Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just installed the Mopar cold air intake if anyone is interested in seeing what it looks like.Next item to be installed is the header (waiting for it to arrive).Tried to load pics but did not happen.Not sure what I am doing wrong.Anyone can tell me how to do this, it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
644 Posts
you have to have like 15 posts or something before your aloud to load images to the board.

·
Registered
190 Posts
how's the sound with the intake inside the car and outside?... get your post count up and post those pics.

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
c5dave,
Once you post pictures, if you wouldnt mind, we'd love to use photos of your car with the intake installed on our website. We have some photos of the intake by itself, and some black and white copied installation instructions on our webpage currently, but would love some real world photos by a member on this site!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Installed the Mopar CAI last week. You can definitely hear the engine now. It's a pain in the ### getting to the lower clamps. I pulled the battery for easier access. After I got it all installed, I thought the battery cover would hide some of the rats nest hidden by the original air box. Wrong! It rattles, no support except for the two front fasteners. I'm going to fab some sort of bracket to secure the rear section. It's off for now.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wouldn't get the headers if i were you. I think its a waste of money the intake is a waste of money to so is the exhaust. You won't get any real performance from either of them, you spend the money to say you own it. I have the intake and dual exhaust on my caliber, it sounds better but it cost 800 dollars for it to sound better and say i have mopar performance accesories on it. I put those two things on my caliber in May so i know if they are worth it or not.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I tend to agree to a point. I've installed an aircharger as well as performance exhaust on my xterra, benefits were minimal (sound not withstanding) I did gain a little omph while merging, and 2 mpg during the summer, but also lost 2mpg during the winter (comparing same type of trips, same period, before and after mod) I would expect the same on the caliber.
When it comes time to change exhausts due to wear, I'll consider the upgrade then...

·
Registered
377 Posts
The real power lies in retarding or advancing cam timing. Being CAN protocol and probably a similiar variant to the Ford VCT system, your local SCT-authorized tuner can alter the factory settings for advancing and retarding the cams.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Never expected alot of gain due to these mods.It is still only a 2.0L motor.When I want real performance, I'll drive my Vette.Adding a better air intake and exhaust sure doesn't hurt the car any.The cost ,for me anyway, is irrelevant.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I wasn't expecting any super performance increase, I liked the sound of the Mopar exhaust on the wife's Caliber so I got one. I was curious about the benefits of the CAI so I put one on my Caliber. When I feel the need for speed, I drive my Magnum Hemi.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I haven't seen nor heard the Mopar exhaust on a Caliber yet.I am curious what it sounds like.One forum member said it did not sound like a "fart can" exhaust but had a nice tone to it.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
So who's going to be the first to re-locate the battery and make a ture cold air intake?

·
Registered
644 Posts
ive been workin on it... been toying with the piping and stuff... honestly im just too damn busy to finish the thing...

·
Registered
203 Posts
:confused: :confused: Darn I am sooooooooooooo disappointed.. you mean if I put all the performance goodies on my R/T from Mopar, I won't be able to go 0-60 in 2.1 seconds and top out at 225????? what is the world coming too???:D :D :D ... Maybe if I put one of the gigantic wings on the back and a 10" diameter fart can and paint it neon green with hot pink flames it will go faster.. whatcha think???? (hush Bill and take your morning drugs.. all will be ok in a few minutes :p )

·
Registered
644 Posts
^^ lol .. ..

·
Registered
203 Posts
As a followup to my somewhat silly post above... I am gonna put on a catback (probably Magnaflow) when one becomes available and some kind of intake mod when one comes along that I like (or build).. why?? 'cause I want to. If I get a little more "oomph" and sound then all the better.. if not, oh well.

·
Registered
86 Posts
That's the only area large enough for the filter. The front area is filled with battery. There is an open area from the filter down to the bottom of the chassis. One could probably fab an air scoop under the car and route the cold air up to a box around the filter. Sort of a 'poor mans' supercharger. Of course it'll suck up road junk. The air conditioner radiator takes up most of the front area along with it's associated plumbing. No chance of routing cold air through there. Looks like a hood scoop is the only safe way to get forced air to the CAI.

·
Registered
447 Posts
But in the mean time it's sucking hot air front right next to the engine and almost directly above the the header.

Wouldn't that make it a HAI?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts