Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I notice that there are a few Ipod owners here and I'm about to get one....no doubt a few other people out there are wondering the same thing as well.

My questions (concerning the use in my Cali) are as follows:

1. What is the biggest Ipod that can fit into the arm in the Caliber? Video Ipod, nano etc.

2. What do you do to keep you Ipod charged while listening to it in the car?

3. Is there a dual charger/ FM broadcaster availiable?

4. How hard is it to shuffle the thumbwheel in the holder?

Some other questions about Ipod use:

1. I've heard that there is a bit of a problem getting your music off of your Ipod. Is this true and if so how do you go about retrieving it? (Keep in mind I'll be getting a Windows compatible one.)

2. I'm looking at getting a 30 - 60 gig video. How long does the charge last?

3. How long does the battery last before I have to go and get another one. I understand that they develope a memory after a few years of use.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

·
Registered
33 Posts
Recce by Death said:
I notice that there are a few Ipod owners here and I'm about to get one....no doubt a few other people out there are wondering the same thing as well.

My questions (concerning the use in my Cali) are as follows:

1. What is the biggest Ipod that can fit into the arm in the Caliber? Video Ipod, nano etc.

2. What do you do to keep you Ipod charged while listening to it in the car?

3. Is there a dual charger/ FM broadcaster availiable?

4. How hard is it to shuffle the thumbwheel in the holder?

Some other questions about Ipod use:

1. I've heard that there is a bit of a problem getting your music off of your Ipod. Is this true and if so how do you go about retrieving it? (Keep in mind I'll be getting a Windows compatible one.)

2. I'm looking at getting a 30 - 60 gig video. How long does the charge last?

3. How long does the battery last before I have to go and get another one. I understand that they develope a memory after a few years of use.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
1. The arm-rest is built more around the Video/4th Gen size ipods, it is not size adjustable. If you have a case on your video iPod, it most likely wont fit easily in there. I have used mine twice, once when I got the car, and once to see if I could jam it in there with the case on. It's really pretty useless as an iPod holder because they even say on the armrest not to leave the holder open while driving, and its uncomfortable if you use the arm rest as an actual arm rest with the iPod holder open.

Overall, a pretty poorly executed feature.

To answer 2 and 3, One of the absolute BEST iPod Charger/Transmitters is the Kensington Transmitter.

http://us.kensington.com/html/6402.html

Review:
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ipod/review/kensington-digital-fm-transmitter-auto-charger-for-ipod-ipod/

Get it from Buy.com and use Google Checkouts $20 off $50 to get it for dirt cheap.

http://www.buy.com/prod/Kensington_FM_Digital_Transmitter_Auto_Charger_for_iPod_33185/q/loc/101/10407004.html

I guess they have it in black now too...

http://www.buy.com/prod/Kensington_Black_Digital_FM_Transmitter_Charger_for_iPod/q/loc/101/203112351.html

I have used mine almost constantly for over a year. We took it down to Florida and everything. Only complaint is that it does not let you go directly to 87.9, which is the best channel to use it on, you have to hold down the last two button and then hit the channel change to go to 87.9. Its a "lock out" because technically transmitting on 87.7 and 87.9 is in the gray area of being legal.

4. I don't know I hate the holder. Just use the space under the radio, or get a dock. If you use the spot under the radio just get a piece of velcro to hold the ipod in there so it does not slide out when you accelerate. This also allows you to just grab it and change stuff when you need to.

iPod Info:
1. You cannot get music off the iPod using iTunes, but there are MANY applications out there that allow you to do it. I can't remember the name of the one I use, but iLounge.com is a great source for iPod info.

2. I have a 30 gig video, I use it daily, but am almost always charging it. But during times when I cannot charge it, I get at least ten hours out of it playing music and 3-4 hours playing video. The newer iPod firmware lets you adjust the brightness, and keeping it lower improves battery life.

3. Battery memory has been mostly eliminated using modern rechargable battery types. But batteries do lose their ability to hold charge after a few hundred charges. I suggest getting the AppleCare on your iPod, because with the iPod's track record, you are more likely to have it die on you due to a mechanical failure than you are to have the battery go.

Having said all this, you really should consider the Creative Zen Vision M. It has a screen that displays thousands more colors than the iPod Video (And looks so much better because of it), has a reported better battery life, great controls, and supports more formats, and it has a FM Tuner/recorder and Voice Recorder.

If nothing comes out that beats that, from Apple or otherwise, one of these will be my next buy. It won't work with iTunes, but I wont lose any sleep over that considering I only use iTunes once a month if that, and its nothing I could not get elsewhere.

Edit: Forgot to say, Buy.com has the Creative Vision M in many different colors for $199.99, use the Google Checkout again to get $20 off, making it $179.99, and with the black or white Vision, you get free shipping.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you choose to do. If you need any help with anything, PM me, or check out iLounge. They have reviews for cases and everything (iSkin makes some amazing cases, the Claro is the newest and is sweet, I just got one).

·
Registered
746 Posts
look up vpod. it'll take everything off of your ipod. but be warned when you take it off of your ipod, it takes it off... so if you were hoping it would have just copied it then you're sol. if you want it back on, you'll have to put it back on without the application

·
Registered
33 Posts
I remember now the app I use, it is called YamiPod.

http://www.yamipod.com/main/

It will just copy music off your iPod and not take it off. Plus it now has support for moving videos and podcasts and that. Its a great program.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I've been meaning to check out Yamipod for a little while now, I hear it's pretty good. So far I've using Anapod Explorer with out any problems...except when the v1.2 firmware come out and everything was duplicated after updating ;) I love how Anapod integrates into Windows.

As for using the wheel in the holder, I don't mind it much. I move the ipod all the way down until the Play/Pause part of it is in the little cut out part at the bottom, makes it easy to find my way around the wheel with out looking. I've also been leaving the holder open, and moving the arm rest all the way forward. With my hands on the wheel, my arm doesn't really touch the arm rest at all.

Most of the time, I just put it on Shuffle and leave it like that.

I have a 60gb 5th gen iPod, the battery lasts about 22 hours (playing at approx. medium volume on shuffle). That seems to be average for the battery life according to various people out there.

Is there a difference between Apple Care and something like a Bestbuy or Futureshop extended warranty? I got a 3 year extended warranty from Bestbuy. It was a little cheaper than the Apple Care package, and they claim it covers the same things.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Principal said:
I've been meaning to check out Yamipod for a little while now, I hear it's pretty good. So far I've using Anapod Explorer with out any problems...except when the v1.2 firmware come out and everything was duplicated after updating ;) I love how Anapod integrates into Windows.

As for using the wheel in the holder, I don't mind it much. I move the ipod all the way down until the Play/Pause part of it is in the little cut out part at the bottom, makes it easy to find my way around the wheel with out looking. I've also been leaving the holder open, and moving the arm rest all the way forward. With my hands on the wheel, my arm doesn't really touch the arm rest at all.

Most of the time, I just put it on Shuffle and leave it like that.

I have a 60gb 5th gen iPod, the battery lasts about 22 hours (playing at approx. medium volume on shuffle). That seems to be average for the battery life according to various people out there.

Is there a difference between Apple Care and something like a Bestbuy or Futureshop extended warranty? I got a 3 year extended warranty from Bestbuy. It was a little cheaper than the Apple Care package, and they claim it covers the same things.
I worked for Best Buy for a short time before College, and it was terrible. But I learned a lot about the inner-workings of the company. For one, the service plans are 95% profit, and are not there to help the customer. They teach many of their techs to look for any little thing to cancel the plan, and their are many backdoors for them to cancel it if they want.

Applecare on the other hand, is probably one of the greatest services in the world to deal with. You basically walk into any Apple store and they take the iPod, go in the back, and grab a new one, and hand it to you (as long as it isn't an easy to fix problem). They will do this for just about every problem short of you throwing it in a pool or losing it.

Also the offer extended phone support, and a lot more. I am anything but an Apple supporter, outside of this iPod I own nothing of theirs, and as I said I would love to have some other players out there. But their service is the best I have ever had to deal with.

So I think its worth the little extra. I know someone who has a Best Buy warranty, and the crap he has had to deal with, makes me never want to see anyone go through the Best Buy BS again.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Same with Futureshop. They were ok with optical drives for a little while, then went to hell.

Theres a few web sites out there that tell BB and FS horror stories. For the most part, I avoid the contracts. But with the ipod....well....I dont know why I got it :)

Sometimes they work out though, I had two remote controls that went bad recently. I had to call their number, and they mailed out two $369 gift cards. I didn't even have to return the remotes. That was pretty sweet. One remote just had trouble charging, I didn't even bother with replacing that.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Don't forget,in Canada Best Buy owns Futureshop birds of the same feather!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
not sure if this was answered in all of the replies or not...but you originally asked if theres a way to play/charge the ipod....the kensington model shown in the first reply is good...but i got the dealership to install (for free :)) a plug that is on the opposite side of the cigarette lighter that plugs into the bottom of the ipod and runs directly through 87.9 only....im not sure how it works but it seems to be playing like its hardwired to the stereo...and charges as well...so i would look into that option...not sure what its worth but its direct from the dealership

·
Registered
33 Posts
snorkafunk said:
not sure if this was answered in all of the replies or not...but you originally asked if theres a way to play/charge the ipod....the kensington model shown in the first reply is good...but i got the dealership to install (for free :)) a plug that is on the opposite side of the cigarette lighter that plugs into the bottom of the ipod and runs directly through 87.9 only....im not sure how it works but it seems to be playing like its hardwired to the stereo...and charges as well...so i would look into that option...not sure what its worth but its direct from the dealership
Sounds like a wired FM Modulator.

It works through a small box behind the dash that is connected to a power wire, usually by the radio. It then plugs into the radio antenna plug in the back of the radio, and the regular antenna plug goes into the box. It sounds like it also has a plug for the iPod. So what it does is the box allows you to tune to all FM Channels, but when you tune to 87.9, it blocks the signal from all other stations, and only inputs through 87.9.

It gives you a 99% static free sound, but it still only has the dynamic range of FM, which is about half as good as a cassette adapter or direct connection.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts