Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a bright silver SXT, but I really like the way the R/T looks like from the side, with the window pillars blacked out. I tried doing it with vynil, but no matter how hard I tried it still got little bubbles in it, and it looked like crap. But it looked great from afar!

Stock:

Photoshop of my intentions:

Should I mask it off and piss can it flat black? (I've painted my bike several times with piss can and done well at it) Or should I have it done professionally? Other alternatives?

Once I save a bit I'll be getting the rear windows limo tinted.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
22 Posts
The black out tape only comes with the sport package! At least, it's supposed to!

·
Registered
901 Posts
Perhaps you could buy the actual blackout tape from the parts counter at your dealer?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Yes. Kathy is right. They do have part numbers for the blackout tape at the dealer.

I talked about this in an earlier thread with someone else and now I can't find the thread. But he stated the part numbers I think too!

Good luck if they are ACTUALLY available to buy yet.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only problem with the blackout tape is the bubble concern. Maybe I could have them do it. I'll talk to my uncle who is a parts manager back home and see if he can get me some.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I would try the vinyl one more time. I am no pro, but I have put graphics on cars, bikes, and boats, and I find that a piece of hard plastic (credit card) with soap and water works well. Mildly soapy water in a spray bottle or mister. Use three or four drops per quart. If lightly spray the surface with the water, then lay down the vinyl, (vinyl will not absorb water) it will be able to be pulled up, it will even slid around as long as it doesn't touch anything dry. When it is in position if possible tape it down, so It doesn't move. Slide the hard plastic (there is an actual tool, but I'm not sure what its called) over the vinyl and force the water out. As you do so the water moves from under the vinyl and the graphic will stick. *NO BUBBLES*

·
Registered
22 Posts
I agrre with Palyboy42. This is the way to do it!
But in my opinion, the black out tape looks good from far, but that's about it... it's just a rough piece of plastic, hard to clean and will need to get clued back in place every now and then...

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I went to the dealer today to get the alarm installed and pick up a spare key, and I checked on the tape. $20 per strip!!!!

So it's either I get a roll from 3M and do it, or I paint it.

I just don't want to do something I'm going to regret in a few years.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Go to the Home Depot or Lowes and buy a plastic drywall knife for the plastic flattening tool. They are cheap ($2.99) and they work better than a credit card. You can get them in 4" and 6" widths too. You usually find them with the ready mix or in the paint section.

·
Registered
28 Posts
playB0Y42 said:
I would try the vinyl one more time. I am no pro, but I have put graphics on cars, bikes, and boats, and I find that a piece of hard plastic (credit card) with soap and water works well. Mildly soapy water in a spray bottle or mister. Use three or four drops per quart. If lightly spray the surface with the water, then lay down the vinyl, (vinyl will not absorb water) it will be able to be pulled up, it will even slid around as long as it doesn't touch anything dry. When it is in position if possible tape it down, so It doesn't move. Slide the hard plastic (there is an actual tool, but I'm not sure what its called) over the vinyl and force the water out. As you do so the water moves from under the vinyl and the graphic will stick. *NO BUBBLES*
My parents own a sign shop back in Newfoundland so this is the way we used to apply vinyl to vehicles and is most defintely the recommended route to take.

Vinyl is good because it stays in place for a long time and you can remove it if you need to without leaving marks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Why don't you just leave it stock, don't beat on it, pay it for 1 year then trade it for an R/T or save a couple grand and go for SRT4?

Thats what Im doing with my R/T.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Because i don't want to wait, and I like the gas milage

·
Registered
81 Posts
lol I hear ya..I would bet that when accessories begin to come out in full swing, you could find an actual plastic piece, or chrome if you wanted, to snap right on.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
diesel604 said:
TryThisOnForSize,

I was also thinking of doing the blackout vinyl on my SE. Where'd you get your vinyl tape from?

I got it from a shop that does signs with the vinyl letters. I am going to see if I can find a 3M store around here to get a roll instead of the small slice he gave me.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I was telling hubby that I wanted to do that too and he looks out the window and says, it's already black! Any other SXT's with black or is this odd? We did intially order it is a Sport but then cancelled the parts because we could buy them cheaper elsewhere. hmmm

1 - 20 of 38 Posts