Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took an R/T home today to show the family what should be arriving in the next 2 weeks. The local dealer just rec'd their first R/T's. After reading others accounts of their impressions, I have to say mine were very similar. Here's some specific comments which may sound familiar and maybe some new extras.

Looks and comfort:

The R/T was Inferno Red with chrome wheels. I've never been a fan of red but I must say it did look quite good. The chrome wheels were a little too bright for me. Played with the seats and found the seating position and reach to the autostick basically ideal. The R/T looks do NOT disappoint the expectations created by all the great photos posted on this forum. The instrument panel was in matching red but the seats did not have the red inserts, panel bezels where chrome. This one had the steering wheel audio controls which are the same as on my present Liberty. They are the best design I've ever come across. The cruise control no look controls you can reach with your finger while holding the wheel match the elegant audio controls. No need to look down like hub controls. Plastics are decent but not the best to be found. Very respectable though. I was hoping to hear the nine speaker setup but this car did not have it.

Driving experience:

As mentioned previously, the launch acceleration is not really what this car is about. Stop light goers need not apply until the SRT4 arrives. For the rest of us, mid range and highway performance is very good. The autostick is sooo easy to master, I found myself easily simulating a manual tranny downshift only never before so pure. No comparison to a regular automatic downshift. Comments about the precision of the autostick are bang on. If it turns out to be reliable, this is the way to go. This car is quiet, outside and in. Comments about any engine thrashing or lack of refined smoothness confuse me. Chassis rigidity is superior. The four cornered ABS disks are confidence building. Reports of the ride firmness in my opinion are overstated. Using my traditional speed bump test, I found the sport suspension on the R/T to be surprisingly supple. No harshness at all unless you are used to driving a floater:) I didn't get a chance to ( and wanted to respect the demo car )push handling to any significant extent. Seat of the pants drivers will get a quick read of lots of potential.

Looking forward to my made to order R/T more than ever.
Driving this R/T satisfied a few concerns I had from other postings. If this car is reliable, DCM should sell these in some impressive quantities.

·
Registered
311 Posts
TechMan said:
Took an R/T home today to show the family ...EDIT...As mentioned previously, the launch acceleration is not really what this car is about. Stop light goers need not apply until the SRT4 arrives. ....EDIT... Seat of the pants drivers will get a quick read of lots of potential.

Looking forward to my made to order R/T more than ever.
Driving this R/T satisfied a few concerns I had from other postings. If this car is reliable, DCM should sell these in some impressive quantities.
You were BANG ON with your comments. I especially liked your "seat of the pants" comment. I look forward to hearing more of your evaluation after you can push your own vehicle a bit more than the demo vehicle. You'll be wonderfully surprised at its performance. Autostick-autostick-autostick!!! Say no more!

Tyke

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Thanks for the test dude, very informative. :D

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My wife and kids really liked it. My wife took it out last night to a meeting of her ladies sorority ( aka "stitch and bitch":) ) and told me this AM her specific likes and dislikes.

seat comfort and vertical adjustment, autostick, quietness,
steering response, brakes, looks, ingress/egress (re: dress wearing:) )

Dislikes: Can't see front corners, she is petite and likes to recline her seat quite far back. She was nervous parking it because of that.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Good to have a woman's opinion!

Haha....stitch 'n' bitch...:D

·
Registered
901 Posts
caliber4whoosh said:
Good to have a woman's opinion!

Haha....stitch 'n' bitch...:D

Um, excuse me? You do realize there are women on this forum who have been giving their opinions all along.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I know I was just saying that as a nicety...sorry.........:eek:

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Careful Caliber4Whoosh. The ladies here have made some of the best contributions. My experience with ladies is to make sure "all innocent comments" directed their way are "clearly" not offensive or imply criticism. Married now for 18 years:)

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Yeah, I don't have that experience..:D

Once again I apologize..:eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts