Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how this compars to others? My first take full had 40 city miles to keep the rpms down for breakin, then we went on a 2000 mile road trip, and the last tank was all city miles about 6 minutes to work. All Winter gas. Hopefully my next tank full will be better.

Attachments

·
Registered
721 Posts
Sorry, not an AWD, but my 2.4L FWD CVT Caliber has averaged 27 for the first tank, and I am averaging 28 on this tank I am on now, all with a little more than 200 miles on the odometer.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
That six minutes to work distance will kill almost any car's gas mileage. Maybe just a fluke, seems like the others were ok though. Hmmm....

·
Registered
721 Posts
Yep. I have noticed that the longer the trip I have, the better my mileage gets. I go 30 miles to work one way, so that is helping mine, about 1/3 of mine is city, the rest highway.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Xtreme Thunder said:
That six minutes to work distance will kill almost any car's gas mileage. Maybe just a fluke, seems like the others were ok though. Hmmm....
XT is correct. Six minutes is not enough time to even get the engine up to proper operating temp. The car will be running rich the whole time. Don't expect optimum mileage / efficiency under that scenario. Other than sitting and idling, that's about as harsh conditions for mileage you can get.

·
Registered
644 Posts
i average about 23 on mine, but have about 50/50 highway and city driving.

·
Registered
147 Posts
CHECK THIS OUT! I was supprised at this the other day & had to recalculate it to make double-sure! We just got 28 MPG on our last fillup in our R/T AWD! 307.2 miles, 10.984 gallons. The EVIC reported only 27.0 MPG. I always fuel it on level ground until the nozzle clicks off, then to the next $.25 mark (for validation on credit card billing to help identify any charges not mine).

Also, be advised, the EVIC report of fuel mileage isn't always accurate. Ours averages being .5 MPG high compared to actual, but has been 2.25 high once. So when posting your MPGs, post the calculated versions for accuracy.

See attached for our running MPGs so far. So far, we're happy with our AWD. Can't wait to see summer/spring numbers.

J

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just got home from a trip this weekend and was disappointed with my gas mileage. The car just hit 6000km and my trip was approximately 450km round trip. My car is showing less than 1/4 of fuel remaining so I'm thinking I will be lucky to get 475km before the low fuel light comes on.

This is on a Caliber SXT Sport. I used cruise the majority of the trip on mostly flat roads and had the cruise set around 72mph (120km/h) for most of the trip. I think this calculates to be around 24 or 25 mpg

Is this right and what I should expect?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I drive approx 23 highway miles to work, each way. Today, for the first time I got 26.5 MPG on my AWD R/T after filling up at a Shell gas station. This I find odd since I've always used BP fuel. Using the BP fuel I averaged around 19-21 MPG. Today's temperature was around 20 degrees F, the same or near the temps I had with the BP fuel.

Tell me...is Shell better than BP??? I think maybe so...

·
Registered
687 Posts
I often goto Citco/Road Ranger or BP but after reading now about GDOFWR's post above I'll try a tank of Shell gas.

·
Registered
340 Posts
MAYBE that's the key here. Since we get 26 all the time in our AWD. Almost always use Shell 87 (corner station) sometimes Sunoco 89. NEVER used BP ever.

·
Registered
267 Posts
My first tank was 24 mpg on whatever fuel was in the car when I bought it. Since then I've averaged 21-22 mpg with the occasional 24 on a road trip. I typically use Shell or Mobil/Exxon stations, haven't noticed a difference between the two. I did try putting in 89 octane and it brought the mileage up maybe 1 mpg at best. So I'm sticking with the recommended 87 because the difference isn't worth the price in my opinion. I'm still under 10,000 miles on my car and I'm waiting to see if I see improvements after the 10k mark as I've read other people's experiences here.

·
Registered
644 Posts
i use Shell V Power 91, or Chevron 91 only. my milage is lower because i also drive like a bat outa hell. when my fiance drives it, she averages a couple more mpg then i do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
we're getting about 29 mpg out of our RT AWD... 80 mile commute to work (round trip)... running 87 octane... 2600 miles on her

·
Registered
340 Posts
tbone are you using the EVIC or are you using the gas recpt method???

Only time I ever got that good was on a LONG trip from Cleve to Cincinnati and back. That was only 28ish if I remember.

·
Registered
1 Posts
8,000 kilometres.
Mileage gradually getting better.
95% of the driving done on twisting, bumpy mountain terrain roads. Lots of manual downshifting on the tight curves.
Mileage will immediately drop when speed is taken over 90KPH
Have managed on a couple of occasions to reach a low consumption rate of 8.5 litres per hundred kilometres according to the EVIC
Short urban trips or urban driving and the mileage drops to 9 or over litres per hundred.
Running regular unleaded.

·
Registered
3 Posts
OrangeRT said:
tbone are you using the EVIC or are you using the gas recpt method???

Only time I ever got that good was on a LONG trip from Cleve to Cincinnati and back. That was only 28ish if I remember.
Either way, it comes out about the same. My wife and I are both VERY pleased with the mileage. The biggest problem is the small gas tank. I think dodge should have figured out a way to get a few more gallons in there. It sure would help reduce the frequency of trips to the gas station. Then again, I'm used to my charger-which has over 2x the size of engine, gets about the same mileage (around 27-28), and has a 19 gallon tank!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I was getting 21-21.7 on my SXT all winter on oxygenated fuel, 100% city. I recently installed a K&N air filter, and changed the oil to Royal Purple Synthetic, with the tank 3/4 full. My mpg jumped to 22.4 on that tank, and the first full tank it went to 23.3 mpg. I now am on my first tank of non-oxygenated fuel, and with 150 miles driven, the fuel gauge is at 3/4 full.

Word of caution for those that use higher octane than required. High octane is designed for high compression engines. Higher compression engines cause low octane gas to detonate which is why the engine requires the additional octane to "slow" the burn to stop the detonation. When high octane is used in today's engines, the engine management can not compensate for this slower burning of the gas. The result is unburned fuel in the form of carbon. As this carbon builds up in the cylinder, it changes the compression ratio, sensors become damaged, and the catalytic converter fails prematurely. The small gains that you get using high octane, are greatly offset by the cost of it, and the damage that is being caused. 90% of cars do not need high octane fuel. If you have pinging or knocking, there is something that needs looked at by a mechanic.;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts