Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I'm trying to get a new JVC DVD player installed in my new Caliber. I took it to a autoshop here in Belgium, (where I'm stationed). I don't speak any french, which doesn't help. Anyways, he said he had problems connecting the unit to the MusicGate amp. What wires/cables do I need in order to install this unit. I called both JVC and Dodge, and they we're any help. I know nothing about car installations. Any help please??

·
Registered
683 Posts
To install an aftermarket stereo poses many issues. Adapting to the factory amp, steering wheel controls, uconnect, can-bus etc. all need to be addressed. I would contact Peripheral Electronics. They sell adapters and harnesses for adding aftermarket stereos to newer vehicles.

http://peripheralelectronics.com/web/home.asp

·
Registered
5 Posts
Actually, I'm considering ordering my Caliber with the MusicGate option for the optional speakers (and clean sub install), but was wondering about this too...

Is the sub powered by a stand-alone amp? or is everything integrated into the head unit?

If the sub is powered on its own, install should be possible using new head unit's pre-outs.

Anyone know?

·
Registered
901 Posts
Vital said:
Actually, I'm considering ordering my Caliber with the MusicGate option for the optional speakers (and clean sub install), but was wondering about this too...

Is the sub powered by a stand-alone amp? or is everything integrated into the head unit?

If the sub is powered on its own, install should be possible using new head unit's pre-outs.

Anyone know?
There is a diagram of the MusicGate system in a thread that hasn't been used since April 22. This post has the diagram: http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7305&postcount=3

If you want to read the entire thread, the link is in the upper right of that post.
Hope this helps a 'little' bit with what you need to know.

·
Registered
140 Posts
so is there anything other than a standard stereo harness that I"ll need to install an aftermarket unit in my cali that doesn't have ANY stereo upgrades?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you Kathy,

I actually couldn't find that on the B/A website! But at least I know that the amp for both is seperate.

Would probably have to run pre-outs to each and perhaps use a line-converter(s) to interface.

And Dawson, I think that would depend on whether or not you wanted to retain control of the subwoofer. A wiring harness would probably be fine for other speakers... but most aftermarket decks will only allow sub control via the sub pre-out

Can't wait!

~Aaron

·
Registered
683 Posts
Vital, if you order your Caliber with the Musicgate then you'll also have steering wheel controls. If you replace the stereo with aftermarket you will lose use of them. Possibly Peripheral Electronics makes an adapter but doubtfull.

If you have the EVIC dash display, factory Sirius or UConnnect you'll also lose those features as well.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I don't have the subwoofer... just single disc with aux-in(which I don't use), and 4 door speakers... I believe all I'll need is a standard wiring harness untill I get my amps and speakers/sub... then I'll be unhooking the stockers all together...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Totally forgot about the steering wheel controls!!!! Dammmmn.

Didn't know those extra goodies were displayed via the radio... I wonder if that's true for the Jeep Compass as well (would own one of those in a snap too). Anyone know?

I guess there's always a half-din DVD tucked away... Peripheral offers an AUX-in integration for Dodge/Chry/Jeep radios that should allow that to happen. Probably lots of places to tuck one away too?

Dawson, sounds like you'd be just fine!

~Aaron

1 - 11 of 11 Posts