Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all love our Calibers and they are very close to perfection but they still have some minor issues. I'm currently having "sound" issues and thought maybe some of you can suggest something (besides raising the volume of the radio :))

1. At high speeds (65-80) I notice a low metalic rattle that seems to be coming from the front passenger area. Maybe even from the center armrest console. I have tried pressing different areas (seat, console, etc) so see if I can hear a difference but so far nothing. I can't seem to pinpoint the location of the sound.

2. I hear sometimes (depends on the speed and wind) a rattling sound from the rear right window frame. Could it be a missaligned door?

3. I don't have the knocking sound in my engine but sometimes when accelerating quickly and then releasing the accelerator I can hear a very low rattle but it dissapears a soon as I accelerate. I think it might be the quality of the gas. I was just curious is someone else has experience this?

4. The driver seat squeaks when I lean forward or backwards. Is there anyway to lubricate it?

These are all minor issues on a great car. I just thought you guys can help me with some suggestions. Thanks ;)

·
Registered
82 Posts
The funny thing is, it can be as simple as the plastic covers in the engine being loose, or a bent heatshield that is rattleing up against the exaust. Just take it in and go for a drive with a technician to re-create the problem and point it out. Should still be under warranty.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Funny thing is.. with all the R&D on these calibers.. There should be nothing wrong with these cars.. especially NOISE problems..

·
Registered
901 Posts
1. At high speeds (65-80) I notice a low metalic rattle that seems to be coming from the front passenger area. Maybe even from the center armrest console. I have tried pressing different areas (seat, console, etc) so see if I can hear a difference but so far nothing. I can't seem to pinpoint the location of the sound.

Yep, I've had that same noise. Mine was the heat shield. It was fixed today in the same appt as my first oil change. No charge of course.

2. I hear sometimes (depends on the speed and wind) a rattling sound from the rear right window frame. Could it be a missaligned door?

I too have a rattle in the back that I haven't figured out yet. I've got some guesses though: it could be the license plate frame on the back rattling (there are only 2 screws that hold it on, and the bottom edge is unsecured). OR it could be the fold down speakers, closed and latched but still room to move. OR it might be the tonneau cover moving in its sockets.

I've also considered that it might be something loose in the rear subwoofer, or maybe the jack isn't secure in the spare tire well.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Ahhh YES!! I have that same sound at the same speed... sounds like it comes from underneith the passenger bucket seat. I've poked and prodded... could it actually be outside the cabin? I sure as hell thought it was something in the seat itself.

·
Registered
683 Posts
DodgeGirlKathy said:
I too have a rattle in the back that I haven't figured out yet. I've got some guesses though: it could be the license plate frame on the back rattling (there are only 2 screws that hold it on, and the bottom edge is unsecured).
There should be two little foam pieces stuck along the bottom that the license frame bumps against. Have your dealer give you a couple to stick on.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DodgeGirlKathy said:

Yep, I've had that same noise. Mine was the heat shield. It was fixed today in the same appt as my first oil change. No charge of course.
Did yours also sounded like it was coming from inside the cabin? Mine sounds like something in the passenger seat or the center armrest console.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Same thing for me to.... is sounds like its inside the cabin. I try to drive with the glove box door open to see, Nope wasnt it. I need to have someone else drive the car while I play around with it. I also thought it maybe the antena.

Keep us updated...

·
Registered
103 Posts
VZGuy said:
Funny thing is.. with all the R&D on these calibers.. There should be nothing wrong with these cars.. especially NOISE problems..
But not all problems are the result of design... some are the result of errors on the assembly line that for whatever reason went unnoticed..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I got my car back from the dealer. They fixed the rattles but basically had to remove the console and the pillar panel to find the cause :eek:. It was some cables bouncing and rubbing together because of the vibration. They secure them and the highspeeds rattles are gone.

On the other issues: the guy thinks he would have to order a new seat for the squeaking. It is not something that bothers me, so I'm waiting for the next oil change. They didn't see anything wrong with the cooling down pinging under the car. This also doesn't bother me but I could see how it can be annoying to some people. BTW they also didn't find any TSB on the subject. Can someone confirm is this really exists?

They gave me a rental while doing the repair plus they didn't charge me for the first oil change and repairing a tire with a nail on it. I'm very happy with their service :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ejfb said:
Did they pinpoint the location for the rubbing wires? Was it in th console or the pillar?
The noise in the armrest console was the cables. The noise I was hearing in the back was something loose on the pillar.

·
Registered
175 Posts
To make sure, the rattling, didnt is sounded like it was or around the passenger side, the dash or door area? But its in the armrest right? because i'm having the same problem...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Scjon03 said:
To make sure, the rattling, didnt is sounded like it was or around the passenger side, the dash or door area? But its in the armrest right? because i'm having the same problem...
Yes, the rattle sounded like it was coming from the passenger side/armrest console area (That one was the cable problem). The other rattle sounded like it was coming from the rear right side door. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
my neon has the same metalic rattle; if its from where i think it is; check the door-speaker.. might be loose ;)

·
Registered
175 Posts
The passenger door armrest or the center console armrest? (between the driver and passenger seats)

getting confused :p

·
Registered
78 Posts
Metallic rattle...
This could be related: For 10 years I have been looking for an annoying rattle in my van, which is noisy anyway, so it is not a major issue. I would hear it from the dash near the lower right winshield area, a passenger would hear it in the middle.
I stumbled across it recently, it was the hood hinge. Normal hoods like on real -cars they used to build in the late 60's have spring loaded hoods. These are always pushing one way or another on the hinge or pivot, even when closed.

"Modern" (prop-rod) hoods have no such tension on them, so they rattle. I put a piece of cardboard in there when I close it - fixed. I am sure there is a more elegant way to do it, and I will change it, some day.

Simple to try...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts