Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes- I searched here before posting this question.

Trying to make an MP3 disc for the R/T. Previously, I just right clicked the actual files and wrote them to a disc. Works fine- artist and title appear perfectly.

Wifey wanted a new disc. In iTunes, I created a playlist, then tried to burn- first as an MP3 disc, then as a data disc. The discs burn okay, play fine on 2 different MP3 players, and I can see that there are several directories (artist name, then album, then song) like normal MP3 discs.

The Caliber however, does not seem to recognize the layout and I get the message "No Audio Files Found" before ejecting!

Could it be the 32 char limit (home directory + sub + file name > 32)?

I have not RTFM yet.

???

·
Registered
377 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tigerr said:
Check out this post:

http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3430&postcount=13

Gives the specifics of the MP3 format of the player. Are you sure iTunes is using MP3 format, and not M4A or M4P format? Or perhaps you are exceding one of the directory/file/folder limits.
thanks- I did read that too.

I wonder if THIS is the prob:

• Maximum number of folders: 100

I have 200 songs, probably in 150 folders.

(yes, iTunes is set to MP3)

If that is the prob, too bad the error message isn't something other than "No audio files found"!!

:(

·
Registered
51 Posts
your first problem is that you are using iTunes at all. If you are using a mac, just throw it out the window and buy a real computer:rolleyes: If you are using a PC, then you should make your mp3 discs using windows or some third party software like Nero.

DO NOT make a folder for one or two songs, even if those are the only songs you are using from a certain group. Instead, make 4 or 5 folders total, and manually selectwhichsongs your want in those. You can rename the songs to show you the artist if you'd like. The moe directories you have, the slower the mp3 player will be when it starts, and the moe chance you have of it choking on itself. I find that 5 folders with about 20-25 songs each is efficient.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I didn't know you could put the files on the cd into folders. I have an MP3 CD that has about 190 songs, but they are all just on the cd and are not in any type of folders. Can you choose folders from your stereo?

I also agree, Itunes sucks for burning. I also use Nero.

Later

Mike

·
Registered
377 Posts
FtK Shadow said:
I didn't know you could put the files on the cd into folders. I have an MP3 CD that has about 190 songs, but they are all just on the cd and are not in any type of folders. Can you choose folders from your stereo?
The quick answer is yes, you can sort your MP3s into folders. The tough part is whether your stereo/MP3 player supports folder browsing. If it doesn't then you will just get the MP3s playing.If it does then you will be able to select the folder and it will play the MP3s within it.

And definately keeps folders to a minimum. And also try not to use more than one folder deep. This should keep read times quick.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
caprirs302 said:
your first problem is that you are using iTunes at all. If you are using a mac, just throw it out the window and buy a real computer:rolleyes:
iPods require iTunes to reformat tunes from the PC to play on the iPod. You have not answered the question though.

Yes- creating a disc manually will work, and does work. I am asking why discs made in iTunes (mp3 or data options) won't read in the Caliber.

I am guessing its the number of directories and the reader will not index them, its just a guess though. Anyone else have this prob?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem this morning. I used iTunes to make an mp3 cd (yes, the files were mp3 format to begin with). The file names on the disc were even truncated and renamed to eliminate spaces and non-standard characters. So much for the process being easy if the disc just gets rejected. Gonna try the manual approach.

·
Registered
190 Posts
caprirs302 said:
your first problem is that you are using iTunes at all. If you are using a mac, just throw it out the window and buy a real computer:rolleyes: If you are using a PC, then you should make your mp3 discs using windows or some third party software like Nero.

iTunes has its pros and cons. Now, PC means Personal Computer, and that can be Mac or not Mac. Regardless, new Mac's use Intel chips and can run MacOS X, Windowz XP, or a few flavors of Linux. My 2 dual core 3ghz Intel Xeon Mac Pro (quad core machine) runs all day, every day, crushing raw HD video into small and tasty bits. AND it is a rock solid, reliable production workhorse. But I digress...

Use Toast Titanium to create your MP3 data discs if you must. I prefer red book audio (uncompressed CD audio) in my Calber, and I'm patiently waiting for proper iPod integration where I can use the steering controls to change playlists and keep my iPod charged for out of car adventures. L8r.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Sean said:
iPods require iTunes to reformat tunes from the PC to play on the iPod. You have not answered the question though.
I don't have an answer either....But if you're tired of iTunes, check out Anapod Explorer from Rechair Software. It integrates into Explorer and works quite well. It won't stream music off your iPod though, I use Winamp for that. The only downside is there's no support for the Apple store downloads. *offtopic, but you may be interested ;)

·
Registered
377 Posts
***** THREAD HIJACK *****

You are the man Principal. I've been looking for an alternative to iTunes. I especially like the idea of being able to copy songs off the iPod, as well as the bitrate conversion too. Thanks for mentioning this, looks like exactly what I've been looking for.

***** END THREAD HIJACK *****

·
Registered
361 Posts
Tigerr said:
***** THREAD HIJACK *****

You are the man Principal. I've been looking for an alternative to iTunes. I especially like the idea of being able to copy songs off the iPod, as well as the bitrate conversion too. Thanks for mentioning this, looks like exactly what I've been looking for.

***** END THREAD HIJACK *****
Check out ilounge.com for more info on third party programs. There's a few more out there, but I've only checked out the one. **Real end of hijacking** :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
caprirs302 said:
your first problem is that you are using iTunes at all. If you are using a mac, just throw it out the window and buy a real computer:rolleyes:
Perhaps the dumbest, dorkiest, and most idiotic statement I've ever seen on this forum. Congratulations on lowering the bar.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts