Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having been in the automotive glass business for about 10 years, I'm familiar with glass installation techniques and ultimate safety issues regarding eventual rusting pinchwelds and the importance of automotive glass in safety. I even had a part in writing the AGRSS 2000 (Automotive Glass Replacement Safety Standard) which in itself is a recognized ANSI standard (www.agrss.comm). I also had a big part in setting up the audit criteria for glass shops certifying to meet AGRSS standards. Windshields if not bonded correctly, can fail in crashes and compromise the safety features of the automobile and cause injury or death. One thing that leads to failure of the bonding surface is rust. It is the enemy.

I am concerned about my 2007 Caliber and the apparant lack of a "REVEAL" molding that keeps excessive moisture out of the pinchweld. Proper priming and a good urethane bed helps prevent that, but the way the pinchweld and the roof line is manufactured, causes me concern with water puddling and collecting in the pinchweld area. Typically, you would find a reveal molding that is pinched between the glass and bridges the roof line and the glass. This is typically bonded to the pinchweld and contains a butyl strip to help (but not completely) hold the molding onto the glass until the urethane sets. Notice that on the 07' Caliber, there is a reveal molding on the back glass.

Attached is the photo's I've taken of my SXT. Question: Is everyone else missing the molding on the windshield? I am concerned that a few years down the line, there could be excessive rusting on the pinchweld and we have big problems. Some body shops will not even touch these cars because of liability issues.

DCX - is this a design issue? I've seen many OE windshields and pinchwelds where the installation is not 100% and there have been failures? Should I tell you about the Jeep Cherokee I saw in Duluth that you could push the windshield out with your hands without even taking a cold knife out? Not nice!

In a roll-over accident windshields can provide up to 25% of the roof strength. Windshields are also a big factor in passenger side airbag deployment. The airbag inflates into the windshield before it expands to the passenger. If the windshield blows out first - guess what? Another nice thing.

I'd appreciate fellow Caliber owners comments on this important manner. See attached photo's.:eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bulldogger said:
Same here. I was told that this is part of the Calibers design, in casual conversation. Watch when your washing it as all the water falls through the corners, where the top of the windshield meets the body & comes out if I remember right, right in front of the bottom of the doors.
That's what Ralph Nader said about the Corvair. By the way, he was the keynote speaker at the last AGRSS meeting!

·
Registered
683 Posts
karenh56 said:
That's what Ralph Nader said about the Corvair. By the way, he was the keynote speaker at the last AGRSS meeting!
I love Corvairs and they are safe at any speed! Not much of a Nader fan myself.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Huff said:
I love Corvairs and they are safe at any speed! Not much of a Nader fan myself.
I'm not Nader fan either. He's a put.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Just looked at my 2004 Durango. Exactly the same design as on the Caliber. No problems after 3 years and no known issues on the Durango forums I frequent.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Mine looks the same as yours Karen. Since the rear quarter window is the same, I really didn't think twice about it.

Is the "missing" molding something that body shops or auto window glass shops could install?

Speaking of potential rust spots....
Next time after a heavy rain, open one of the front doors, and squeeze or move the rubber gasket along the bottom.... water collects behind it and doesn't really drain out till you "play" with the gasket. Not the most efficient drain holes, eh??

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would assume that if your windshield would be replaced by a reputable auto glass shop, they would be putting on a reveal molding. It would depend on the shop. A large amount of body shops don't do glass work, they farm most of their work out. Moldings also dress up the appearance of the installation. I guess I'm going to leave mine as is. I just wanted to know if all the Calibers out there were the same as mine (be design) or what.

Thanks for the replies!

·
Premium Member
29,881 Posts
As far as i remember, both of our vehicles a 2004 caravan and a 2004 dakota do not have the moulding that you speak of, but i have seen it on other vehicles so you have definitely peaked my curiosity on this matter

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'm not happy about the gap at the top of the windshield.

I'll raise it with the dealer the next time I'm there but from earlier posts that will probably not address the issue.

Has anyone gone to Speedy or another Glass place to have it checked out?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Your windshield is normal, well within DCX anyway. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts