Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well just had my test drive and I loved it, So I have ordered it !

One Dodge Caliber 2.0 SE CRD Turbo Diesel Manual in Sunburst Orange :D will be delivered within 10 days ! yes 10 days wahooo!:eek:

My Summary of the Test Drive....

As soon as I sat in the drivers seat I thought " yes ! " so the first impression was a good one. When I started the engine I remarked on how quiet it was for a diesel and it ticked over smoothly without a murmur.

On the road it was very responsive and it had a lot of pulling power especially in 3rd gear, overtaking slower traffic was not a problem.

The car did not wallow or lurch upon pulling out to overtake but delivered a sharpish quick manoeuvre. The acceleration was more than adequate too for what is a relativley heavy car to power ratio.

The interior fittings are not cheap and nasty as I have read in online car reviews, in fact I was quite impressed with the overall look, the centre armrest lets it down however as its poor and shoddy, so I will need to cover it with a custom made foam and leather pad.

The ride height is great and the visibilty was also quite good, I like to sit high and the Caliber accomodated my 6' 3" height and 17 stone (230 lbs) with ease without me feeling cramped. This is due to the generous headroom.

The seats are comfortable and hugged me in well, and this is a big issue that I am glad I liked.

The gear lever is very easy to reach and the gear box is very posative, I would say its better than a Ford box and I have always loved Ford gearboxes so the Caliber wins again on this bigger issue.

The guages are nice and clear and I liked their style, also with the LED readouts which were very clear and used nice style fonts.

The colour is super with a great finish with no orange peel effect as seen on cars of this price and the Sunburst Orange suits this Car to a tee, hence the Sunbusrt Orange is for me.

I have ordered 17" Equinox Alloys at extra cost but had some over carpets thrown in as freebies along with an ashtray as I'm a smoker.

No discount was given at all but then after seeing that the Caliber was already great value I let it go and will pay the full asking price. But what a great value for money car I'm getting ! it looks and feels and drives like a more expensive car...I predict that they will sell very well.

The word is slowly going around the UK now and backlog orders are predicted in the next couple of months where the waiting list will go into months not days. So I have got in at the right time:)

My verdict on the car for value for money 10/10. I'm sold !

roll on 10 days roll on !

·
Registered
108 Posts
Excellent news, I'm glad you enjoyed your test drive and can't believe you've ordered already :eek:

10 days will fly by and you'll soon be out and about in your new Caliber :D

·
Registered
190 Posts
Nice, wish the Diesel were available here... I'd love to travel further without having to refuel. Good luck with it, post some pix when you get it. L8r.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I could add too that the test drive car had 1350 miles on the clock so this in effect has some "breakin" or "running in" millage on it. A new delivered car with say 11 miles on the clock would be a little stiff in the gearbox changes, the brakes pads would not have seated in to best grip and the engine will not perform.

Yes, StephenM_UK, I ordered straightway, no point in mulling it over anymore as I have been thinking about it for over a week as it is, So I made my desision then and there to buy. Besides I dont want to put it off and possibly have a longer wait.

Just a note on running in:
Its best to "run in" a brand new car and keep the revs low by getting into a higher gear quicker. High revs in an engine where the pistons have yet to seat properly can cause damage. Its something to do with the way the oil is sucked up underneath the piston on exhaust and power stroke from the sump under vacuum. What happens is that the oil needs to get into the micro grooves around the bore sleeve that are made as the engine "runs in"

So I will drive my new Calibre with gentleness for about the first 1000 miles. Generally though its only after about 15,000 miles that the engine will be "run in" properly to give its optimum performance. This is not just with the Caliber but with all cars.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Tinsu said:
Anyone know the estimated city/highway MPG for the diesel? Will it come to America?
yes, its 46.3 mpg on a combined city/highyway trip.

If I get into 6th gear early drive with a light foot I can expect about 55mpg on a run and 38mpg around the City.

As I say, it depends on how you drive in a manual, nice n easy acceleration and getting into higher gears quicker can add more mpg then manufacturers quotes.

Diesel engines have lots of torque for example put the car in 1st gear and lift up the clutch with NO gas pedal assistance and the car will pull away wheras a petrol engine would simply stall. Diesels are more efficient then gas and have a longer life span. They work on pure compression about 22:1 ( petrol engines are about 9:1) with no electrics at all to go wrong.

They cause les harm to the environment too, so they are a little greener.

Glad to hear you guys are enjoying your CVT's though all the same :)

Cant wait till I get my Caliber, yehaa !

·
Registered
160 Posts
xlr8 said:
yes, its 46.3 mpg on a combined city/highyway trip.

If I get into 6th gear early drive with a light foot I can expect about 55mpg on a run and 38mpg around the City.

As I say, it depends on how you drive in a manual, nice n easy acceleration and getting into higher gears quicker can add more mpg then manufacturers quotes.

Diesel engines have lots of torque for example put the car in 1st gear and lift up the clutch with NO gas pedal assistance and the car will pull away wheras a petrol engine would simply stall. Diesels are more efficient then gas and have a longer life span. They work on pure compression about 22:1 ( petrol engines are about 9:1) with no electrics at all to go wrong.

They cause les harm to the environment too, so they are a little greener.

Glad to hear you guys are enjoying your CVT's though all the same :)

Cant wait till I get my Caliber, yehaa !
Real life gas milage was reported to be around 26mpg :rolleyes:

http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1687

A rather horrible milage for a VW diesel in a car of this size, if you askme!? I

·
Registered
683 Posts
I wish they would allow more diesels in the USA. What is the issue that prevents them from being more widespread? Is it the particulates regulations that they can't pass? Diesels are not the bargain for fuel costs they once were. Diesel fuel is at or above the price for 97 octane gas here. They seem to be more durable for long life so all in all I'd love to have a CTD Caliber.

The Jeep Liberty is available with the CTD in the USA. Is this the same engine used in the Calibers?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
26mpg sure is poor for a 2.0 litre TDi !
I hope I get better mpg than that, I will post up about it when the time comes.

haha, you know I think that we are all beta testers and if I get 26 mpg then I will need to plug my Caliber into my PC and download a patch for it !:rolleyes:

·
Registered
13 Posts
xlr8 said:
26mpg sure is poor for a 2.0 litre TDi !
I hope I get better mpg than that, I will post up about it when the time comes.

haha, you know I think that we are all beta testers and if I get 26 mpg then I will need to plug my Caliber into my PC and download a patch for it !:rolleyes:
Enjoy your Caliber and keep us updated on the mpg. THanks.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Glad to see you enjoyed you test drive xlr8!:) Definately keep us posted on the mileage of the TDi.

Hope it arrives in the time given to you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts