Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Would anyone happen to know which other Dodge model has the same gas cap size/type as our Calibers?

I would like to get one since my previous car had an interior release gas door lock. With the stories I've been hearing about gas syphoning... the lockable gas cap would put me at ease.

Thanks,

[D]iesel

·
Registered
689 Posts
They make a locking gas cap for the Caliber at Mopar accessories. I'll go find the Part Numer for you.

Ok, here it is:
Locking Gas Cap #05015636AB

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Can anyone confirm what makes/models that may be interchangeable with?

I've picked up aftermarket locking caps at WalMart or Advance Auto, etc in the past for prior vehicles that worked just fine and at just a fraction of the Mopar cost.

I only have a couple of minutes to do some research until probably Monday - but am seeing the same part # listed for some model years of the Chrysler Town and Country, Dodge Magnum, Neons, etc.

One listing said that the Mopar cap and key came as a package, but that the key had to be modified by the dealer to match the ignition key - or something like that (too little time to check it out thoroughly).

·
Registered
689 Posts
If it is the same part # for the Town & Country, Neon and Magnum, then it should work, somehow I doubt Chrysler decided to make a whole new fuel filler tube and new gas cap, just for the Caliber.

Here is the Stant (who makes most of the gas caps for aftermarket and for the manufacturers) number for one that is suppose to work on those.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Mopar makes two different locking gas caps. One uses a unique key for the cap. The other is keyed to your ignition key. I wanted the latter but its much too expensive. I was told that cap was $35 and the dealer wants $45 to key it. The first cap is about $15 and has its own key.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Huff said:
I was told that cap was $35 and the dealer wants $45 to key it.
Man what a rip. All they do is adjust those little pins inside. Probably takes them 5 minutes:rolleyes:

·
Registered
689 Posts
GOT said:
Man what a rip. All they do is adjust those little pins inside. Probably takes them 5 minutes:rolleyes:
Yeah, but you don't understand, first they would have to use the Electronic Reducer and reduce a service guy to go inside the keyhole of the cap, that guy would make changes, then he comes out and they have to enlarge him again. Thats not cheap. :D

In all reality, I bet they don't even do it themselves, they probably have a key company come in and make the changes, not sure most dealerships would have people on staff able to do that. Thats where most of that cost comes from.

·
Registered
197 Posts
ejfb said:
If it is the same part # for the Town & Country, Neon and Magnum, then it should work, somehow I doubt Chrysler decided to make a whole new fuel filler tube and new gas cap, just for the Caliber.

Here is the Stant (who makes most of the gas caps for aftermarket and for the manufacturers) number for one that is suppose to work on those.

I work at advance auto and I also have a neon, I tried the locking one off my neon on the caliber before buying one just to make sure and it works perfectly. Thats the right PN also, it only costs about $18 compared to the one from MOPAR.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Sweet! Thanks SweetBlueFTW!

I'll go check out Lordco (in Canada) for the part. You guys have been helpful.

Now something slightly off topic... I read somewhere in the forums that the Caliber gas filler hole does not have a valve. When I filled up yesterday, indeed it was true, no valve. Is this the norm for DCX vehicles?

Thanks again for the answers to the gas cap fitment!

EDIT: I can now confirm that P/N 10508 is the correct one. Fits exactly. Had to read the box to figure out how it locks out the cap (three clicks CW locks it)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts