Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 Caliber SE, was curious if anyone knows if you can buy the instrument cluster with the tach in it. Wonder if it would be a simple unplug and replug with keeping the mileage the same. Anyone know and if they do, how much the new cluster would be. Thanks in advance.:)

·
Registered
285 Posts
I would imagine cluster is going to be close to $500. And even the 1st Gen Neon had a plug and play cluster, EXCEPT for the odometer. If you're going to get the cluster replaced, you need to go to Dodge, and they're going to have to throw a sticker somewhere on the car to say that the odometer has been changed. It's federal law.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would think that unless you're gonna dig in there yourself, it's not gonna be cheap by any means....Why not just buy a tachometer that you can put anywhere? Or a pod cluster (fits onto "A" pillar). That is a much cheaper, and possibly nicer looking option if you find a real nice one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
With the system these cars use, the mileage is kept in the computer, not the instrument cluster. You can swap out 500 clusters, and your mileage will stay the same. These do not require the sticker, as you are not actually changing the odometer, just the display.

On another note, I am curious if there are wires needed to get the tachometer to work. I can get my hands on a tach for around 100.00 (I have friends in the auto salvage business and can have them pull me one and get it to me quickly and cheaply). I was actually going to call the dealer tomorrow to see what they would charge me. Have any ideas? The cluster can't be that much, it was like a 150.00 option, but the dealer i bought mine from didn't want anything to do with me once i recieved the car (for some reason they don't like to deal with people who use the family discount). So they wouldn't do it, (but the did it for someone else). I don't believe there would be wires.

Also, if i replaced the cluster myself woudl I void the warranty? or should i have a dealer do it, spend the money, and then i don't have to worry about it.

·
Registered
901 Posts
caliberse07 said:
....Also, if i replaced the cluster myself woudl I void the warranty? or should i have a dealer do it, spend the money, and then i don't have to worry about it.
your answer was 2 posts below - and see section 3 of your warranty book.

RobMR3 said:
......If you're going to get the cluster replaced, you need to go to Dodge, and they're going to have to throw a sticker somewhere on the car to say that the odometer has been changed. It's federal law.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Instrument cluster, caliber, w/tachometer 2007 $310.00 $241.80
@ dodgeparts.com
Call yoru dealer and ask if you buy the replacement part they can set your odometer correctly. I still have yet to find out if the odometer itself has stores the milage or if its actually stored in the pcm/ecm. Ill have to look around in my manual and see if they have the replacement procedure. It may be possible to do it yourself if the clusters can be taken apart. You would have to swap the odometer components.

·
Registered
3 Posts
After research, a call to two dealerships and tech service at Dodge, the cluster swap is possible. However, the cluster and the cars main computer brain is in the cluster as well. If you swap the cluster, you have to transfer all of the programming over to the new one. The new one will have nothing on it, and needs to be programmed. So, in short, the answer.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
There is no major PCM/ECM in the cluster. Your dealer may have been talking about the EVIC. Its nothing but an accessory. Sounds more like they were setting themselves up for some nice easy labor $$. Only real concern with a cluster swap is the odometer NVRAM. It may be in the cluster or it may be stored elsewhere in the vehicle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I added a bunch of accesories to daughter's Aztek and the wiring was all in there. Just had to fish for it and plug it in. Keyless remote and cruise control. Wiring, brackets and all were installed. Cheaper for the company to use one harness for all, then charge you a fortune to plug in a 50 cent part! I actually changed the steering column and got the radio controls and all of that stuff as well. I would guess that Dodge only makes one wiring harness. Go fishing and see what you can see!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Instrument cluster

I have a 2008. Instrument cluster lighting is BORING. I have been trying to figure out ways to make it blue. New bulbs won't work, because the existing bulbs are part of the circuit board. Blue mylar overlay looks great when the lights are on, but gauges are too dark to read during the day. Chrysler did beat me to it, with the new instrument cluster lighting for 2011. So now, I'm trying to figure out if the cluster in my car can be replaced with a new '11 cluster. Everything looks to be the same size and with the same holes. The pigtail is identical, except for 1 pin. Does anyone know if this swap is feasible?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Instrument cluster

Second question: Is it possible to brighten the display on the factory radio? Mine is always on dim, regardless of whether the lights are on or not, and is not adjustable via the dimmer switch.

·
Registered
12 Posts
No, it is not. There are actually 2 pins that are different, and the dealer says it won't work. In addition, the "programming" is completely different. I just got an '11, and the lights are NOT blue. I started a new thread on this today.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts