Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am ordering two 5oz spray cans of Marine Blue Pearl touch-up paint and one spray can of Clear Coat. I will be painting my silver console inserts to match the body color of my Caliber. Ay $12.95 per can plus the cost of masking tape (I already have a can of primer), I expect the mod to cost no more than $40.00. Any extra blue paint left over, will be used for any scratches I get in the exterior paint (like the one I already have in the rear bumper).

I figure this will look better than the blue inserts that you can buy since that blue is darker than the Marine Blue and my project will better match the car's original color. I will post pictures when I get the mod done. Any thoughts on my idea?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hey Michael- Before you paint, make sure to scuff up the surface with a 3-m Scotchbrite pad or something similar. You don't want to got through all that work just to have the paint start flaking off in the future. I've thought of doing the same with mine, just haven't got around to it yet. Good luck and send pics when you get it done.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fitz said:
Hey Michael- Before you paint, make sure to scuff up the surface with a 3-m Scotchbrite pad or something similar. You don't want to got through all that work just to have the paint start flaking off in the future.
I was planning on it. I have some 600 grit sandpaper that I am going to lightly rub over the surface first. I am also going to put a coat of primer on it before I hit it with the blue paint.

Pictures will be a must. I have to order the paint online and where I am, it can take up to two weeks to get here through the military postal system. I don't expect to complete the project and post pics sooner than three weeks from now.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
i have done that in the past.....worst mistake i ever made! if i were you i would use a type of sprayable dye. there are hundreds of colors to pick from. i for one will never paint the interior again.....dye is the way to go and is just as cheap. any auto paint store will have it.

Bryan

·
Registered
197 Posts
I was going to do the same thing w/ mine, but then I backed into my bf's sister's neon...so I have to get the rear bumper repainted. Im just goin to take the trim off when I get that done and have the shop paint it to match.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Good idea on the shop painting it. I'm sure if you went to any good body shop with components in hand it would't cost much for them to track down the color code and paint em!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I dont know about the Cali..haven't looked but most cars have the paint code on them somewhere...Look in the door frame or somewhere around the top of the firewall for the sticker.

·
Registered
197 Posts
yeah...the inferno red paint is crazy expensive!! :(

$100 a pint :(

·
Registered
66 Posts
UN4GTBL said:
I re-did my silver one here and added a few things to it as well here: http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4520
Yeah I saw that man, you did a good job, if I had the ambition and resources I'd probably attempt to do something like that haha But I do want to remove my caliber badge from the back and put it between the cubby hole and the radio, i might even take my sxt letters and place them on the dash someplace. Then I would definately get even more people asking me what kind of car it was with no badges

·
Premium Member
29,881 Posts
20.07caliber said:
Yeah I saw that man, you did a good job, if I had the ambition and resources I'd probably attempt to do something like that haha But I do want to remove my caliber badge from the back and put it between the cubby hole and the radio, i might even take my sxt letters and place them on the dash someplace. Then I would definately get even more people asking me what kind of car it was with no badges
I had the SXT down around my shift boot, but it just looked like too much so i took the SXT badge and stuck inside my upper glove compartment :rolleyes: :D

I had the CaLIBER badge between my radio and cubby b4 I painted everything, and I liked the look of it so I say go for it!:D

One word of caution is that I put too much goo gone on when i removed my caliber badge so the tape that i had on the front of the letters to maintain the spacing fell off, also the 3m tape on the back was not nearly as stick as it should have been so just use the goo gone sparingly when/if you do that

·
Registered
32 Posts
if the paint matches your body color i would say why not do some eyelids...
your allready going to have the paint and primer.... well you might need one extra can for good mesure....

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
The method that I used to debadge my car is to use a plastic putty knife and cleaned up the surface with either surface prep, alcohol or WD40. The only caution is to only use a plastic putty knife with a nice, straight and clean edge. Pressed down almost flat to the surface and just one even push and it all comes off very easily. At times the adhesive is pretty much all gone and not much clean up to do.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts