Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any problems putting 89 or 93 octane in their SXT or base model Calibers? I put 89 in my SXT today to see if that would help with the pick up. I'll post an update once I drive around on it for a few days. Just wondering if anyone had done the same...

·
Registered
683 Posts
MCGHxNA said:
Has anyone had any problems putting 89 or 93 octane in their SXT or base model Calibers? I put 89 in my SXT today to see if that would help with the pick up. I'll post an update once I drive around on it for a few days. Just wondering if anyone had done the same...
I doubt putting higher octane gas in the Caliber will make any difference except to lower the amount of cash left in your wallet.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Huff said:
I doubt putting higher octane gas in the Caliber will make any difference except to lower the amount of cash left in your wallet.
Your correct, the most important criteria aside from octane rating is the quality of the gasoline itself.

From the Manual
Your vehicle is designed to meet all emission regulations and provide excellent fuel economy when using high quality regular unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 87.

The use of premium gasoline is not recommended. The use of premium gasoline will provide no benefit over high quality regular gasolines, and in some circumstances, may result in poorer performance.

Light spark knock at low engine speeds is not harmful to your engine. However, continued heavy spark knock at high speeds can cause damage and immediate service is required.

Poor quality gasoline can cause problems such as hard starting, stalling and hesitations. If you experience these symptoms, try another brand of gasoline (with the appropriate octane rating for your engine) before considering service for the vehicle.

Dan

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I took my Caliber for a spin today on regular streets to get to a freeway which let me keep a constant speed of 70MPH for like a half hour. I did notice a little more pep in my car than usual when I was accelerating and was impressed with it. With using 87 octane for 6 months straight, I thought I'd give 89 octane a try and it is working alright for me for the moment. Thanks to all for the input!

Ps. When I am ready to fill up again, I will report my MPG. Recently on 87 octane, I am averaging about 25/26 MPG city. During the summer I was constantly getting 28/29 city. The wheather in Det. MI is getting colder now so would the temp change make such a difference in gas milage? Thanks...

·
Registered
168 Posts
MCGHxNA said:
Well I took my Caliber for a spin today on regular streets to get to a freeway which let me keep a constant speed of 70MPH for like a half hour. I did notice a little more pep in my car than usual when I was accelerating and was impressed with it.
Your feeling of "a little more pep" is entirely 100% psychosomatic. Increased octane does exactly zero to improve the performance of an engine that is designed to work on low-octane fuels.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ha ha ha :) , well it does feel different to me. I've tried different octanes in other vehicles I've owned and experienced the same results. I don't know, but it just feels different to me.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
MCGHxNA said:
Ha ha ha :) , well it does feel different to me. I've tried different octanes in other vehicles I've owned and experienced the same results. I don't know, but it just feels different to me.
Well, of COURSE it does.

Your Caliber is indeed driving with more "pep".

It's not carrying as much weight - because your wallet is now lighter. :rolleyes:

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :eek:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hahah... Great, I knew I should have stopped responding to people's responses to my thoughts... hahah... It's all in good fun. I'll get you guys one of these days when you least expect it :eek:) ...

·
Registered
175 Posts
I use 89 octane since I had my car, no problems at all....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, here's an update on my fuel milage for the past week. Like I said in the above, I tried out 89 octane instead of 87 this time around and I had no problems. My fuel economy increased from 25mpg to the average estimated mpg of 26. So my mileage is getting somewhat better, but still not as good as when I was getting 29-30mpg over the summer...

·
Registered
41 Posts
After My last car I will only ou mid to premium gas in my cars. I know that lower grades of gas no matter what gas station you buy it from is all the same, gotten from all the same places, and processed all the same.
The only diff. would be the amount of water that could be in the fuel. now 87 has more particles in it that can cause where and tear on any engine. I had several bouts of bad 87 grade gas in my last car, from a number of diff big name gas stations! and it only makes sense that higher grade of gas may add more pep and may even possibly increase mpg simply b/c your burning a cleaner more efficient fuel.
keeping this in mind, running premium fuel all the time is not rec. b/c the combustion ratio it much higher causing more heat, in turn causing damage. in my opinion mid grade is better that regular but premium it not rec for reg use it this type of engine. I would rather lose the money in my wallet than pay more mechanic bills due to something a little as 10 cents diff in gass for plus. just a thought.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts