Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm new here...and when i first came to this forum...it wasn't very active at all...but, i suppose i'll lounge here and the other forum i go to from now on since activity here obviously has changed...this post came from the other forums...but, i figure its a good one to post here.

i've been reading...and reading...enough for me. too many biased people...to many people who care about speed...to many of this and that.

i'm going to jump around...its 1:25...and i work night shift...so bare with me...

i'm 22...i have a wife and daughter. i'm in the united states air force. i'm trading in my montero sport 2001 4x4 that has over 81,000 miles on it. it gets around 14/18 mpg. ideal? hardly.

my needs are this: a dependable family
car, great room for drives and storage, gas mileage, and yes...a nice design.

many friends argued with me about trading in a v6 for a 4 cylinder. one...what i've discovered (and don't argue with me...because i've been driving
cars from mercedes clk 430 to hondas...so you won't budge my opinion...) is that too many look at numbers and features that are quite useless to most average joes in daily life venues. i don't tow anything (no trailers...no jet skis...no dirt hauling...or whatever)...and i live in the city...no dirt or steep roads...which would validate a true use for 4x4. i've driven in blizzards and hell-acious rain in rwd and fwd just fine...no problems for control.

NOT ONCE did i ever...ever...have to use 4x4 in my suvs....

when i test drove a caliber (which was a se 2.0 model)...i immediately felt the difference between my v6 and the 4 cylinder...after around 20 it started to show the smoothness of the engine. i was always waiting for the cvt to shift...but, enjoyed (which is a simple pleasure...don't understand why...but, it made me grin) how smooth it was without the feel of shifting in the gears. when i drove around...the most important aspect for myself was this - IT WAS COMFORTABLE and a great ride. the sales rep was in the passenger seat and my wife in the back. my wife said the backseats were very comfortable and enjoyed the drive.

the interior...wasn't what i expected. i thought it was going to be all cheap...but, to my surprise...was very...hmm...satisfying.

for what damn reason would i need a car that can push 250 mph? for a joy ride? ...please. maybe if i was still 18 years old...or just some serious car freak...then sure. but, i've got a family...and we have one car for right now. the caliber presented great
gas mileage and a wonderful driving experience. at first i complained about it...because i still sometimes get sucked into (i wanna just drive the hell on the interstate) speed issues...but, i have to be realistic. it has power...it has speed but, come on...dodge isn't advertising it as a "speed demon with mad torque" car. you want that...but a damn sports car. why are you complaining here?

in my honest opinion the caliber does what its intentions are...a great versatile cuv (call it what you like). it serves its purpose as a great family replacement suv (yea yea...its not a SUV...but it isnt a true hatchback...a wagon...a compact...and has the appearance of a midsize suv...so wtf you wanna call it? ...hell cuv is all that comes to mind).

also...from what i've been discovering...the awd r/t may actually be a drawback in direct comparassion to the sxt...because of the weight ratio (300 pounds thanks to the awd being added...hindering its overall performance). but, thats just my opinion and research.

i talked down my sxt to mid-range 16,000 from 18,000...and my payments are just going to be a 40 dollar increase from my 2001 montero sport...good deal? yes. if something was to go wrong with the car...its repairs would definately wouldn't justify the overall value of the suv imo when it is all said in done (on top of maintance once it hits 100,000). warranty is just about up to for the car (extended warranty).

when you buy a car...buy the car what you need it for...and as long as you are happy...thats all that matters (my wife is simple..."a car is a car...gets you to point a to point b"). as for "american car companies suck for reliability..." well, i've always loved japanese cars...and bashed american cars...but, lately...my head has been turning and admiring new american cars...and from what i've seen and heard from friends...american car companies are sharpening up their attitudes and realizing that they need to push back too and regain lost marketshare. dodge has been on a great run so far...with new cars producing satisfying results with the consumers. hell, it takes one bad car from any car company...to create one jaded buyer. but, it takes an educated idiot to understand that s.hit happens and there could be a lemon in a lot...honda...acura...ford...dodge...whatever. thats why you buy warranty...and if problems keep happening...well...sucks to be you...trade in the damn car. happens to the best in life...nothing in life is gauranteed.

with that said...imma enjoy my sxt with my family. :cool:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Congrats on the SXT, hopefully it serves you well. I agree with pretty much everything you and your wife said. I'm 37, but no family, and primarily my car is for getting back and forth to work. I'd like the SRT, I don't think I'll ever lose that need for speed completely. I was raised listening to my father say the real speed limit is "all you can get". For those days I have my motorcycle (99 Honda VFR800fi Interceptor) that was a hell of a lot cheaper than anything on the road (read cars, I know there are cheaper bikes), gets better mileage than most stuff, and theres not much besides other bikes that could touch it. Not a true crotch rocket, but can do 150 comfortably.

as for "american car companies suck for reliability..." well, i've always loved japanese cars...and bashed american cars...but, lately...my head has been turning and admiring new american cars...and from what i've seen and heard from friends...american car companies are sharpening up their attitudes and realizing that they need to push back too and regain lost marketshare. dodge has been on a great run so far...with new cars producing satisfying results with the consumers. hell, it takes one bad car from any car company...to create one jaded buyer. but, it takes an educated idiot to understand that s.hit happens and there could be a lemon in a lot...honda...acura...ford...dodge...whatever. thats why you buy warranty...and if problems keep happening...well...sucks to be you...trade in the damn car. happens to the best in life...nothing in life is gauranteed.

When I was younger I was never a dodge fan (mid 80's), but my parents had an '84 rampage (loved that thing) 87 Omni (absolutely hated it) and then later I had a 91 Sundance (hated it) and then a 98 Stratus (loved it). I traded the Stratus with the least amount of miles (101k), but the others all had over 150k miles (over 230k in the case of the Omni) when we got rid of them, none of them ever had to have a major repair or even any warranty work performed on them. We did rebuild the engine of the Omni when it had over 200k miles, but it was just getting weak, it still ran fine. Other than the omni, the most major thing we had done was replacing the rotors or exhaust system. Occasionally I hear of people that have bad runs with a Mopar product, but like you said any car can have problems. Every other non-Mopar car that my family has owned (mostly GM, but a few others here and there) have all had problems.

From my perspective, Mopar cars are reliable, and as long as Daimler-Chrysler makes attractive looking, reliable cars, I'll consider any of them that fit my needs.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I agree, and as you know, becuase of my age, I haven't had much experience with cars, I cannot state my personal experiences, but I agree with everything you guys have said (almost) :D

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Welcome RiCEADDiCTBOY. Congrats on the Caliber purchas! Interesting words.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
nice mini-rant.. i agree with ya 100% though; i guess a lot of ppl complain about the power, because they're coming from using the SRT-4 as a daily driver.. [some anyways]. I liked the caliber when i drove it [sxt with everything but leather]... its one of those cars u cant tell is accellerating NEway; its not like it puts u back in ur seat like a stick; i was up at 60 before i even knew it.. but i didnt feel like i was goin that fast.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Hmmm, that posts looks familliar, lol:D:D

Yeah thanks for validating your opinions!! Looks like you are enjoying the SXT as well as your family!!:)

Welcome to caliberforums RiCEADDiCTBOY:):)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 70 Road Runner 440+6 if I want speed. My driver is a 98 Breeze 2.0 that is worn out. I work all over Ohio in all kinds of weather and wanted AWD. Ordered a no-option R/T AWD from my local dealer after some sharp shopping - $17,655 plus tax. The price was a grand or two cheaper than the alternative (Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix twins, Subarus). Delivery is 4-6 weeks from now. American cars in the 80s were pretty poor, but my 92 Spirit went 160k miles before I sold it in the original clutch. The Breeze was bought last summer for $1600 dollars and gets close to 30 mpg, runs great, giving it to my niece.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Haha...now I know what you guys are talking about, the post is familiar...:D:D

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I haven't been on the DF Caliber section in a while...smart ass...:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts