Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing some research on the CVT, and found that a company in Japan called Jatco makes the CVT for Dodge. They list the model JF011E as follows, Belt CVT for medium vehicles. Their web page is jatco.co.jp.
Applicable up to 2.5-liter class
* Main vehicles equipped with this CVT:
NISSAN LAFESTA, SERENA,
BLUEBIRD SYLPHY
MITSUBISHI OUTLANDER
DAIMLERCHRYSLER DODGE CALIBER,
JEEP COMPASS, JEEP PATRIOT
They also have a JF010E, which is listed as "Belt CVT for large vehicles"
* Applicable up to 3.5L class vehicles. First in this class around the world.
* Wider gear ratio range for both acceleration performance and fuel consumption
* High torque capacity
* Main vehicles equipped with this CVT:
NISSAN TEANA, PRESAGE, MURANO, MAXIMA
My question is this, what is the possibility of replacing the JF011E, with a JF010E, thus providing more power handling of the CVT so one can install some more serious HP performance parts, like a turbo, etc.
Take an R/T AWD with the JF010E, better intake, headers, high flow exhaust, and possibly a turbo? Close to SRT-4 performance with AWD and a CVT?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
HMMMM good research. the only issue would be PCM and bellhousing. Also it may be a larger unit creating clearance issues. I like the idea though and i will look into it more as well. Major modifications such as this on a new vehicle require a brave soul or big wallets. You will void your warrenty and pay out of pocket for the expensive parts.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check out their web site they have a large picture, it looks close to the same part. I do realize that close is a long way from the same, but it dont hurt to dream.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Next step would be to research the Maxima and Murano forums and find someone that has bought a Factory Repair Manual for one with the 3.5L engine and CVT, have them copy the wiring diagram and tech notes on the operation of the CVT and controller. Then buy a Caliber Factory Repair Manual and compare the two.

The fact alone that Jatco makes our transmission makes me uneasy. Jatco's transmission reliability is pretty horrendous. "Non-servicable" is word you find often with a Jatco transmission, more than not relating to the strainer/filter for the transmission. Jatco also supplies transmissions to Jaguar and Ford, as well as the late 90s Maximas. Jatco transmissions in the FWD and AWD Jags suffer multiple overheating failures, many in as few as 15,000 miles. This trend continued in the Mazda6 in which we found the idle transmission fluid temperature (After 20 minutes of idling, no load) was 193F. Temps quickly rose, some reporting spiking at 230F in hotter climates, at those temps, transmissions rarely last 30,000 miles and that's what happened with alot of Mazda6's. This forced Ford to add a standalone transmission cooler on the wagon models and eventually drop the Jatco 5-spd after the second year of production.

The addition of aftermarket transmission coolers dropped the Jatco-driven Mazda6 temp's to 160F at idle with an 80F ambient outside temp.

This is why I advocate before power-adders or swaps, add some reliability, squash planned obsolence and either find a way to add a seperate transmission cooler to the Caliber or lower engine coolant temps as a band-aid to the transmission coolant sharing the same radiator.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Very interesting... :eek:

Can anyone confirm this, because you know I'm going to ask around to see if I can find out.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Might be a reason for the caliber's fairly large section for dedicated tranny cooler in the radiator. Prolly wouldnt hurt to add a small aftermarket cooler as well.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I can't recall where I read it but apparently DCX won't be servicing
the CVTs at all because of an agreement with JATCO,the problem
trannies are to be replaced as 1 piece and sent back to JATCO
for diagnosis and repair.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bigtsr said:
I can't recall where I read it but apparently DCX won't be servicing
the CVTs at all because of an agreement with JATCO,the problem
trannies are to be replaced as 1 piece and sent back to JATCO
for diagnosis and repair.
I was told that as well. The Mopar service manual das a lot of internal details with pictures of the cvt. If they wanted reverse engineering would be possible for a transmission expert.

For the cooling, I almost purchased the trailer /tow package just for the extra cvt cooler. It is only a little over $100.00

·
Registered
340 Posts
Different bell housing, should be different inboard axle sizes, different final drive, just to start. Usually the larger motors have larger inboard joints/splines.

Nissan and Infinity did this early on with their units. Camry vs. J20 4 cylinders. Many Infinitis had "limited slip(viscous)" that was a totally different diff / axle combo and would NOT interchange. RE4F04A vs RE4F04V.

The early "modern" CVT's ie. 90 Subaru Justy, 97 Honda Civic HF - would not allow the aftermarket/dealership to open them up right away either. After a year or two parts came down the pike (albeit a few only) and allowed people to work on them.

For the most part they are not terribly difficult to work on, just expensive and hard to get parts for, along with very specialized tools.

The Justy was just a bad design/application (I don't think there are any left on the road!), the early Honda fared a little better. Nowadays the manufacturers seem to have a better grip on the CVT technology.

It is definitely not new - Citroen had it many years ago!!!!

·
Registered
683 Posts
I haven't heard of many problems with the Nissan Murano's CVT and they have been in use for several years. Latest word is that Nissan is adding Jatco CVT's to other vehicles in their line ups. If there were problems I doubt they'd do that.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Huff said:
I haven't heard of many problems with the Nissan Murano's CVT and they have been in use for several years. Latest word is that Nissan is adding Jatco CVT's to other vehicles in their line ups. If there were problems I doubt they'd do that.
Good point, thanks for the re-assurance

·
Registered
137 Posts
When I first started researching the Caliber over a year ago I too was concerned about this relatively unknown CVT. I came across this one day from allpar's caliber page and never gave any concerns to the CVT again (I added the underline and italics):

"The supplier of the transmission is JATCO, which is owned by Nissan and Mitsubishi; the transmission is apparently a new generation of one used in current Nissans.
  • Some JATCO transmissions have been problematic, but Nissan’s current use of JATCO transmissions has been without substantial problems, indicating either that design issues were overcome or that electronic controls may have been the issue. Chrysler will be using their own unique electronics with these transmissions. The results should be interesting. "

1 - 12 of 12 Posts