Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, this is beating a dead horse.

Our AWD Caliber has been getting consistent 26 avg. mpg. My wife drives over 100 miles a day lately, 90% or better highway. The 20,000 mile mark is within a days reach.

I have been reading the Compass/Patriot forums and have found that between Caliber and Jeep owners the one big thing that is common is poor gas mileage. EXCEPT for those that drive more than 50 miles per day. As a matter of fact they seem to be getting worse than the Caliber.

A friend owns a Compass (2.4 FWD 5 spd.) and he drives about 90 miles per day 80% highway. Jeep is rated 21/30. He has been averaging 26 after about 2000 miles, started at 23. Still going up I hope.

I just bought a 2007 Sebring with the 2.4 and have already gotten 27 avg. for the first two tanks. 95% highway. Business associate has had his same identical optioned Sebring for almost two months and he is barely getting 22. But, 30 miles per day all city - NO warmup at all. Car is rated 24/32.

I spoke to two Caliber R/T owners who live close and both of them are getting 21-22 avg, but only travel 20 miles per day and ALL city!!!

So, just like we have known for 50+ years, highway mileage is better and all the mileage numbers the car makers list are not very accurate for most of the people!!

We love both the Calliber and the 07 Sebring, and don't really care about the mileage issue. Just keeps me occupied.

PS Anybody know of any 07 Sebring forums, two I found are terrible.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Not beating a dead horse at all.......some people will complain about the mileage when in fact there are so many other factors which contribute for poor gas mileage. Last week I got around 16mpg and wasn't surprized, considering I was warming up the car longer in the morning, and when I left work. Coupled with the fact of using my windshied defroster quite often, and with winter gas.......forget about it!!! 189 miles and I needed to fill the tank!!!!!:eek: . I filled up today and took a trip to my brother's in P.A. (200 mile round trip) and I have just under a half tank left to go!!!!! BIG DIFFERENCE!!!!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
i'm really happy with mine, i drive 20 miles a day all hwy and am getting 26mpg so far with less than 4000 miles.

·
Registered
253 Posts
today mine was 13.5L per 100 km or 17.5 mil per gal but it did sit and run for about 30 minits befor i got in to it it probly idel for over 2 hr in the last week:eek: dam cold air and artic air i am looking forwords to no ice and snow.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Happy with my results. See below.

·
Registered
413 Posts
ty_s said:
today mine was 13.5L per 100 km or 17.5 mil per gal but it did sit and run for about 30 minits befor i got in to it it probly idel for over 2 hr in the last week:eek: dam cold air and artic air i am looking forwords to no ice and snow.
If I were you I would get one of those electric instant heaters to warm the interior. Then I would only warm the engine for a few minutes, and just drive normally until you reach full operating temperature. that way you'll save a little on fuel and engine wear:D .

·
Registered
253 Posts
sorry i do not give a dam about how much gas i use. my work truck will run all day even if i am not in it

·
Registered
413 Posts
ty_s said:
sorry i do not give a dam about how much gas i use. my work truck will run all day even if i am not in it
Then why are you posting in a milage thread?:confused: Just thought I'd give you some helpful info on the cold weather issue you have, but if you want to throw your money away, and pre-maturely wear your engine for no reason.........then by all means....go ahead!!!!!!:(

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
mine has gone up...we got 24.5 mpg the last tank and that was letting it warm up everyday for about 20-25 min. I have stopped complaining about the mpg on the car

·
Registered
343 Posts
Again, I don't have a Caliber, but a Jeep Liberty 4 X 4, and I'm getting 22 mpg, 50 miles per day, mostly highway, in the dead ass cold of Cleveland Ohio

·
Registered
683 Posts
I'm happy with mine. Started out VERY poor at around 18mpg city but now I'm averaging 25mpg city and 29mpg highway.

The one thing that bothers me is the rather large cost of running the A/C. That causes it to drop to 21mpg city and 25mpg highway. Still it's better than my Dodge Ram which only got 14mpg.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My lowest was around 22 mpg (I was getting on the gas alot) and my highest about 27.5 mpg... I average right around 26 - 26.5 MPG on most tanks so far. I drive 70 - 100 miles per day on average in North Carolina. I have the 2.0L with CVT transmission and 3,500 miles so far.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hi Huff...One thing you might be able to do to cut the cost(& MPG decrease) of A/C, is to turn off the A/C while you are accelerating & or going up hills. You know going up hills is bad for mileage. & accelerating is bad for mileage. But accelerating up a hill is really bad on mileage. But accelerating up a hill with the A/C on is really really bad on mileage. As best you can, only run the A/C while moving at a steady pace. I've heard of electronic mechanisms that automatically interrupt the A/C while there is an excess load on the engine. Some of them have been tested by the gov't & found to be one way of increasing your mileage.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Most cars now adays do shut the A/C off under accelleration. My 1999 Amigo was a bit too much on that. Always shut off when starting off from a light even slow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts