Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I just purchased a 2007 Inferno Red Caliber R/T, 5 speed manual transmission with a 2.4 liter engine. I can't wait to pick it up tonight after work! It came in to the Dealership on Friday and I bought it on Monday. I understand that there are waiting lists...I guess I consider myself lucky to get one so quickly!

I am very excited about my new Caliber! :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Welcome to Caliberforums Talseerman!!:)

Congrats on the purchase too!

Where are you located? I saw one of those over the weekend at a local dealer, Inferno Red, 5 Speed, 2.4L (Has to be R/T FWD)! Maybe it is a coincidence!?!:) :cool: ;)

Pictures when it arrives into your driveway!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Also I would like to know how this car performs compared to the CVT (if you have drive the AWD R/T)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Xtreme Thunder said:
I saw one of those over the weekend at a local dealer, Inferno Red, 5 Speed, 2.4L (Has to be R/T FWD)!
Does this mean the R/T Fwd will be available with a 5-Speed manual? Am I reading that correctly?

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
LuckyBoy2007 said:
Does this mean the R/T Fwd will be available with a 5-Speed manual? Am I reading that correctly?
You read it correctly!:) :cool: R/T FWD comes either 5-speed manual or CVT2 w/ autostick. (U.S.A.) Base price R/T FWD is 17K

·
Registered
89 Posts
Xtreme Thunder said:
You read it correctly!:) :cool: R/T FWD comes either 5-speed manual or CVT2 w/ autostick. (U.S.A.) Base price R/T FWD is 17K
Now What do I do?
I was all set on an SXT Sport 2.0 L, this throws a wrench into that idea. Has anyone had any experience with the 5 Speed manual on the Caliber? How DOES it perform? I would guess the 2.4 L mated to a manual transmission would get similar gas milage to the 2.0 L mated to the CVT...?

·
Registered
287 Posts
I love my R/T AWD with the CVT, but as far as performance goes...

not a big fan, as of yet

I have heard that the CVT really wakes up sooner or later, but as of right now, it is sleeping soundly.

Regardless, a manual transmission is almost always better for spirited driving (aslong as you can shift well). Plus the manual can probably handle more torque.

·
Registered
89 Posts
n1vek said:
I love my R/T AWD with the CVT, but as far as performance goes...

not a big fan, as of yet

I have heard that the CVT really wakes up sooner or later, but as of right now, it is sleeping soundly.

Regardless, a manual transmission is almost always better for spirited driving (aslong as you can shift well). Plus the manual can probably handle more torque.
What is CVT not doing (is doing) that is making you not a fan of the performance yet?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Hey thats up north of where I am. Congrats! I'm hoping mine gets a move on here... Been sitting in the same railyard for almost 24 hours. Its half way here.

·
Registered
287 Posts
LuckyBoy2007 said:
What is CVT not doing (is doing) that is making you not a fan of the performance yet?
Well is just isn't a very performance oriented transmission. The RPMs climb very slowly (even when in AutoStick mode) and I feel that a 172hp engine should perform quite a bid differently than it does.

Additionally, the 1.8L with the 5spd performs as well as the 2.4L with the CVT. That alone tells you something about the CVT's performance. I am not knocking the CVT as a nice transmission, it just does not transfer power as well as a traditional manual or even automatic.

If you want a nice daily driver, the CVT is great and drives very smoothly. It is just that where I want to go with my next car (I currently am driving [my parents] a R/T AWD, but will be buying my own car in a year or so [looking at the 5spd R/T] and want to know what it is like).

However, I love my R/T AWD with the CVT and it is a spectacular car. It is just that I plan on doin some performance upgrades with my next car (bolt-ons and possibly a turbo setup) and I want to know that my transmission will be able to handle the jump in power.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wow, finally at long last, the FWD RT. I checked you can't even build and price one yet at the Dodge website. I was curious as to what you payed and what options you got. From your previous post it sounds like the base FWD RT starts at about the same price as a sport SXT.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
LuckyBoy2007 said:
Now What do I do?
I was all set on an SXT Sport 2.0 L, this throws a wrench into that idea. Has anyone had any experience with the 5 Speed manual on the Caliber? How DOES it perform? I would guess the 2.4 L mated to a manual transmission would get similar gas milage to the 2.0 L mated to the CVT...?
Window sticker for the 2.4L R/T FWD 5-Speed said 26/31 for mileage:cool:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Xtreme Thunder said:
Window sticker for the 2.4L R/T FWD 5-Speed said 26/31 for mileage:cool:
That is what I like to see! I would love to have that kind of mileage when drivin' around town. And the highway mileage looks good too!

I am in love with "my" current R/T, but I look forward to my next one! Gotta love the 'Bur.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here might be a novel idea..How about a Caliber in a convertable? I think it would be hot as hell! What does everyone think?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Talseerman said:
Here might be a novel idea..How about a Caliber in a convertable? I think it would be hot as hell! What does everyone think?

im gunna go with a big negative on that one there, but hey if youve got the money some one can do it for you....bad idea though better luck next time

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Talseerman said:
Check out the photo below. I saved it from one of our earlier "photo mod" discussions on this board; it's an excellent result of one of our fellow board member's creative efforts.

If you go back and browse the early posts about photo modifications, you will see more like it (not necessarily convertibles, but neat photo edits) - plus proper credit can be attributed to the person who did it (unless the claim comes here, too).

·
Registered
614 Posts
Congrats on your new R/T.:D I and probably others would like to get your impressions on the feel and performance of the R/T 5 speed. No one has provided a measured or subjective eval of this configuration yet. Can you help us out? How does she go?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts