Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyway i emailed dodge directly about this question and they told me to ask my dealer, what a joke. im suppose to ask my dealer rather then the company who manufactured the thing? anyway my question is with what and how should i maintain the black trim on the exterior, specifically the trim running across the roof. im just thinking that its only a matter of time before it starts to fade and look like crap. anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I use a product called ICE. It is made by turtle wax and can be used on all finishes of the car except for glass. It is a wax like product that will protect the black trim from UV rays causing it to fade. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
901 Posts
j85 said:
anyway i emailed dodge directly about this question and they told me to ask my dealer, what a joke....
Why is that a joke?

The job of a customer assistance center is not necessarily to solve your problems; they are an advocate. They *should* be directing you to seek out information that already exists.

--> Did you know that your Owners Manual includes instructions for proper care and cleaning of your vehicle? see pg288-292. (Of course, they recommend Mopar cleaning products.)

And of course DCX is going to refer you back to your dealership!! It is part of your salesman's job to ensure you can not only operate the vehicle correctly but how to maintain it too. And if the salesman does not know, the people at the service counter do know. That is THEIR job. ~~ And of course, they will steer you to the service counter to buy those recommended Mopar products! ::rolling my eyes:: (not that you have to, but at least you'll have the information you need to go buy whatever you want.)

(FYI, I write operation and servicing manuals for a living.... we have to ensure that people can easily find what they are looking for (in our books) when the Help Desk tells them to go read it. Or maybe if it was already easy to find and people just looked at the book in the first place, they would see a call to the Help Desk wouldn't be needed... hmmm... We technical writers write manuals for a reason, folks!!! LOL)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ha ha, because it is a joke. the dealer didnt manufacture the vehicle, they just sell it. ill leave it at that since your so defensive about the subject.ha ha

·
Registered
126 Posts
j85 said:
ha ha, because it is a joke. the dealer didnt manufacture the vehicle, they just sell it. ill leave it at that since your so defensive about the subject.ha ha
I am not sure she was getting defensive, she was just stating the truth. Dealers should be able to answer those questions with no hasseles or questions asked. Beside, I would think DCX would be a pain in the ass to get a hold of. IMO.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Not defensive at all (sorry if I sounded that way), I don't write for DCX!!

Even at my company, if someone calls our central customer assistance number, they are routed elsewhere, to a department with more in-depth knowledge of the issue. It's just the way things work at a big corporation. ::shrugs::

Ok, admittedly it IS just a little exasperating when on forum after forum after forum, people ask "how to" when the info is in a book they likely have never opened. I may have been a tad sarcastic. My apologies.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
j85 said:
The dealer DOES sell the vehicle, but that is just one part of their operation (Sales Dept).

There is also a Service Dept and a Parts/Accessories Dept, who are the folks that I'm sure the customer assistance center is referring to - not the sales staff.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Scotty said:
I use a product called ICE. It is made by turtle wax and can be used on all finishes of the car except for glass. It is a wax like product that will protect the black trim from UV rays causing it to fade. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info, Scotty.

I checked on this earlier this evening, and found 2 different "ICE" products by Turtle Wax.

One was a "detailing" liquid in a spray bottle, the other was a liquid polish in a pour or squeeze-type bottle. Which one are you using/recommending for the black trim?

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have been using the liquid polish version of ICE and it works great. I use it on the entire car except the windows and it works great without leaving any white residue.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i took you the wrong way then. anyway the reason i asked them is because i did look through my book and i saw where it said how to wash it but i dont recall anything specifically related to the exterior black trim, i may have overlooked it though. ill try that ice. your using armor all wipes? doesnt that stuff say to keep away from plastic and paint? i know the trim isnt really hard plastic , but would that really be good for it in the long run? i wont even use that stuff on my interior because its greasy.

·
Registered
83 Posts
i took a look on my future car and i would use armorall as well...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Harley said:
Thanks for the info, Scotty.

I checked on this earlier this evening, and found 2 different "ICE" products by Turtle Wax.

One was a "detailing" liquid in a spray bottle, the other was a liquid polish in a pour or squeeze-type bottle. Which one are you using/recommending for the black trim?
I am using the liquid polish on the entire car except for the windows. Works great!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts