Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I think I would not want an aftermarket GPS, unless it was indash installed. I have had my car broken into twice in the last two years, and I think having $900 suction-cupped to my windsheild would be asking for trouble.

Does anyone know if the OEM GPS system is connected to the car's computer? That is, will it tell me when it time for scheduled maint? Are there any screenshots out there of the OEM GPS?

I have heard that if you get it, you lose the aux audio port. Is that true?

Just my forst few questions....

·
Registered
683 Posts
The Chrysler REC Navigation stereo works and looks great! I installed one in my Caliber a few months ago. The Calibers computer does not tell it when scheduled maint. is due. However, it does allow entry for maintanance items based on mileage. Since the GPS unit knows how far you've traveled it can alert you to most any maintanance you program into it.

The REC unit does not have an aux. audio port. There is a company that makes an adapter to add one. I haven't bothered with that myself. It holds 6 CD's worth of MP3's which works fine for me.

Installation is fairly simple. You'll have to purchase a new center bezel since the REC unit is much larger than the stock stereo. It plugs into the factory harness so no wiring is needed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, thanks for the info!

Do you happen to know the exact model number of both the GPS unit (I'm not sure what you meant by REC) and the bezel I would need? I just want to make sure I get the right thing...

·
Registered
683 Posts
I'll lookup tonight the exact Mopar part number for the Navigation stereo that fits. REC refers to the model number of the unit. On all Chrysler/Dodge stereos next to the volume knob you'll see a tiny label with the model number. Stock stereos for the Caliber are the RAQ, RAK or REF. The Nav unit is the REC. You want the latest revision of that as well as a newer revision of the mapping DVD so I'll look up those numbers tonight.

The bezel part number you need depends on the color you want. It should match the color of your existing bezel unless you wish to change it. If you change colors you'll also need to replace the shifter bezel to match. The dealers are expensive and have trouble finding these. I'll have to check where I ordered mine from. Cost of the bezel is around $55 which also includes a mounting bracket thats needed.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just want to add that the OEM system is made by Alpine.

Great systems, i definately reccomend it. I am one of those people who like to keep the stock look. It will interface with the car for things like speed and such. Furthermore, since it controls the vehicle sound system, it will automatically lower music volume when voice commands come on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Huff said:
I'll lookup tonight the exact Mopar part number for the Navigation stereo that fits. REC refers to the model number of the unit. On all Chrysler/Dodge stereos next to the volume knob you'll see a tiny label with the model number. Stock stereos for the Caliber are the RAQ, RAK or REF. The Nav unit is the REC. You want the latest revision of that as well as a newer revision of the mapping DVD so I'll look up those numbers tonight.

The bezel part number you need depends on the color you want. It should match the color of your existing bezel unless you wish to change it. If you change colors you'll also need to replace the shifter bezel to match. The dealers are expensive and have trouble finding these. I'll have to check where I ordered mine from. Cost of the bezel is around $55 which also includes a mounting bracket thats needed.
Howdy Huff,

Did you ever find those numbers?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I used part number 82208653AG for my install. It has the revised joystick that was designed to last longer than the older units.

the dash bezels are:

YZ081RHAB - Inferno Red
YZ081B6AB - Marine Blue
YZ081Z2AB - Satin Silver
YZ081YHAB - Solar Yellow
YZ081V6AB - Sunburst Orange

The bracket is 5291823AB

·
Registered
94 Posts
When I went to order the in dash unit, the dealer said that it was not compatible with my Sirus radio, so now Tom Tom tells me were to go.

·
Registered
683 Posts
steveb said:
When I went to order the in dash unit, the dealer said that it was not compatible with my Sirus radio, so now Tom Tom tells me were to go.
Your dealer was wrong. I have the in dash REC Navigation unit with Sirius. Simple installation. Just unplugged the old stereo and plugged in the new, and replaced the console trim to fit the larger size.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I did the same installation in my SXt. Got the REC NAV receiver off ebay. Already had factory Sirius. Simple plug and play. Only difficult part was positioning the GPS antenna up under the dash, necessary to remove front dash cover. It just snaps off..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts