Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving home tonight in my new SXT when The Who's "Love Reign O'er Me" came on the radio. I have always loved that song since my teens when Quadrophenia was released. Anyways, I gradually increased the volume with my steering wheel control as I drove along. At 30 on the volume level my teeth were rattling yet I could still hear clearly the full range of sounds. I'm no audiophile or expert, and in fact I'm probably tone deaf, but I truly enjoyed the experience. I know what I like and I like this Musicgate system.
Anyone have any suggestions on other music for tests??? My tastes are pretty eclectic.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Good to hear that the MusicGate is holding up good at increased volumes..:D

·
Registered
64 Posts
I recommend U2's "With or Without You" (to hear the droning bass and the E-Bow of the guitar) to hear purity, Dave Matthews Band's "Crash Into Me" to hear the nuances of the cymbals (ride cymbal, splash) as well as the tightness of the snare rolls for clarity, and Dream Theater's "The Root of All Evil" to hear the sensitivity of the amplifiers (song starts out with a drum roll that steadilly gets louder - Mike Portnoy, freakin' AMAZING drummer!). "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel is also a good tune to test out speakers, the triangle that plays throughout the song as well as Manu Katche's drumming (awesome). Or just anything by Dream Theater if you like good kick ass rock tunes!

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you have it, try out "Mr. E's Beautiful Blues" by the Eels. I don't know what it is about that song, but in any car stereo I've ever played it on, the sound just encompasses the whole car, especially the low end when this booming bass clarinet starts playing. I used to always call the song "sonic assault" so I always play that song first on any new car.

·
Registered
343 Posts
try it with something thumping....like Usher's Yeah or Hella Good by No Doubt

·
Registered
321 Posts
"The Mechanist" from the Time Splitters 2 soundtrack. You want to talk about bass? I had ricers with obnoxious bass rolling their windows up. :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
Dream theater...that brings back memories, and actually the whole Awake Album sounds very good, although the high-pitched ring from an old TV during the second to last speaking part in "Space-Dye Vest" isn't hardly audible, but if you really want to hear this system go I strongly recommend "Living In America" by James Brown. :)

·
Registered
414 Posts
I would not test it with JUST rock, go for some Andrea Boccelli, some Vivaldi, a little bit of Bond, and maybe even some Pat Metheny.

Then try some System of a Down, some good old AC/DC and then.....

hell, just hook the 60gb iPod up, put it on shuffle and drive until the music stops. :D

That is my plan at least.

·
Registered
62 Posts
This weekend I picked up Santana's boxed set, popped in the cd's on the way home.

Listening to Santana's "Evil Ways" on the MusicGate was truly a euphoric experience lol.

I've listened to Jazz just on the Sirius, but I've got some CD's I should take with me sometime, I imagine it will be just as amazing.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I went full extreme with mine. Michael Buble', Luther Vandros, Herbie Hancock, Barry White, Snoop Dogg, Ben Tankard, and Stephen King (audiobook). All of them had excellent clarity. I was using MP3 disks that were ripped at 320 kbps. Having 6 discs of MP3 music at my fingertips helps to off-set the lack of an auxiliary jack.

I haven't called my SIRIUS in yet. Been too busy playing.

Tyke

·
Registered
340 Posts
I got ours without the Musicgate system, wish we had it, but...... In our city we live the police are very strict about sound. They WILL and I mean WILL take your radio!!!! Several people I know have had their systems confiscated, not Calibers yet. :(

One of them was actually listening to Classical music! Did not see the police car in the lane next to him!!!! First offense is $100 fine, second is confiscation!

·
Registered
311 Posts
OrangeRT said:
...In our city we live in, the police are very strict about sound. ...One of them was actually listening to Classical music! Did not see the police car in the lane next to him!!!! First offense is $100 fine, second is confiscation!
That sounds TOO strict...however, whatever the ordinance is within the city, it must be obeyed. The trick of it is whether the law is enforced to the letter EVERY time.

whew....Glad I live in Maryland. I was pumping the tunes hard and loud today.

Tyke

·
Registered
155 Posts
OrangeRT said:
I got ours without the Musicgate system, wish we had it, but...... In our city we live the police are very strict about sound. They WILL and I mean WILL take your radio!!!! Several people I know have had their systems confiscated, not Calibers yet. :(

One of them was actually listening to Classical music! Did not see the police car in the lane next to him!!!! First offense is $100 fine, second is confiscation!
Man wish we had that law around here, need one for the harley boyz , too.........:p

·
Registered
155 Posts
Harley said:
Harley boyz?

Hoo bee thay?

Hey, thar goez one now!! Grab the shotgun Merle, we'll fix that "eazy rydr"..........:D I owned a 47 Knucklehead back when I was younger than you look like thar, thought the noise was kool, now that I'm 58 things have just toned down a wee bit, still like the hogs, but the quieter ones!!:eek::cool:Ride on!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
The Musicgate is SWEET!!:cool:
After browsing over my CD's and ipod I was going to play INXS - Devil Inside as my first test of the sound system. But after days of contemplation (lol), my final choice was INXS - Pretty Vegas.
Great song...
great system!!!!!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Only issue with musicgate is the great bass. It leads to a rattle from the door vibrating against the side of the front dash. I think this can be eliminated with a little southern engineering though....

·
Registered
137 Posts
You've noticed that too?!?!?! It's been driving me CRAZY!!! The logical solution is to turn my music down, but I've never been known for my use of logic. I've honestly been wondering if I blew the left front tweeter under the windshield. I'd like more info on that "southern engineering," I'm in the Midwest :p

·
Registered
414 Posts
The Stereo in the R/T is AMAZING, the MP3 discs seem to absoulutely have the best sound. I was a bit bummed about not having a aux jack for my iPod, but after burning 6 discs with 170 songs on each, I am blown away by the sound and don't regret the choice at all.

The steering wheel controls are very handy and easy to use. The only downside was my wife came in and told me that they had swapped sides, she was out showing our neighbor how it worked and said that the volume was now on the left side and it was press up to lower the volume.

After ranting a bit about "the problem" I went outside to see what was going on.........

I told her to make sure that the little Ram head was upside right next time.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts