Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a website that contains the legal percentages of tint for each state? I have called my local police department three different times and have recvd. three different answers for the legal tint percentage.

I realize that each city will probably have different laws, but if there is a website please someone give a link. But it might be state driven.

I want to tint the Cali and my 07 Sebring but can't get a straight answer.

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you try and contact a tinting place they are the ones that should have an answer for you. They have to repect the laws however they will put anything that you ask them to put on.

When I did mine the guy told me the legal limit here in Quebec is 70% front and you can get any % for the rear as long as you have 2 exterior mirrors.

Funny though the local paper (Journal Montreal) did a report and even "legal" tinting is below the norms due to the polorization(sp?) that are already stock clear glass.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I think for most states & provinces it seems to be 35% from everything I've heard and seen. I have 20% and live in Ontario where 35% is the legal limit. Never had a problem with it on my trucks or my car with the police. I have heard the police in Quebec can be brutal about tint though.

Here's a chart listing the legal limits for Canada. It's pretty vague though, but like I mentioned, 35% is pretty much universal. It's interesting to see that each province has it's own intrepretion of the law. Personally I can't make too much sense out of this chart.

http://www.iwfa.com/iwfa/Consumer_Info/auto_provincelaws.html

More mumbo jumbo for Ontario http://www.oacp.on.ca/content/positions/view_resolution.html?id=37, and if anyone can make sense of this one, you're good you!

Medic

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
In Cali, not 100% positive, but pretty sure, you are not supposed to put any amount of tint on the front windows, and the back windows are as dark as you want to go. But almost everyone who gets thier windows tinted does the front windows as well. Mine are 20% in the front and I've never had a problem. I even know guys who have tinted thier windsheilds with no problems. And there are a lot of shops that will strip and re-tint for free if you get a ticket for tint.

·
Registered
567 Posts
well i know for a fact that michigan you can have your back window and back passenger windows tinted as dark as you want, you can have a 4" strip of tint on ur front doors, has to be on top portion of the window, they dont give you to hard of a time for say 35% on the front, but everyone is different some people, one guy in my college class had limo all the way around drove with it for 3 yeras and got pulled over and had to take of the front window tint, so its all how much u wanna risk it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm sorry to bump a really old thread but in case anyone would stray here and appreciate some up-to-date info - as there have been some changes in some states since 2006 - check out THIS WEBSITE ABOUT US TINT LAWS. Up-to-date (2015), state by state listings, EXPLAINED by a paralegal, it´s really good! Actually, I´ve been searching for some tint law info recently and this resource seems to be the best nowadays.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts