Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Awesome find, mate! I knew who supplied it but I never could find the website or anything. Looks like there's nothing to fear from the CVT. :D

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Lol, exactly what I was thinking :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just test drove one on Saturday. The CVT has an odd "uncoupled" feel to it, Or maybe it's the lack of feel. You mach the gas and all you hear is the steady increase in rpm's. look down and suddenly you're doing 100. It's an odd feelling not having the normal shift points.

that being said, I'm still waiting for the MTX to try. I think it will be as peppy as the HHR (and a lot roomier than the HHR)

·
Registered
245 Posts
As some of you may have experienced, the Caliber's CVT steep RPM climb during acceleration leave some people used to traditional transmissions a little cautious. Your first reaction to seeing the tach sweep past 4,000-5,000 is to ease off the gas.

In ways its sort of like learning how to drive stick, in time it will become second nature and then driving traditional geared automatics will feel "odd". The CVT is something everyone will get used to, the natural progression of automatic transmission technology. One of the many "new"* technologies

DaimlerChrysler is utilizing to provide great vehicles to our customers.

* CVT'S were originally conceptualized by Leonardo da Vinci approx 500 years ago.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Da Vinci invented the CVT?!?!

That dude had some serious noggin.

lol.

I'm looking forward to experiencing the CVT..

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Xtreme Thunder said:
Thats funny when you think about it. We could have been using this technology for years!! LOL
But the limiter has always been the strength of the belt. I'd still like to see the data from the qualification test.:eek:

·
Registered
245 Posts
mkaresh said:
Same company makes the CVT for the Nissan Murano, which has a far more powerful engine. So it should be safe with the 2.0.

Four months after I get 25 Calibers in my panel I'll start providing reliability info.
I am sure this forum will become a good source of information as well, from what we have been told both the CVT2 and World Engines have undergone the most extensive testing procedures DCX has ever performed.

We anticipate very few problems.

Dan

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I agree, it's good the DC is getting more in touch with people..

I really want to see what the CVT is like now that everyone's been talking about it...
:D

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
DodgeInfoCenter said:
As some of you may have experienced, the Caliber's CVT steep RPM climb during acceleration leave some people used to traditional transmissions a little cautious. Your first reaction to seeing the tach sweep past 4,000-5,000 is to ease off the gas.
"Your first reaction to seeing the tach sweep past 4,000-5,000 is to ease off the gas."

And that's exactly what I did. Slightly unnerving to get near redline (where ever that my be... don't recall).

DodgeInfoCenter, Someone was posting that they were frequently taking their Caliber to 6000rpm and letting I stay there. Is that safe? Is having the motor reved up like that so regularly going to shorten it's life and reliability??? That concerns me.

·
Registered
245 Posts
GOT said:
"Your first reaction to seeing the tach sweep past 4,000-5,000 is to ease off the gas."

And that's exactly what I did. Slightly unnerving to get near redline (where ever that my be... don't recall).

DodgeInfoCenter, Someone was posting that they were frequently taking their Caliber to 6000rpm and letting I stay there. Is that safe? Is having the motor reved up like that so regularly going to shorten it's life and reliability??? That concerns me.
Officially I cannot say whether it will compromise the engines lifespan or not, I simply do not know.

We were told that the GEMA engineering team put the new World Engines through a gauntlet of testing and such but we don’t have specific testing details, tolerances or lifetime expectancies.

My assumption is if your leave the vehicle in automatic and it stays at the top of the rpm band, this is how the powertrain was designed to function.

Perhaps those who drive the Caliber regularly can tell us how the engine sounds and feels (vibration) at such high RPM? If the engine feels and sounds solid, perhaps the engines redline is higher then the gauge indicates (8-9,000).

Personally, I rarely see my vehicle tach go higher then 3500 and that’s when I am pushing it.

Dan

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
DodgeInfoCenter said:

Perhaps those who drive the Caliber regularly can tell us how the engine sounds and feels (vibration) at such high RPM? If the engine feels and sounds solid, perhaps the engines redline is higher then the gauge indicates (8-9,000).

Dan
Thats what I was thinking. I would have to test drive again to see what it sounds like at 6,000 RPM, see if it sounds like there should be "more"

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
DodgeInfoCenter said:
If the engine feels and sounds solid, perhaps the engines redline is higher then the gauge indicates (8-9,000).
8-9000, that's better than what I was thinking. So perhaps it's not as high relative to the redline.

DodgeInfoCenter said:
Personally, I rarely see my vehicle tach go higher then 3500 and that’s when I am pushing it.
I often take the 2.2L in my '02 Cavalier to 4000 sometimes 5000 (when spining the wheels on snow and ice attempting to climb and incline). Did the same with my /97 Cavalier and both seemed to have strong motors (but with only 115hp) redlining at 6000. I took the '97 to 100k miles and the '02 to 78k miles without a problem to the motors or tranny. Hope to be able to do twice that with the Caliber.:cool:

·
Registered
343 Posts
I tested a Caliber 2.0 CVT last week, and the engine is very quiet and smooth at all speeds. I went to "start" it after it was already running because it was running so quietly. Thankfully, the salesman stopped me before I ground the starter....Oh...He knew the Caliber...I tested him ;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
I just received my R/T tuesday, and I haven't noticed anything to be concerned with regarding the CVT2, but that may be due to the fact that I've always got the MusicGate system rocking so hard that I can't hear the engine much. :) I've got a trip to go on tonight, so I'll try to remember to wind it up a bit with the radio off.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Ramsport47 said:
I tested a Caliber 2.0 CVT last week, and the engine is very quiet and smooth at all speeds. I went to "start" it after it was already running because it was running so quietly. Thankfully, the salesman stopped me before I ground the starter....Oh...He knew the Caliber...I tested him ;)

I think the key switch, once in the run position, can not be restarted without first turning it off and then restarting again, pretty well all manufacturers have had this for years.
I think 6500 is redline on the world engine.....:)

Does anyone know if the exhaust system is stainless??Is the exhaust manifold cast iron or tube style headers ie: tinkling sound when engine is shut off and cooling??
When opening the doors are there any floor lights or just the dome light??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts