Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if it's posible to chrome plate the plastic side mirrors and door handles?

I either want to paint them the body color (silver) or chrome plate them (like what some of the PT-cruisers have).

Where could one have the chrome plating done?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
GOT said:
Anyone know if it's posible to chrome plate the plastic side mirrors and door handles?

I either want to paint them the body color (silver) or chrome plate them (like what some of the PT-cruisers have).

Where could one have the chrome plating done?
I'm not sure if anyone can chrome plate the existing ones, but I'm sure whoever makes the chrome PT ones will soon make them for Caliber. I know you can chrome/rechrome metal, but I'm not sure of the process for plastic:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,277 Posts
Here's what you do:

Sand.
Primer.
Sand.
Primer.
Sand.
This stuff:

Sand.
This stuff:

Sand.
Clearcoat.
Clearcoat.
Clearcoat.

:D:D:eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
caliber4whoosh said:
Hmm, it even has a picture of the PT-cruiser on it... LOL.

I'll have to get me a can of that and try it on something plastic (something not on the car... in case it looks like crap).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,277 Posts
Haha...I googled chrome spray paint and voila! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
The Caliber has the same door handles as the Magnum and 300. All you need to do is look in the aftermarket or ebay for chrome door handle covers for the Magnum or 300. Its that simple. If you want to paint them, sand and paint the chrome covers, I think that would be easier than trying to paint the stock black textured handles. Then, it you want to change it back, you just rip off the covers. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
good info to know, what other parts have been re-used

is the suspension the same as any other vehicle? i'm dying to get some lowering springs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,277 Posts
ib2loud said:
good info to know, what other parts have been re-used

is the suspension the same as any other vehicle?
i'm dying to get some lowering springs
As far as I know, it's the same as almost all other Calibers..:D:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
moparknighthawk said:
The Caliber has the same door handles as the Magnum and 300. All you need to do is look in the aftermarket or ebay for chrome door handle covers for the Magnum or 300.
SWEET! Going to visit the Dodge lot tomorrow to check things out then.:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
I wish there was an easier way to spray the door handles the color of the body. I'm just not diggin' the sand them down smooth and then shot them with paint. I don't want it too monochromatic but those things look hidious, like they belong on a work truck.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,514 Posts
rcompart said:
I wish there was an easier way to spray the door handles the color of the body. I'm just not diggin' the sand them down smooth and then shot them with paint. I don't want it too monochromatic but those things look hidious, like they belong on a work truck.
I second that thought!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I visited both the local Dodge and Chrysler dealers today to look at the handles of the Magnum and the 300. They are indeed the same handles. BUT, the internal mechanisms look slightly different. When you pull hte handles out you can see the part that fits inside the door and that part is a little different on them all.

I have to see if I can get me a handle off a recked 300/Magnum to play with to determin if it'll work. Those chrome 300 handles are beautiful... for a handle that is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,277 Posts
rcompart- Pep Boys has some Custom Chrome stuff that Tony Rome used, that might work. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
GOT said:
I visited both the local Dodge and Chrysler dealers today to look at the handles of the Magnum and the 300. They are indeed the same handles. BUT, the internal mechanisms look slightly different. When you pull hte handles out you can see the part that fits inside the door and that part is a little different on them all.

I have to see if I can get me a handle off a recked 300/Magnum to play with to determin if it'll work. Those chrome 300 handles are beautiful... for a handle that is.
You do not need the whole handle. If you re-read my post you can get handle COVERS on the internet and ebay. That way you can have chrome or paint them any color you want. Then just stick them on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
moparknighthawk said:
You do not need the whole handle. If you re-read my post you can get handle COVERS on the internet and ebay. That way you can have chrome or paint them any color you want. Then just stick them on.
Thanks. I've seen those covers. I'm not sure I want those (they must make the handle bigger and it won't be real enough for me)... especially for what they are costing. I can almost get the actual handles for those prices and I'm sure the real handles will look a lot better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
173 Posts
PUTCO makes some Chrome Covers for the 300/Magnum, but they are $99.95 MSRP, yet the OEM chrome 300C door handles are $89.99 for the set.

EDIT: These are for the Mopar Dub Edition Accessory Handles, which are the exact same door handles that the 300C uses, except Mopar offers them as a set for $89.99. This is much cheaper than ordering the OEM part number for the handles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, I can't imagine those covers looking as good as the actual handle. They are charging WAY TOO MUCH for those covers. I can see spending 20-30 for them, but 80... not for ghetto-gear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
361 Posts
While it's not the same as a car, I know a couple people who have used chrome auto paint on their XBox game consoles. Seems to have worked out fine, didn't melt the plastic or anything. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Principal said:
While it's not the same as a car, I know a couple people who have used chrome auto paint on their XBox game consoles. Seems to have worked out fine, didn't melt the plastic or anything. ;)
Well, heh... I picked up some of that chrome paint stuff and tried it out on several plastic things in the garage. Man it looks like crap. I mean it looks cool for some plastic toy or something the kids want to have chromed, but it will look hideous on a car (it's a completely different chrome look). It was a shot in the dark, and now I know:D

I'm going to see if a local metal-finishing company can do it for me (and hopefully they will take small-fry, one-time customers like me with little car gadgets to finish... and for a reasonable price).
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top