Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my Caliber didn't come with a tach, I've been thinking about replacing the instrument cluster with one that has a tach. I just have a few questions about doing that;

1.) Will the swap be a straight-up swap, or will there be some mods neccessary to get the tach to work (e.g. wiring harness, ECU, etc.)?
2.) Is the odometer info stored in the cluster or elsewhere?
3.) The warranty book states that doing anything to disconnect the odometer will void the warranty. Is replacing the instrument cluster one of those things that will void the warranty through disconnecting the odometer?
4.) Anyone have any clue how much a new instrument cluster costs?
5.) Would it be easier and/or cheaper to just instal an aftermarket add-on tach?

I still find it odd that Dodge will put a tach on a Caliber with an automatic transmission, but sell one with a manual transmission without a tach.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Re: instrument cluster.

I'd say it would be a whole lot easier and cheaper to go with the aftermarket tach. And then you also don't have to worry about the warranty. There are so many cool looking tach's out there, I think it'd be fun just shopping around for one.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Re: instrument cluster.

Not sure about the Caliber, but on my Dakota, there is stored mileage in the instrument cluster, but also stored in the BCM. That's one way the dealer can track odometer fraud. If the odo on the dash doesn't match what the computer tells the service tech. If you ever have to get your dash replaced, the dealer can program the mileage into the instrument cluster to match actual mileage on the vehicle. But I doubt they would let you change clusters just to get a tach.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts