Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I just wanted to let you know that I took delivery of my Black SXT Sport 5-speed on Friday night.:D

After an long hard car-less wait since Feb. 21 it was well worth it! It looks great and even my brother the die-hard Mazda fan was plesently suprised on how nice it was.

Yes I know pics pics pics my brother snapped a few last Friday night(got no digital cam of my own) and he "forgot" to send them to me so they are forth coming. I am going to try to get a few more done this weekend during the daylight hours for your better viewing pleasure.

On a bitter-sweet note on my short drive to the insurance office I was greeted with a "*WHACK*" from some object as I was exiting off the expressway and with a quick glance at the windshield all looked well.... until I got out and noticed that I had a nice 6 inch J-shaped crack right behind the rearview mirror on my new car, and with only 115 kms/70 miles on it! :eek:.....on the upside the body was untouched and another windshield is being installed in a couple of days. Phew! Sidenote: The service manger informed me that I was the first windshield on a Caliber replaced at the dealership and just 2 days after the car's delivery......:eek: .......hehe *pulls on the neck of shirt*...Is it hot in here?

Fit and Finish: The outside of the car is well aligned no door problems, hood and fenders fit well, however the rear hatch does require quite a bit of a effort to close properly, maybe just an adjustment is nessary. The paint is nice and smooth save for a 2 spots of minor "orange peel" which should come out with a good buffing.(Damn black shows EVERYTHING! Plus I am picky:p ) The interior is well put together and panels all seem to fit well without any of the gaps that I have known on some Chrysler products in the past. The blue inserts are nicer than I thought too. I had only seen the red and orange ones in person.

The Musigate is well.... just awesome! I had the Infinity System with 6 speakers and EQ on my Caravan an this thing blows it away by miles.... If anyone that wants a great all round nice sounding system this is it! And no fussing with aftermarket installs or nasty service managers that complain about the car being "altered" for warrenty claims. :)

Now for the 5-speed/ 1.8 liter combo. While some reviews from the "Pros" say that the car does not seem to be very agile or nible, I tend to disagree. It has a good pull and does a steady climb through the RPM range. While you will probably not win alot of stop light bashing contests it will get you up to highway speeds reasonably quick.

The 5 speed transmission is smooth on the shifting, the gates for the gears remind me of my old VW Rabbit GTI, short throws and very tight gates, care must be taken not to shift the car from 2nd to 5th by mistake :rolleyes: but you become acustomed to it after a few tries of finding 3rd ;) trust me.

Now the bugs: My car seems to "hunt" sometimes on idle between 700 and 900 rpm when cold or warming up. It was running tonight after I finished work and was idling so low that it sounded like a diesel engine, I gave it a little gas and it kind of choked....:confused: , reved up and settled back down to 800 rpm and sounded ok after that. It also feels slightly sluggish at low-end rpm it seems to bog out a bit but gets less much noticable at higher end of the scale. I have had no pinging coming from the engine, as for the gas well I am guessing that it is regular as I am still on my first dealer supplied tank of fuel. About 1/3 of a tank used so far. Needless to say a visit to the dealer is in the very near future.

The other gripes:
Chill Zone Door: Closes way too easy and never stays open! Hmm paperclip here we come!

Sliding Armrest: Like you took the time to add it, why not make it stay in place. Hey did someone mentioned something about a screw? *BZZZZzzz...* THERE! Just try and move now! j/k

No Chrome Grill!: Well after alot of haggling my dealer did give me a really nice discount on the protection package.;)

Keeping windows clean: Seems like everytime I come back to my car I find hand prints on the windows from people looking at the car....LOL

Ok so it was a little long winded but what can I say....... I LOVE MY CAR!

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm so glad that you like your Caliber! I must say that the funniest part of your thread is the window issue. I seem to have that as well! LOL

Congrats and let us know about the rough idle.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
wow some of these deliverly lead times are scaring me a little lol... it is going to be hard to find an SRT4 on the lot to test drive and even long for one to come in the way you want it.... maybe things will ramp up a little with the 07 MY run

·
Registered
746 Posts
congrats on the black sxt purchase! you're going to be very happy with it! i love my music gate as well... just a side thought on improving the music gate... i think it would hvae been wise to put some of the volume and other sound controls on the gate itself. saves you from having to travel all the way around to the front of your car to skip a song or crank it up. you know?

·
Registered
97 Posts
congrats!!!!! :) ;):D

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
What?? Again a new-owner post wih NO PICS!!?? :( :D
Congrats on the new addition, be sure they replace your windshield with OEM glass!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Satellitedriver said:
Hey All,

I just wanted to let you know that I took delivery of my Black SXT Sport 5-speed on Friday night.:D
Keeping windows clean: Seems like everytime I come back to my car I find hand prints on the windows from people looking at the car....LOL

I say....... I LOVE MY CAR!
:) I thought that was a cheap window feature that the dealer threw in. Gee-wiz, if I'd known it was from people looking at the car, I would have left them donuts and milk.

CONGRATULATIONS on the ownership. Glad that you took the time to give us a good recap...where are the PICTURES!?!?!?

Tyke

1 - 10 of 10 Posts