Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bulldogger said:
Your ears would really been pi**ed had you ported that enclosure.
that is a box i had laying around. im gona try my hand in some fiberglass. so wish me luck pictures will be posted.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I was debating putting my 15" MTX 9500 in my caliber but looking at that pic i definetly changed my mind. 1000w of subwoofer that close sharing cabin space is definetly a bit too much. Even in my van its overwhelming.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Bulldogger said:
Your ears would really been pi**ed had you ported that enclosure.
All depends on the sound you are after. Ported boxes are "tuned" for a certain sound. I like my dual 10" subs I have in a sealed box in my Dakota. They hit harder than most 12" subs I've heard, and most people can't believe they are 10" when they hear them.

·
Registered
140 Posts
^^ indeed... I had 2 Elemental Design 6.5" subs in a 30Hz slot ported enclosure... hit a 130db and sounded just as good as my JL 12w3's, not as loud, but sounded really great and had awesome low frequency extension.

Ported enclosures are always louder at a certain frequency than a sealed enclosure with the equivalent equipment. Sealed enclosures have a much flatter response curve and in general are better for actual Sound Quality.

·
Banned
554 Posts
HSKR said:
All depends on the sound you are after. Ported boxes are "tuned" for a certain sound. I like my dual 10" subs I have in a sealed box in my Dakota. They hit harder than most 12" subs I've heard, and most people can't believe they are 10" when they hear them.
I know more about box designs than most. I've done prototype testing for one of the biggest names in the industry. Maybe have a gander at the truck in my sig.

P.S. - Enclosures are not tuned for a "certain sound", they are tuned to a specific frequency. What Dawson said.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Bulldogger said:
P.S. - Enclosures are not tuned for a "certain sound", they are tuned to a specific frequency. What Dawson said.
Most people don't know anything about "frequencies" so i was trying to use layman's terms. Sorry for dumbing down my post. While I don't design stereo systems, I do know the theory of them.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Some people are just belligerent

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Bulldogger said:
I've done prototype testing for one of the biggest names in the industry. Maybe have a gander at the truck in my sig.
Not impressed. IMO, big ass boxes like that are a waste of a vehicle. I like to still be able to use my vehicle for what it was made for, and that includes the back seat. Know what's real funny. I had a no **** $300 system in my old '94 thunderbird. Side by side with $1000+ systems it sounded better. Sure, the other systems might have had higher DBs, but they sounded like **** doing it. And unless you are doing nothing but DB drag racing(which most in here aren't) they'd rather have good sound quality as opposed to just loud.

And just for inforamtion purposes, I have two 10" IDQ DVC subs in my truck in an MTX thunderform box powered by a MTX RT2400X amp, and Arc audio components powered by a 40Wx2 Arc Audio amp, with a Alpine CDA-855 head unit. Total cost in they system when I originally installed it was around $1200, but I paid for the install. In my Thunderbird, which I no longer have, I had a Panasonic head unit, stock JVC component speakers, and two 12" Legacy Audio subs($70 for the pair), a $30 Ebay special sealed box, and a Sony Xplod 1000W amp. Like I said, cost me $300 total, and for the price it sounded awsome. Not trying to brag, just saying what I had. Neither of them were anywhere close to competition level systems, but they weren't built for competitions either. They both sounded great to me and to anyone who heard them. I even have friends call me to "tune" their amps because they like the way my systems sound.

·
Registered
644 Posts
little bulky, but im sure it hits. in a hatch especially, ull get a much better sound, clearity, and range out of some 10's though....

·
Banned
554 Posts
HSKR said:
Not impressed. IMO, big ass boxes like that are a waste of a vehicle. I like to still be able to use my vehicle for what it was made for, and that includes the back seat. Know what's real funny. I had a no **** $300 system in my old '94 thunderbird. Side by side with $1000+ systems it sounded better. Sure, the other systems might have had higher DBs, but they sounded like **** doing it. And unless you are doing nothing but DB drag racing(which most in here aren't) they'd rather have good sound quality as opposed to just loud.

And just for inforamtion purposes, I have two 10" IDQ DVC subs in my truck in an MTX thunderform box powered by a MTX RT2400X amp, and Arc audio components powered by a 40Wx2 Arc Audio amp, with a Alpine CDA-855 head unit. Total cost in they system when I originally installed it was around $1200, but I paid for the install. In my Thunderbird, which I no longer have, I had a Panasonic head unit, stock JVC component speakers, and two 12" Legacy Audio subs($70 for the pair), a $30 Ebay special sealed box, and a Sony Xplod 1000W amp. Like I said, cost me $300 total, and for the price it sounded awsome. Not trying to brag, just saying what I had. Neither of them were anywhere close to competition level systems, but they weren't built for competitions either. They both sounded great to me and to anyone who heard them. I even have friends call me to "tune" their amps because they like the way my systems sound.
You don't have a clue.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.