Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is it unnecessary heavy? It seems so to me. I mean, how could a car like the Mazda 3 be lighter than the Caliber, even though it's larger? Did Dodge want people to feel as if they were in a heavier car when in the Caliber? If so, I think they could've have achieved that without the excess weight.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
384 Posts
I didn't know the Mazda 3 was bigger than the Caliber. It seems much smaller...

·
Registered
162 Posts
I personally don't care how heavy it is. I didn't buy it for its weight but for what it could do. Anyway, I am sure that you could dump alot of that weight by after-market mod work.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I don't know about unnecessarily heavy: according to edmonds the Mazda3 hatchback weighs 2826lbs and the caliber 3039. 213 lbs? I just feel more solid in it. I drove the sedan on the mazda but I just never have liked the looks of the Mazda3 hatchback. But since I was t-boned in my last car and pushed clear across an intersection I wanted to feel more solid. :rolleyes: We all have our reasons for what we want.

·
Registered
162 Posts
savimia said:
I don't know about unnecessarily heavy: according to edmonds the Mazda3 hatchback weighs 2826lbs and the caliber 3039. 213 lbs? I just feel more solid in it. I drove the sedan on the mazda but I just never have liked the looks of the Mazda3 hatchback. But since I was t-boned in my last car and pushed clear across an intersection I wanted to feel more solid. :rolleyes: We all have our reasons for what we want.
That was one of the selling points for my wife. She said that she didn't feel like she was in a small car. I believe her exact words were "I like the Caliber cause it's Beefy". :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
Remember that the caliber was built to be worldwide release car for the Dodge brand in other countries, so it was designed to pass all the safety standards for every country it will be released in. In doing that DCX did not want to have to build many different variations of the vehicle for all the different standards, so they built one car that would pass all the standards. This is not a bad thing! Some countries have more lax safety standards than the US, but other countries have tougher standards. This could be the best answer for the caliber's somewhat bulky weight.

·
Registered
245 Posts
clockmaker said:
Remember that the caliber was built to be worldwide release car for the Dodge brand in other countries, so it was designed to pass all the safety standards for every country it will be released in. In doing that DCX did not want to have to build many different variations of the vehicle for all the different standards, so they built one car that would pass all the standards. This is not a bad thing! Some countries have more lax safety standards than the US, but other countries have tougher standards. This could be the best answer for the caliber's somewhat bulky weight.
Bingo,

The Caliber is considered a heavy vehicle by standards of the past. As demand for more safety equipment grew, so did each vehicles weight. The Caliber sits over 3000lbs in order to provide the level of security and durability engineered to the highest international standards.

From this forum alone you can read of a few incidents where Calibers have been involved in serious accidents where the passengers have walked away unharmed. Its during those times you thank your vehicle for being so "beefy" and potentially saving your life.

Crush Zones, reinforced beams and advanced safety systems all add additional weight but consider what you’re getting in return.

Here's a weight comparison to other vehicles in the Dodge fleet.
Caliber 3039lbs
Charger 3800lbs
Grand Caravan 4252lbs
Durango 4823lbs

·
Registered
267 Posts
clockmaker said:
Remember that the caliber was built to be worldwide release car for the Dodge brand in other countries, so it was designed to pass all the safety standards for every country it will be released in. In doing that DCX did not want to have to build many different variations of the vehicle for all the different standards, so they built one car that would pass all the standards.
Why did they put an ugly antenna on the North American Calibers and a cool one in a better spot on the European ones?:confused: LOL just an observation...:cool:

·
Registered
162 Posts
RadioDude said:
Why did they put an ugly antenna on the North American Calibers and a cool one in a better spot on the European ones?:confused: LOL just an observation...:cool:
It is all part of the "multiple usage" features for the Caliber. Just like your rear light doubles as a flashlight, the front antenna doubles as both a sword to fight off car jackers and as a fishing pole for use if you are trapped in the woods! Dodge is constantly thinking!:D

·
Registered
384 Posts
I agree the car is beefy (I said that to my hubby too, lol!) and I definitely do not feel like I am in a small car when I am in it.

Also, I agree the antenna is ugly and in a bad spot. Dodge kind of went backwards on that one, didn't most old cars have it there? I think it is because of the weird spoiler?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yeah the antenna bugs me because it is huge, yet I get crappy reception. I don't listen to the radio all that often but when I do I can't pick up some of the stations around me. My wifes Civic has an integrated one that works very nice. I guess though you just have to give and take when you buy a vehicle that is designed to be afforable. I think I am going to swap mine out for a nice 9 inch one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
clockmaker said:
Even so, it would seem that it's only in the U.S. that people like heavy cars, but this is changing. It would have been a safer bet (and I think a better one) if the Caliber was lighter. It would have benefited it more in all, if not most, of the foreign markets. An ever-increasing number of Americans would like it also. The car's performance and MPG would improve.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
SXTANDME said:
It is all part of the "multiple usage" features for the Caliber. Just like your rear light doubles as a flashlight, the front antenna doubles as both a sword to fight off car jackers and as a fishing pole for use if you are trapped in the woods! Dodge is constantly thinking!:D
Thats funny right there!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Emawk said:
Is it unnecessary heavy? It seems so to me. I mean, how could a car like the Mazda 3 be lighter than the Caliber, even though it's larger? Did Dodge want people to feel as if they were in a heavier car when in the Caliber? If so, I think they could've have achieved that without the excess weight.

What do you guys think?
Consider that the Caliber chassis will be used for the new Jeeps: Compass and Patriot. Perhaps the requirement for increased torsional rigidity for Jeeps required a stiffer body.

Seems to me its a plus for Caliber. Crashability is improved! :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Vision67 said:
Consider that the Caliber chassis will be used for the new Jeeps: Compass and Patriot. Perhaps the requirement for increased torsional rigidity for Jeeps required a stiffer body.

Vision67 said:

Those are some very good reasons. I totaly forgot that it shares its platform with 2 SUVs. And improved crashability is the one of the benfits (probably the only one) of the excess weight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MlQOcoG05Y&search=Dodge%20Caliber

For an economy car, it seems to be a very safe one...compared to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRuo9rWuPYk&search=Toyota%20Yaris

I know, I know -- It's not that much of a fair comparison.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Not to get off subject but has anyone actually seen a Yaris? I am wondering how small they really are?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
DodgeInfoCenter said:
The Caliber is considered a heavy vehicle by standards of the past. As demand for more safety equipment grew, so did each vehicles weight. The Caliber sits over 3000lbs in order to provide the level of security and durability engineered to the highest international standards.

From this forum alone you can read of a few incidents where Calibers have been involved in serious accidents where the passengers have walked away unharmed. Its during those times you thank your vehicle for being so "beefy" and potentially saving your life.

Crush Zones, reinforced beams and advanced safety systems all add additional weight but consider what you’re getting in return.

Here's a weight comparison to other vehicles in the Dodge fleet.
Caliber 3039lbs
Charger 3800lbs
Grand Caravan 4252lbs
Durango 4823lbs
HOLLY BS Batman! The chillzone is an AC vent into an empty space, it does not add 300 lbs, my goodness that was a lame answer. Yes it is to fat, here are some direct competitors, not full sized SUV's and minivans (weight problems across the lineup isn't something to be proud of).

The Charger SRT8 is 4160LBS, the CTS-V is 3850, the Mustang GT 3450lbs, the Camaro is rumoured to be 3500lbs and the GTO 3725lbs which makes the dodge nearly 400lbs heavier than the competition. Sounds similar to the Caliber, 300lbs more than the competition

Caliber
Curb weight: 3039
Height: 60.4
Length: 173.8
Wheelbase: 103.7
Width: 68.8
Cargo volume: 18.5
Passenger volume: 95.2

Mazda 3
Curb weight: 2826
Height: 57.7
Length: 176.6
Wheelbase: 103.9
Width: 69.1
Cargo volume: 17.1
Passenger volume: 95.3

Matrix/Vibe
Curb weight: 2701
Height: 61.6
Length: 171.3
Wheelbase: 102.4
Width: 69.9
Cargo volume: 22
Passenger volume: 96.2

Summary of that is the Matrix is the middle/smallest in exterior dimensions and offers the MOST interior space all for 300LBS less than the caliber does. Both the matrix and mazda had 5 star crash tests so don't get all excited that the caliber weighs less than a caravan.

Dodge got out engineered on space utilization and it took them 300 more lbs to do it... luckily they found 300hp in the process to make up for the weight and space dissadvantage

·
Registered
162 Posts
Unoriginalusername said:
HOLLY BS Batman! The chillzone is an AC vent into an empty space, it does not add 300 lbs, my goodness that was a lame answer. Yes it is to fat, here are some direct competitors, not full sized SUV's and minivans (weight problems across the lineup isn't something to be proud of).

The Charger SRT8 is 4160LBS, the CTS-V is 3850, the Mustang GT 3450lbs, the Camaro is rumoured to be 3500lbs and the GTO 3725lbs which makes the dodge nearly 400lbs heavier than the competition. Sounds similar to the Caliber, 300lbs more than the competition

Caliber
Curb weight: 3039
Height: 60.4
Length: 173.8
Wheelbase: 103.7
Width: 68.8
Cargo volume: 18.5
Passenger volume: 95.2

Mazda 3
Curb weight: 2826
Height: 57.7
Length: 176.6
Wheelbase: 103.9
Width: 69.1
Cargo volume: 17.1
Passenger volume: 95.3

Matrix/Vibe
Curb weight: 2701
Height: 61.6
Length: 171.3
Wheelbase: 102.4
Width: 69.9
Cargo volume: 22
Passenger volume: 96.2

Summary of that is the Matrix is the middle/smallest in exterior dimensions and offers the MOST interior space all for 300LBS less than the caliber does. Both the matrix and mazda had 5 star crash tests so don't get all excited that the caliber weighs less than a caravan.

Dodge got out engineered on space utilization and it took them 300 more lbs to do it... luckily they found 300hp in the process to make up for the weight and space dissadvantage
"Crush Zones" not Chill Zone. Reading is fundamental.:D

·
Registered
267 Posts
SXTANDME said:
Not to get off subject but has anyone actually seen a Yaris? I am wondering how small they really are?
Remember the Toyota Echo? It's about that size, also the Honda Fit. Think "Geo Metro".

1 - 20 of 37 Posts