Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several members suggested that I make this mod to my vehicle. I dragged my feet a bit, but finally got motivated. Actually, I was using all of my available time driving and playing.

Adding the mud flaps was a very easy process. Follow my procedures and pictoral layout.

Tools: Phillips screw driver; 5/32" drill; adjustable wrench.

Here's the look before the modification.

A back look.

I used one of the existing screws (lowest in the picture) on the backwell. That's a hex-head screw. I couldn't use my ratchet because the tire was in the way and I had no intention of taking the tire off to complete this job. The adjustable wrench did the trick.

The screw is off.

Putting the flap on was very simple. I just lined up that whole the one on the mud flap and inserted the screw. I noticed that I had to press that wheel-well membrane towards the screw because without doing so, the screw was going into the hole. After that, I used my drill and 5/32" bit to fashion the hole for securing the bottom of mud flap to the fender. With the phillips screw driver, I used the provided screw to attach to the provided back plate.

Did that to both sides and I was done. My after picture isn't so telling, but you can see that the flaps are in place. Trust me. ;)

Another mod done. It was too easy.

Tyke

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Looks tight! :D

Do they add to the Caliber's look? Detract from it? Any use?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
caliber4whoosh said:
Looks tight! :D

Do they add to the Caliber's look? Detract from it? Any use?
Well...since you asked....

The car is silver with chrome highlights. The only thing black are the tires. I thought it would like nice to have had a 1 inch chrome plate going across the bottom back of the flap. Another thing I thought of was to have had the word DODGE in chrome. If that should ever appear, I'd quickly change these out for it.

Thanks

Tyke

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
You know, chrome spray paint isn't that expensive...:D:eek:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
caliber4whoosh said:
You know, chrome spray paint isn't that expensive...:D:eek:
Yeh, I know. I thought of doing that but I thought the paint would eventually crack, leaving peeks of the black plastic underneath. We shall see.

Tyke

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
MrTyke said:
Yeh, I know. I thought of doing that but I thought the paint would eventually crack, leaving peeks of the black plastic underneath. We shall see.

Tyke
It may not crack if prepped correctly...sanded, primed, sanded, primed, paint, sand, paint, clear, clear, the whole nine yards. Could come out looking good and shouldn't crack if all sealed correctly!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Yeah, I was just kidding though. :D

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Xtreme Thunder said:
It may not crack if prepped correctly...sanded, primed, sanded, primed, paint, sand, paint, clear, clear, the whole nine yards. Could come out looking good and shouldn't crack if all sealed correctly!
That sounds like work! How much are you charging? Well...never mind. The charge might get in the way of another beer. I'll wait to see it on eBay and maybe I'll snag it there...hint hint. I can't be the only one with the desire to have a chromed set of Dodge splash guards. ...or am I?

Thanks for the suggestion. I might try it.

Tyke

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
MrTyke said:
That sounds like work! How much are you charging? Well...never mind. The charge might get in the way of another beer. I'll wait to see it on eBay and maybe I'll snag it there...hint hint. I can't be the only one with the desire to have a chromed set of Dodge splash guards. ...or am I?

Thanks for the suggestion. I might try it.

Tyke
LOL! I work for beer!:D;)

Umm yeah it sounds too much like work.:D I was thinking ebay too, maybe someone will produce chrome or body color ones for the Caliber specifically!

Thats one of the mods that I would be doing, so, no; you're not the only one who wants a mod like that!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
+3 When I get my SRT-4 (Haha yeah ****ing right :D)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Xtreme Thunder said:
LOL! I work for beer!:D;)
Me too! HA!

Xtreme Thunder said:
...maybe someone will produce chrome or body color ones for the Caliber specifically!

Thats one of the mods that I would be doing, so, no; you're not the only one who wants a mod like that!
Maybe one of the youngsters will find this as an enterprising summer job and step to it for some quick cash. I'd definitely buy!

Tyke

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
MrTyke said:
Maybe one of the youngsters will find this as an enterprising summer job and step to it for some quick cash. I'd definitely buy!

Tyke
Yeah that would be cool, I would buy too and I am sure alot of others would too. If no one does it I will have to do it myself!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep.... $27 USD for the flaps and a reasonable mark-up for the paint-job. Mo-money, mo-money, mo-money!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Nice mud flaps. I want some of those.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I bought a set for my Wife's SXT. It has Charger wheels and Tires that protrude a bit more than the stock. It appears i will need to remove the wheels to drill the holes.
I am leaving these black, as the Cailbur is White with balck accents already.
I have color matched ones on my Magnum also due to oversize 255/55/18 tires. They were painted by Avon Custom Wheels. I will try and find a link.
The SXT before tint and Splash Guards:

Magnum R/T with Painted Guards:

Magnum with KW Supension drop:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Forgive my ignorance, but I can't really seem to tell from these pictures. Do you only put the mud flaps behind the rear wheels? Why wouldn't you want to put flaps behind your front wheels as well? Are the flaps designed to be used in the front and rear or just the rear? I would like to put these flaps on my R/T, but I need a better education first. Any response (even if it includes laughter and fingerpointing) would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I know I've said this before, but those wheels look awesome! :D

clock man - The flaps are for the rear wheels only, no clue why. ;)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts