Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have run across more and more truck owners who are considering this kind of trade from being absolutely hamstrung by the price gouging at the gas pump, and thought it would be appropriate to start off my first thread with this subject to inform other truck owners about whether or not I feel I did the right thing....

Just to tick everyone off a little more, here's a tidbit I heard on NPR last week - the US currently has more oil in its reserves than it has had in the past 8 years. Thats right. So much for the theory of it just being supply and demand catching up with us. It's not. Price gouging does not follow that formula. As far as my Ram goes.... I just couldn't afford it anymore, and even being upside down on my truck, I still have quite a net savings after having done this.

I will really miss my truck, but at least I still have the neat Dodge styling that I've come to grow and love. All I really hauled with my truck was my four wheeler anyway. Hopefully the Caliber can handle it with it's 1000 pound towing capacity. I am also going from a 4x4 to FWD, I am hoping the decent ground clearance will help it's handling in the snow, but I wont know that for at least another 7 months.

I only have two mods planned for my Caliber - a hitch (obviously), and down the road I'd like to make it look like an SRT clone when parts become available by swapping the hood and front fascia. Once I feel the car is good and broken in, I will let you all know how I feel about it performance-wise, but so far so good - I have no regrets for making this trade, and my early gut feeling is I would not hesitate to advise any truck owner considering this type of move to go for it.

I'll keep you all posted... Thanks! :cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm making the same move. I ordered a SXT Inferno Red with 5-spd manual, Drivers group, UConnet, and Speed Control. I hope to take ownership by the end of the month.

I sold my 2003 RAM 1500 Quad Cab last week. I was sad to see it go, but I'm looking forward to a car payment that is about $100 less per month, and at least another $50 in savings from the MPG difference. I loved that truck and will probably get another one down the road...definitely another RAM.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have done the same also. I just bought a Caliber this week and have to turn in my beloved 2003 Dakota SXT! The gas prices keep going up but my pay does not reflect this, so bye bye truck, hello better gas prices.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Congrats Quadrajet!

I want to get body-color handles and that spoiler on mine... at least.

·
Registered
65 Posts
GOT said:
Congrats Quadrajet!

I want to get body-color handles and that spoiler on mine... at least.

The body-colour handles look awesome! That should be an option for the SXT.

I know where you are all coming from with the gas prices and a Ram. Just put $102 in the RumbleBee the other day. Good thing my caliber will be here soon, and my husband has a motorcycle to ride during the summer months.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I've had it a full week now and so far, no regrets. I do hope that I do not have to give up my favorite hobby of 4-wheeling, but if worse comes to worse I could always downsize my ATV as well.

Gas mileage report:
My first full tank I got 26.6 miles per gallon. My second tank I got 28.8, but there was a lot more highway driving on that one.
By comparison, my Dodge Ram was getting 13 to 15 consistently, and it wasn't even the Hemi, but rather the 4.7 Litre.

$102 to fillup a Rumble Bee? I can relate, although I did not have the same 89 octane requirement that the Hemi did. To put into perspective how much doubling my gas mileage will help me personally, here are a few things worth noting....

-In my Ram, my monthly gas costs were higher than my last home heating bill, my electric bill, and my phone bill combined
-It would cost me as much to fill up my truck (from near empty) as it cost me to insure it for one month
-My monthly gas expenditures were about half of what my monthly mortgage payment was.
-A recent promotion moved me to a new work location and tripled the mileage I have to drive to work one way. 3X the drive = 3X the cost, just to punch the timeclock. Nice, huh?

Like I said, no regrets so far...but it's still early.

·
Registered
311 Posts
quadrajet said:
... To put into perspective how much doubling my gas mileage will help me personally, here are a few things worth noting....
Your stats are very noteworthy! Thanks...and congratulations on the purchase.

Tyke

·
Registered
287 Posts
I just ordered a Caliber R/T and will be moving from my Ram 1500 with a 5.2L V8. I will miss the 4WD in the winter, but I am hoping the AWD will work out alright. The gains in gas (from 11-12mpg city in my 00' RAM, pathetic I know) to the fuel efficientcy of a 4 cylinder should be delightful. I am looking forward to a delivery sometime in late May.

·
Registered
2 Posts
our last caliber customer was SAVING $290 per month on gas.. after trading in the truck they were driving, there payments are only $265. not bad for a free car huh?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts