Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not talking about major problems, just little things you could live with but would prefer not to.

For me:

- Leather-wrapped steering wheel is slippery. My hand slipped off the wheel enough times that I had to get a neoprene steering wheel cover for it.

- I like to sit high, so when I stop at a traffic light, I can't see the traffic light anymore.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I like the leather wrap on the steering wheel, LOL. I agree with not being able to see traffic lights. I'm tall and have no probs with comfort and room but some lights are very difficult to see without kind of ducking. The annoying thing to me is sweeping curves, specially lefts, where I have to either move my head foward or back to see the road because of the position of the seats set way back and looking through the rather thick bar going to the roof.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
The center of the dash bewlow the radio on drivers side where it sticks out a little before narrowing to the shifter area. I hit my knee there all the time climbing in. I'm 6'5" so most probably won't have that problem.

Also, what's up with all the different "sticks" on the steering colum. Would have prefered steering wheel mounted cruise control switches instead of a third stick, and the windshield washer one took a little getting used to coming from a colum shifter auto tranny. Hit the washer a couple times when "shifting" out of park. hehe

As for the lights, don't have that problem here in Cali since most intersections have the lights above and also a second set down lower on the poles on the side.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I actually wished it sat about 2" higher...I tend to brush my shoulder getting in... but then again I am kinda used to my Ram 2500

·
Registered
35 Posts
umm, that its still not sitting in my driveway. :p

Soon, I hope. ;)

~M

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ok the way people talk to me about my car all the time(got stopped 2 out of 3 times leaving a stores today alone). Ok for real now the only thing that really keeps occurring to me; when I drive. Is where is my hood? I can judge the distance. But every once in awhile I'm like darn I miss seeing my hood.

·
Registered
141 Posts
HSKR said:
The center of the dash bewlow the radio on drivers side where it sticks out a little before narrowing to the shifter area. I hit my knee there all the time climbing in. I'm 6'5" so most probably won't have that problem.
Yes I have that problem too. I'm 6'3" I found though that moving the seat right the way back gave my poor knocked knee some more room...but it is still annoying as my knee tends to knock it as I drive.

Also I find the seats are a little too firm and also the seat belt plastic cowling at the back edge of the seat on the left tends to dig into my bum, So I have to adjust my position a lot. Acushion of some sort may be the answer.

The centre arm rest keeps moving back and forth as I drive with my arm on it, but some sticky tape on the underside rail will fix this.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I have to remind everyone not to slam the doors. They are so light and the hinge balancing requires so little effort to close them properly. I cringe when I forget to tell someone new to the car about this as most end up causing my teeth to rattle when they slam the door. Definately hate that. I've gotten diligent about reminding now but still forget now and then.:(

·
Registered
343 Posts
TechMan said:
I have to remind everyone not to slam the doors. They are so light and the hinge balancing requires so little effort to close them properly. I cringe when I forget to tell someone new to the car about this as most end up causing my teeth to rattle when they slam the door. Definately hate that. I've gotten diligent about reminding now but still forget now and then.:(
I've found that Chryco doors close alot easier than alot of other cars brands, so my response when they slam them is "what do you think it is...a Chevy?" LOL

·
Registered
775 Posts
Some of these have been mentioned already

1.) Can't see the end of the hood. Not as big a problem for me being 6' tall, I can see far enough to judge where the front of the car is, but my wife is only 4'10" and she has a harder time judging distance without seeing the end of the hood.

2.) The afore mentioned knee bruiser.

3.) The roof line at the top of the windshield is too far forward from the seat, making it hard to see traffic lights.

4.) Huge blind spot caused by the thick back pillars.

5.) Too much dash board. If you're going to put a table in front of me like that, at least make it flat enough to put things on without the items sliding off.

·
Registered
67 Posts
1. My drink cooling compartment doesn't cool like I thought it would. A box of a dozen popsicles . . . ruined!!!

2. I can't see what (or who) I'm backing into!

3. The car is associated with a myspace campaign that advocates the slaughter and torture of pigs and bears . . . oh my!

4. It drools from the back windshield. Nothing good ever comes from a leaky rear.

5. Cinderella's fairy godmother tried to change my sunburst orange Cali into a horse and carriage . . . thinking it was a pumpkin :(

·
Registered
361 Posts
Nice Stevo..

The only things I don't like have been mentioned, but they are also things that just about every car I've tried has. The traffic lights, the bending of the neck, the monthly concussion from smacking my head off the top of the door frame when getting in, etc...

New to the Caliber is that damn blind spot. I'm hoping I get used to it. I didn't mind it on the last test drive I took though. Also, when the seat is "pumped" all the way down, it leans backwards. That's annoying!

Something I really ike about my current car is when I turn on the turn signals, I get a light on that side of the car that shines from about 100 degrees back to the front which illuminates the corner / whatever I'm turning around. Kinda like an aircrafts runway turn off lights. It's rather handy at times, especially when theres debris on the road.

I like the extra crap on the steering column, I never get tired of extra levers, switches, dials, and lights :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Principal said:
Something I really ike about my current car is when I turn on the turn signals, I get a light on that side of the car that shines from about 100 degrees back to the front which illuminates the corner / whatever I'm turning around. Kinda like an aircrafts runway turn off lights. It's rather handy at times, especially when theres debris on the road.
I keep thinking that light is another car on the highway when switching lanes...and then i have to double check my mirrors.

I can't believe no1 else doesnt like their sideview mirrors... must just be me... but if you look at the caliber on our forum logo... it has the body color-keyed mirrors and i think it makes all the difference in the world

·
Registered
361 Posts
plumber said:
I can't believe no1 else doesnt like their sideview mirrors... must just be me... but if you look at the caliber on our forum logo... it has the body color-keyed mirrors and i think it makes all the difference in the world
I forgot that one! Just this weekend I was trying to remember if the R/T had black or cody coloured mirrors. Then I just happened to see one (one of those weird moments when something you're thinking about happens to materialize :)) that does kinda suck, but I don't mind it. It almost fits with the black out tape and black moulding..

·
Registered
137 Posts
There is only one thing I don't like about the caliber- the fake shift. I think this is the first time it has been mentioned in the forums, and I've been waiting for the appropriate place and time to mention it. When Dodge programmed the complex coding for the CVT2 they added what I call a fake shift to help drivers get used to the different feel of this tranny. The shift simulates a shift between what would normally be first and second gear by briefly dropping the rpms by about 500 typically between 2500 and 3000 rpms. When under heavier accelleration it will still do the fake shift, it just may do it between a higher number of rpms. I can understand why Dodge programmed the codes this way, but I find it a waste of good technology and completely unnecessary. When I push the pedal I want the rpms to climb and stay there until I let off the gas, the way a CVT should work.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm very concerned about the headlights. I don't have my car yet so I don't have a hands-on experience about it. In finnish car tests the headlights have been lousy. For example Saab has better normal lights than Calibers powerlights. In Finland that is a problem because we have a long and dark winter with lots of elks and deers running in highways :rolleyes:

·
Registered
160 Posts
jatael said:
I'm very concerned about the headlights. I don't have my car yet so I don't have a hands-on experience about it. In finnish car tests the headlights have been lousy. For example Saab has better normal lights than Calibers powerlights. In Finland that is a problem because we have a long and dark winter with lots of elks and deers running in highways :rolleyes:
Are you really sure that you'll get a hold on your Caliber before next spring ?? ;)

·
Registered
614 Posts
jatael said:
Surprised to hear that. Most reviews have given the headlights a strong positive. Personally, I find the lights to be excellent, particularily low beam. High beams are interesting in that they are optimized for distance rather than intensity. They give very good long range illumination but not that bright. Should provide more than enough though to pick up wildlife on the road at a safe response distance. I also find the driving lights on my R/T to be well suited for poor visibility / contrast conditions re: road edges.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Old_Dude said:
I'm 6'4", and honestly, the only thing I don't like is I have to kink my head to the side and down when I get in.
I'm (only) six feet tall but I also have a problem entering my Caliber. A problem, though, that I've managed to overcome. In my case, I think I have a longer than normal torso and even though I drive with the driver's seat lowered to it's bottom stop, I still have to bend my neck over to get in.

My solution to this is to back up to the driver's seat and grip the drivers door at it's front-most and lowest edge above the upper door hinge with my right hand and with my left hand I brace the door by gripping it on it's top edge toward the rear. As you wrap your right-hand fingers around the front edge of the door you can feel a plastic covering. I hold on to the door in this manner (the plastic covering preventing fingerprints on the paint), ease backward into the driver's seat and then and turn to the front while releasing the driver's door. I still have to bend my neck some but it's easer to bend it forward than to bend it to the side.

And as for the 'bend' in the center console busting your knees, I've just learned to drive with my seat slid rearward enough for my knee to rest below that turn.

But, does anyone else find the position of your foot to the gas pedal a little uncomfortable on those longer drives where you can't use cruise?

1 - 20 of 84 Posts