Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Caliber for 6 days now and today when I got in it to go to work my Malfunction Indicator light come on.:eek: I was wondering is anyone would have a idea as to what this could be?:confused: I'm taking it to the dealiership tomorrow, but I would like to know if anyone else has had this problem?
Thanks in advance.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
683 Posts
The light could be for any number of reasons. Did it come on after filling up with gas by chance?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I haven't had put gas in it yet. They gave it to me on a full tank. I'm not even half way yet.
I was reading the manual and it said that it could be a loose or missing gas cap or poor fuel quality. but I haven't even touched the gas cap. I'm not sure.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
For the past year or so I've had a "device defective" message with a picture of a radiator half full come up every time I start up my Mercedes. Coolant level is normal so I asked at a dealers service dept. and they told me they have to change the sensor in the rad because it was broken. I didn't even ask how much that would cost, just told them I could live with it because the cars got over 200,000 on it. This could be the same problem, one of the many warning sensors busted.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I am going to the dealership today so I'll soon find out. Like you guys said it could be a number of things. I'm suprised that know one else has had this problem with there caliber. Thanks for your help.:) I'll let you know what was worng once I find out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Casey said:
I've had my Caliber for 6 days now and today when I got in it to go to work my Malfunction Indicator light come on.:eek: I was wondering is anyone would have a idea as to what this could be?:confused: I'm taking it to the dealiership tomorrow, but I would like to know if anyone else has had this problem?
Thanks in advance.:rolleyes:
Hi, I have the same exact problem! I've had my Caliber for 3 weeks now and the indicator light popped up 2 days ago. Since in the manual it said to wait a few driving sessions, I didn't call the dealership until yesterday. I have an appointment tomorrow, but would like a heads up if you found out what was wrong with it. Thanks

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Could b any one of these.

25-002-06 MIL Illumination P0456 - Evaporative System Small Leak
18-019-06 Flash: MIL Illumination - DTC's P0602, P167A, or P161B
14-001-06 Loose Fuel Cap Message or MIL Illumination for Diagnostic Trouble Code P0457 - EVAP System - Loose Fuel Cap
08-001-06 REV. A Erroneous Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's)

All TSBs that apply to the Calibers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did go to the dealership and ther was a malfunction in the car. They said it had something to do with the pollution that the car gives off. I guess the pollution that the car gives off, the car sucks it back in, brakes it down then spits in out the engin.:confused:(That what i got from the survice guy) So something was malfunctioning and the needed to order me a new one (Whatever it is) This was Thursday and Friday I got a call the part is in. (that was fast, they told me it would be in sometime this week.) N-E ways I get it fixed on Tuesday. It wasn't a huge problem I can still drive my car.:) It was just kind of scary at first when you don't know what it is.:eek:
Thank you everyone for your help;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Could be, I know absolutly nothing about cars.:eek: My last car was a 96 ford contour with 341000km on it. I bought it for $1000 CND and I had it for about a 1 1/2yrs. Its still running but it was time to move on. Lots of thing happened to that car but it didn't bother me. But my Caliber thats different. I only had the car for 6 days and thats what happened. A little scary for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
HSKR said:
Could b any one of these.

25-002-06 MIL Illumination P0456 - Evaporative System Small Leak
18-019-06 Flash: MIL Illumination - DTC's P0602, P167A, or P161B
14-001-06 Loose Fuel Cap Message or MIL Illumination for Diagnostic Trouble Code P0457 - EVAP System - Loose Fuel Cap
08-001-06 REV. A Erroneous Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's)

All TSBs that apply to the Calibers.
Yes, I just hope it is an easy fix. It is a shame when your new car has a problem

·
Registered
4 Posts
Casey said:
I did go to the dealership and ther was a malfunction in the car. They said it had something to do with the pollution that the car gives off. I guess the pollution that the car gives off, the car sucks it back in, brakes it down then spits in out the engin.:confused:(That what i got from the survice guy) So something was malfunctioning and the needed to order me a new one (Whatever it is) This was Thursday and Friday I got a call the part is in. (that was fast, they told me it would be in sometime this week.) N-E ways I get it fixed on Tuesday. It wasn't a huge problem I can still drive my car.:) It was just kind of scary at first when you don't know what it is.:eek:
Thank you everyone for your help;)
Thanks for sharing your answer from the dealership!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sounds like what you are talking about is an EGR issue then... EGR = Exhaust Gas Recirculation. Usually a system to make the emissions of the car cleaner (not really needed).

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
calibur said:
Sounds like what you are talking about is an EGR issue then... EGR = Exhaust Gas Recirculation. Usually a system to make the emissions of the car cleaner (not really needed).
No vehicles after '96 have EGR installed. I think '96 was the last year, could have been earlier. They now use the EVAP system. Different design and purpose, but both used for emissions reasons.

·
Registered
15 Posts
HSKR said:
No vehicles after '96 have EGR installed. I think '96 was the last year, could have been earlier. They now use the EVAP system. Different design and purpose, but both used for emissions reasons.
EGR are still on cars and used on the Ford 6.0l diesel all Model years (bad choice ). Caliber has an egr function test listed in the manual (if equipped).

·
Registered
683 Posts
I thought EVAP refers to the gas tank and not exhaust. On modern cars there is a system that sends gas fumes from the tank back to the engine. On older cars the fumes were vented.

On my 2001 Ram I have had numerous problems with the Evap system. One leak after another. Mostly hoses but also a plastic manifold that cracked. I have also heard problems with the pump that pressurizes the tank or the Evap solenoid. I have not had the same issues with my 2004 Durango so am hoping Dodge solved the problems that plauged 1997-2002 Dodges.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
calinthehouse said:
EGR are still on cars and used on the Ford 6.0l diesel all Model years (bad choice ). Caliber has an egr function test listed in the manual (if equipped).
I know there isn't any EGR on my 2.0L caliber, and I haven't personally seen it on any newer domestic vehicle. Did a little internet search, and it looks like it might still be used on some turbo deisels though, so maybe it's on the CRD in Europe.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts