Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Harley said:
Yes - check it out in the owner's manual. It tells all about this, and describes your situation perfectly about what happens if the copied key doesn't have the chip, or if the chip isn't coded properly.

Obtaining the chip-equipped and coded keys from the dealerships are rather expensive, though. From what I recall, you can purchase a chip-equipped but UNCODED key from the dealership (for probably less than a coded one), and then code it yourself by following the instructions in the owners manual.

An UNCODED spare key carried in the wallet, etc is ALSO fine (and INexpensive) for situations where you have accidently locked the CODED key in the car. You can simply use the uncoded key to manually unlock the door, and thus gain easy access to your coded key with no special effort.

FYI, this chipped and coded key thingy is called the "Sentry Key". Been on DCX products for years, but usually only the highest trim level. Very cool that they made this a standard feature on the Caliber!

Trivia: Prior to the chunky "all in one key plus remote keyless entry fob" that we have now, you could identity Sentry Keys from non-Sentry Keys by color- keys equipped with Sentry Key had a gray grip on them, and non-equipped keys had black grips.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Principal said:
...As i understand it, the key is attached to the car somewhere under the dash and it is hardwired so the car always gets the proper code when starting.
That's how I interpreted what Dan wrote too.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Principal said:
I thought of a question earlier while starting my car....
What do you do with your key when you remote start your car? Just leave it out of the ignition all together?
That's a darn good question.
And related to that, since the key needs to be in the ACC or ON position for the power outlets to work.... ??

·
Registered
901 Posts
zasbury25 said:
I don't know if it is the same for the Mopar remote starts, but for all of the Viper remote starts I have had, you stick the key in the ignition and turn it to the on position and then press the brake to disengage the remote start to resume normal operation of the car.
oh see, I didn't know that. I've never used a remote starter, or been in a vechicle started by one. thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.