2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
decided to shed a few easy LBS by installing a lightweight battery
it shed 17lbs off the front of the car for about $130

Parts:
Deka EXT16L battery
Braille 2317 battery mount

simply mounted the battery laying down on the OEM tray
I opted for the Deka battery vs. the Braille no weight since Deka/East Penn Mfg produces the Braille battery. So instead of paying $140 for the battery,I paid $80. Unless you want the sticker that says Braille>>>they are the exact same
I also live 2 miles from the Deka battery plant:bigthumb:

OEM battery weight (actually thought it would weigh more)

Deka EXT16L (Braille 2317 equiv)

installed pics

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thats a good point Mitsuwa... I was going to ask about crank rating and drain on the battery in traffic.
Because of winter, power is key in -20deg. starst!! LOL

·
Registered
114 Posts
how do these work.. I have seen them.. do they work the exact same in all conditions as the factory only half as light? Sorry ROOKIE

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
decided to shed a few easy LBS by installing a lightweight battery
it shed 17lbs off the front of the car for about $130

Parts:
Deka EXT16L battery
Braille 2317 battery mount

simply mounted the battery laying down on the OEM tray
I opted for the Deka battery vs. the Braille no weight since Deka/East Penn Mfg produces the Braille battery. So instead of paying $140 for the battery,I paid $80. Unless you want the sticker that says Braille>>>they are the exact same
I also live 2 miles from the Deka battery plant:bigthumb:

OEM battery weight (actually thought it would weigh more)

Deka EXT16L (Braille 2317 equiv)

installed pics

Woah i live like 20-25 minutes from Deka, Boyertown area:banger:

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
let us know if you have any problems with start-up after playing the radio with the car off
I'll post the spec sheet tomorrow
new AGM batteries are pretty powerful regardless of the size

most guys go with the ETX14 which is smaller yet and only weighs 11.5lbs
I liked the CCA more on the EXT16 which is why I went with it

·
Registered
9,061 Posts
i even looked on ebay for the brand name and all they had was atv/motorcycle batteries and one $225 battery by this brand's name

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i even looked on ebay for the brand name and all they had was atv/motorcycle batteries and one $225 battery by this brand's name
here is the application guide link
http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/assets/base/0278.pdf

remember, I am using the EXT16L
reason being the "L" at the end of the P/N places the polarities same as stock so you don't have to fark with the + & - cables
you can use SAE auto terminals (have then installed in the pic of battery on scale) but they seemed too big and bulky on the small bettery so I removed the 10mm nuts and just bolted the flat tabs to the terminals with a m6 thread bolt
if you look on Jeg's or Summit Racing's web site, they offer the Braille "no weight" battery line. That battery line is manufactured by Deka/East Penn Manufacturing which is where I bought mine.
Many on-line battery warehouses offer Deka batteries and you can have one shipped to you for well under $100
If you are lucky to live close to Deka like me, you can go there and ask for one without decals and get it for about $50 like I did :wave:

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
were you driving the black ms6 around boyertown pottstown area this weekend?....tinted tails?
well I used to be in Pottstown waaaaay too much back in the day but sadly, that was not me and my Mazda has seen nothing but shop walls for months

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Thanks Whoosh, that's an interesting start for a CSRT-4 weight reduction program.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
255 Posts
How do you think the battery will hold up if the isn’t drivin daily? Would you have to put it on a trickle charger?

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How do you think the battery will hold up if the isn’t drivin daily? Would you have to put it on a trickle charger?
probably
but I'd do that for any battery if the car sits for long periods of time

the AGM batteries no matter what brand are tough little buggers
I had my Odyssey PC680MJT in the Mazda for over 2 years before I ever had it on a charger and that battery has less CCA than this Deka piece

·
Registered
255 Posts
probably
but I'd do that for any battery if the car sits for long periods of time

the AGM batteries no matter what brand are tough little buggers
I had my Odyssey PC680MJT in the Mazda for over 2 years before I ever had it on a charger and that battery has less CCA than this Deka piece
Looks like it’s time to make a trip to east Penn Man. So you can buy directly from the warehouse? I know where they are located but didn’t know they sold any retail from that location.

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks like it’s time to make a trip to east Penn Man. So you can buy directly from the warehouse? I know where they are located but didn’t know they sold any retail from that location.
yes, they have a retail store on site
no shipping FTW:bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts