Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i'm at the end of my rope and ready to YELL!!
Chain of events.....

Decided we're going for the new car, Took the caliber for a drive and decided lets go for it. Signed the paper work for finacing and asked that a auto start be put on when i come to pick the car up wed's.

spoke to salesman that when we came in on wed's were on a time scheduel and need to have all paperwork out of the way asap as b/f need to head to work. No big deal. Auto start install wasnt finished so I was given the salesmans car and told to come back in an hour or so.
Came back and was shown how to use the auto start, given al lthe paper waork and sent on my way with my car.

got into the car and the radio wasnt on, no big deal. On my way out and heading home, trying to get the radio to work nope wouldnt, and my air bag
light kept coming on and dinging at me.

Got home and take out the manual to see WTF is going on, i have power and no sound. Nope its not an issue of being blonde and not knowing how to work it. Call the dealer and ask wtf is going on and mention that the airbag light keeps dinging. He says bring the it in > OK

Head back in and the radio works > WTF mate! get around the corner and no radio. Get into the dealer and explain to service whats going on and they take the car. Rest the airbag light, but cant get the radio to work.So they are going to order a new one for me> no big deal.

Get the radio installed on friday.. everythings great :)

few days later I cant lock my car using the key fob. B/f & g/f and myself are off to the gym. We get out and i got to lock the car and it wont, so i have to use the inside power switch.

Come out and the doors wont unlock with the key fob, so i have to use my key.. well as soon as i open the door the alarm goes off until i start the car.
First thing monday morning call the dealer and explain what happened.

They take the car for about an hr or so and cant get it to act up or figure out what went wrong. So off i go, and told to call when it acts up again.

Out with my girl friend shopping made about 3/4 stops no big deal. Come out of the mall use the auto start and off we go locks work fine. Get out of the car after driving throug hthe parking lot to swiss chalet and key fob wont lock the doors. Again use the inside power lock and head in for lunch. Come out and of course the key fob isnt going to unlock but hey we'll try. Sure enough it doesnt, so i call the dealer that is just down the street and he says come in monday > WTF. so in I go monday and leave my car with him for 2 days. They cant get it to act up.

Get my car back and it acts up again, this time when i called i said i'm coming in with the car and want the remote start unhooked. No big deal. Drove the car for 5 days and no problems key fob worked.

Thursday at 330 i'm gettting the remote plugged back in lets see if it screws up. Yep, Rona parking lot saturday morning, filled with people the key fob wont lock the car. So i again use the inside power switch lock the car ndd go do my shopping. When i got intoside Rona I called my sales man and told him its messed up again. He said call first thing tuesday morning and talk with service and get it switched out for a new one. NP!

After using the key to get back into my car i drive home no big deal. Get home and key fob works :eek: Leave about 20 mins later and go to the store ckey fob wont lock :eek: gave up and didnt bother locking it. Headed back home and doors lock when i arrive (via key fob):rolleyes:
So this morning i'm on way to get my nails done and call the dealer explain whats happen since thursday and they need to order me a new auto start and set up a day to have that installed. I'm told yeah we'll call you back once we speak to dodge. Well i get out of the car to get my nails done and key fob wont lock car.. :mad: ( really getting pissed now)
1130 head over to the dealer because they havent called and i'm told they need to speak with the engineer at dodge and see what they will do, i freaked out. Salesman said he's going to speak with head of service and see what is going on. As it turns out he was just waiting to hear back from dodge, and will call me asap.

230 I get a call from the service guy and he wants me to give him a run down on what has been going on from the start.. OMFG have you not been documenting this everytime i call? So as i'm telling him this again, I hear the machenic yelling in the background " just tell her to keep using it until it acts up again, i've had it here and tried it 20 x and nothing, everything works fine." Well I snapped!!

hung up from him and called my saleman and left a msg on his phone that i was going to be intouch with dodge myself and let them know what is going and that i'm not going to be told to keep using it.
it wasnt 15 mins later and he calls back, they will call me as soon as the new starter arrives and will have it installed asap.

Hmmm was that so hard?

So now my questions is, do you not think that something in that remote start is shorting out the key fob? Yes i know that they arent connected, but it seems odd they when the auto start was unplgged the key fob worked fine. Soon after being plugged back in it doesnt work. How are is that to figure out that the remote start is malfunctioning?

Sorry for the rant.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Sounds to me like they screwed up the install and it's causing problems. Unless they figure it out when they put the new one in, I'm going to guess that even with the new remote start installed, you are just going to have problems, unless they pull thier heads out of thier asses and figure out what they did wrong during the original install.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HSKR said:
Sounds to me like they screwed up the install and it's causing problems. Unless they figure it out when they put the new one in, I'm going to guess that even with the new remote start installed, you are just going to have problems, unless they pull thier heads out of thier asses and figure out what they did wrong during the original install.
totally hear you there. I think someone needs to remove someones head.
but we'll see.
I have an appt on thursday with another dealer, i'm going to see what they have to say/do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I too have remote start and have had some issues with it, almost exactly what you've described has happened to me twice.

The car won't lock with the key remote, then I lock it from the inside. When I go to open it, the remote key won't work then I use the key manually. When I do the alarm goes off. Then I start the car to stop the alarm. Then, after I turn the car off again I can use the key remote to control the locks.

Very strange, yet isn't really too important of a problem for me yet. I'll probably bring it up to them when I take it in for the 1000 mile check up this Friday. I think the problem has to do with a conflict of signals in the signal spectrum or a conflict between the circuits and the car's computer.

Other than this minor issue the car is a dream.:D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^ I agree with you but the problem will get on your nerves.
My car is in now, tomorrow they will be replacing the remote starter with a new one. Lets hope i dont have the same issue, if thats the case i'm going to a$$ume its the installer messing things up and will go else where.

I'll keep you up on things.
In the meantime I'm driving a PT cruiser and loving it. It goes around corners wonderfully.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Another example of Don't Pay For The Car Until you Drive It and Make Sure EVERYTHING WORKS and Do not pick it up in the dark. You need to go over the complete car and look for bad fit,paint and any thing that might be missing. Have it all corrected first before you give them the check. You won't believe how fast it all gets corrected.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
steveb said:
Another example of Don't Pay For The Car Until you Drive It and Make Sure EVERYTHING WORKS and Do not pick it up in the dark. You need to go over the complete car and look for bad fit,paint and any thing that might be missing. Have it all corrected first before you give them the check. You won't believe how fast it all gets corrected.
The car worked when i bought it, when i signed the paper work. I figured it would be nice to have the auto start installed before picking it up.
Hmm they messed something up what can i say. I guess the situation would be no different if i would have taken the car as is without the auto start and gone back a few weeks later to have it put in. The issue would have still happened and it would have been paid for. The problem with the keyfob didnt start until a few days or so after having he car.

Either way i would be in the same boat. Good thing there is warrenty :) because i'm using it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
When I was special-ordering my Caliber, I wanted to get the Security package (of course), as well as an auto-start.
The dealer told me that there have been some bugs when you get both, probably because of some problem in the wiring harness or the electrical system. He recommended that I choose one, and then have an after-market version of the other installed at a later time.
Being in a cold climate, I of course chose the auto-start. Haven't gotten my car yet, so I can't tell you if I get similar issues, but...

Also of note:
My boss just bought a Ram from the same dealership, and the Mopar auto-start caused similar problems for him. Granted, his truck is a diesel, but it does also have the security system. I thought it was interesting.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I got my new auto start installed today. I've used it twice so far and locked my car 3x.
So far so good but its only been a few hours :)

I'm about to head out so we'll see how thing go. I hope things are taken care of.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well just when i was going to call me s/a and let him know everything we working well it stopped.
it happened 4x in a mater of hours, so now its been unplugged again and i'm just waiting to hear from chy financing to see how they are going to refund me.
I'm not at all impressed, this is a feature i wanted since i have it in my neon. But if i go with after market then i'm going to void my electical wart. Not good.

So on that note i'm suck with this car now for 4 yrs and this has left a bad taste with me. I have a feeling i wont be going back to Chy for another car :( Unless it has this option from the factory.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
1SXYcaliber said:
But if i go with after market then i'm going to void my electical wart. Not good.
It will NOT void your electrical warranty. And if the dealer told you that, then it's time to find another dealer. Unless the problem is directly elated to the installof the aftermarket system, then Dodge still has to fix it. So, say your dash lights stop working. An Aftermarket remote start has nothing to do with the dash lights. It will still be covered under the warranty.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hmmm, i will have to check this out at another dealer.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I've installed just about everything from electrical to motor mods on my cars and trucks, all aftermarket, never had an issue with warranty. Hell, my Nissan dealer waved an code check (even though I knew it was due to my aircharger)

My only concern for you now is if Dodge screwed up the wiring enough with their 2 installs, that going aftermarket might be a problem now. No one likes splicing spliced work.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thought all this stuff that the dealer was doing it all plug and play no wire cutting?

My concern too is that he's messed something up and is this an issue i'm going to have no matter what?

·
Registered
37 Posts
My boss got his installed at a customization shop, and the dealer not only paid for it, they wrote an addendum to his warranty contract that stated that the aftermarket autostart would in no way void the warranty.

He's completely happy now.

·
Registered
82 Posts
call the vender of the remote start and get the answers from them i use to install them for chrysler and had some minor problems that were fixed quickly

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have installed remote start in all my cars through the years, and every now and then I find the remote won't do its job. I have noticed that this happens in front of banks, and some industrial buildings. I think that it is the security systems in these buildings interfering with my small RF signal.

If you have this problem, go back to where you observed it. Put the car exactly where it was (RF is finikey) I'll bet you will see it happen again.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
dbacon said:
I have installed remote start in all my cars through the years, and every now and then I find the remote won't do its job. I have noticed that this happens in front of banks, and some industrial buildings. I think that it is the security systems in these buildings interfering with my small RF signal.

If you have this problem, go back to where you observed it. Put the car exactly where it was (RF is finikey) I'll bet you will see it happen again.
the issue with the remote start is that it works off the same frequency as the keyless entry.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Guess I didnt come back an update this thread, its over yr old.

The auto start was removed after they tired 2, and I still hd the same issue. It was removed I was given a check for what I paid and its out.

I did what I could to help them and I got nothing but BS from the service dept.
Not worried the car is a lease and i've already decided that will not be going back, In fact I dont even go back for severcie I drive 30 min away to have it done.

Much less the auto start from the factory or mopar only runs for 5 mins, you can warm anything up in 5 mins total waste of money.

Next one will be after market provided you can still change the length of time it runs..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts