Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading the manual about creating mp3 cd's and it states that the name of the track can only be 31 positions. Does this mean i have to rename all my tracks before i burn them to CD ?:(

Anyone got any experience here, before i ruin a few cd's (or worse, screw up the player !!!)

Dave.

·
Registered
142 Posts
You will have to rename them, but I believe some software like nero may already shrink the name for you... I highly doubt you will screw up your player though. Maybe the CD's but not the player.

·
Registered
115 Posts
DutchDave said:
I was reading the manual about creating mp3 cd's and it states that the name of the track can only be 31 positions. Does this mean i have to rename all my tracks before i burn them to CD ?:(

Anyone got any experience here, before i ruin a few cd's (or worse, screw up the player !!!)

Dave.
It will display a scrolling name for the song, if it is more then 31 characters, only the first 31 will appear. What songs do you people have that are more then the characters "qwert yuioplkjhgfd sazxcvbnm" yeah mabey there are a few, but there can't be that many

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bummer........... a few thousand mps to rename.

And I've spent almost a year naming them and filling the tags.:( :confused:

Oh well........ at least the car's software doesn't come from Redmond........ does it ? :rolleyes:

Dave.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Playboy,

The file names can (in Windows) be 255 characters long. My mp3's have a file name with artist and title, such as...... "Elton John - Medley(Yell Help, Wednesday Night, Ugly).mp3". Thats 57 positions.

Dave.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I would try buring a CD first. From other MP3 players normally the character limit is the Artist Name or Song Title in the ID3 Tag, not the file itself. And like Playboy said, it will just truncate any characters over that. Give it a try with one CD. I'm sure a single Cd wont break the bank, I pay about $0.50 for one. You would also try a re-writable CD, then you wont waste one.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Why rename them just for the car? I mean you can see the artist and get a general idea of the name of the song. I wouldn't waste the time.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, there's no problem there with the ID3 tags......... all songs have both versions filled, so it doesn't matter what kind of mp3 player i use, the Artist and Title are dislayed.

I was talking about the actual file name as it appears on the cd, thus the file name that is read when the cd is loaded.

As for cd's........ how many do you want (i work with kilo's of cd's, spindles here, spindles there) ? I just wanna get it right, it's such a waste otherwise.:)

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
If you use Itunes, or Windows media player for your MP3s, you can update the song info from the internet and it will name it properly to work on your CD player and so you know the artist and song title in the file name as well. No realy need to re-name the files unless you put some of the lyrics in the file name.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Interesting. Looks like I may have been wrong. I dug up this old thread:
http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205

About the 3rd page in it talks about what files are compatible. It does confirm that the maximum number of characters in file/folder names for Level 2 (not sure what this is) is 31 (including a separator "." and a 3-character extension).

I know there are plenty of people on here with the 6-disc stereo. Can anyone confirm what happens if you try to play a song with a file name longer than 31 characters?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts