Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Premium Member
5,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my car out for an open track day at Grattan Raceway over by Grand Rapids, MI. The track was wet, so I didn't get to push my car hard (which was probably a good thing). I still explored the envelope of the tires, suspension, and brakes.

It acts like a typical FWD vehicle. It understeers, and plows into the corners. Some spots on the track were pretty slippery, and the ESP kept me in line. I ran a few laps without the T/C on, and without it on the car greatly improved, and stability control would still kick in if necessary, but the tires were free to spin. It still never intervened even on wet payment when trying to apply the throttle.

In the straights, I would keep up with most of the other cars out there. I would actually gain on almost every Subaru out there, but in the corners they were kicking my ass. If it was dry out I might have kept up with them better.

I definitely had a lot of fun, more fun than drag racing, but I don't get as much of an adrenaline rush as I do on the strip.

My future in mother-in-law got a few videos that aren't that great because of the camera. Hopefully some other people out there got some pictures of my car.

The silver WRX with the blue wheels is my future brother-in-law. I got a ride in his car, and that thing really handles. He also has some extensive suspension and brake mods. We were pretty even on the straight away. Max speed I hit was 120 MPH, he would hit about 123 MPH, but he was also able to brake way later than I could.

· Premium Member
5,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

· Registered
5,578 Posts
You know, I wonder what the dealio is with these brakes.
They are overkill so in reality they should do a lot better.

As a former STI owner though I will vouch for how great they handle and stop.

I wish I had some time to measure stopping distances with everything turned off.
I think it can do way better than with ABS, but just a guess and this is in dry conditions.
But something tells me all I will be concentrating on is how quick I can go
with stage 1 lol.

· Premium Member
5,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You know, I wonder what the dealio is with these brakes.
They are overkill so in reality they should do a lot better.

As a former STI owner though I will vouch for how great they handle and stop.

I wish I had some time to measure stopping distances with everything turned off.
I think it can do way better than with ABS, but just a guess and this is in dry conditions.
But something tells me all I will be concentrating on is how quick I can go
with stage 1 lol.
The brakes were awesome. Brad's WRX (silver/blue wheels/bro in law) has his ABS disabled for the track, and also had race tires on.

The ABS still kicked in when necessary, but this car definitely did stop like a motha.

· Premium Member
5,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice vids! Damn that looks so fun!!!!!!
Those Lotus Elises are little SOBs arent they? hehe
You love them and hate them at the same time.
It's as addictive as meth. Much more fun than the drag strip, and you're not getting terrible wheel hop either.

That Elise was pretty badarse. There was one blue Miata, newer looking, that was blown or turbocharged, because that thing pulled away from me in the straights like you wouldn't believe.

The track was also a lot of fun. There are about 3 blind corners, and several elevation changes.

· Registered
5,578 Posts
It's as addictive as meth. Much more fun than the drag strip, and you're not getting terrible wheel hop either.

That Elise was pretty badarse. There was one blue Miata, newer looking, that was blown or turbocharged, because that thing pulled away from me in the straights like you wouldn't believe.

The track was also a lot of fun. There are about 3 blind corners, and several elevation changes.
Sure it wasn't an ls1 miata? I have a few friends driving those.
An ls1 swap would do it. Definitely watch out for those...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnmMg_fbnPk&feature=related

I know that retard.

· Premium Member
5,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

· Registered
445 Posts
I used to organize track days at Gingerman Raceway every year in South Haven Michigan, for a group of guys, it was great fun and pretty affordable as a group. We rented the track for an entire day and it was always a blast. I was always meaning to do it at Grattan one day but we never made it there. The guys who owned Gingerman made it so comfortable and easy for us we never moved to a different track. I love running on a closed circuit track, you actually learn a great deal about driving and handling limits and it makes you a better driver on the street because of it.

· Registered
1,560 Posts
uhmmm you shoulda told me you were going! ive been wanting to take the minivan out and play! i took my prelude out there last year! great track for beginners, unlike waterford hills.

· Registered
445 Posts
if anyone wants to hold a track day next summer for Calibers, SRT's, and other friendly racers from this forum at Gingerman Raceway in South Haven Michigan let me know. I know the manager pretty well and it wouldn't be too hard to do. If we could get about 30 guys together it would cost us less than $100 for an entire day of lapping. I'd have to check on current rental rates as I haven't done this for about 3 years now. Gingerman Raceway is a pretty friendly track, perfect for beginners, quite a few car mags have run testing articles at Gingerman. South Haven is a nice spot in the summer months too. www.gingermanraceway.com

· Registered
1,560 Posts
if anyone wants to hold a track day next summer for Calibers, SRT's, and other friendly racers from this forum at Gingerman Raceway in South Haven Michigan let me know. I know the manager pretty well and it wouldn't be too hard to do. If we could get about 30 guys together it would cost us less than $100 for an entire day of lapping. I'd have to check on current rental rates as I haven't done this for about 3 years now. Gingerman Raceway is a pretty friendly track, perfect for beginners, quite a few car mags have run testing articles at Gingerman. South Haven is a nice spot in the summer months too. www.gingermanraceway.com

oh forreal!

set it up now! the earlier you do it the more people will be informed and possibly the cheaper the track rental would be......

im down! start a thread and we can go from there

· Registered
270 Posts
I don't know if I would take this car to the track, not without some suspension mods for sure I think. Maybe the F1 tires would help but pushing a little on windy roads these things seem to just get soft and mushy feeling, doesn't really inspire a lot of confidence in me.

· Premium Member
3,705 Posts
looks like it was a good time man, im sure if the roads werent wet you would of had a little more confidence in the cars handling abilities...I also plan on doing a full day out at either nelson ledges or beavers run...1500 for a whole day!

· Premium Member
5,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't know if I would take this car to the track, not without some suspension mods for sure I think. Maybe the F1 tires would help but pushing a little on windy roads these things seem to just get soft and mushy feeling, doesn't really inspire a lot of confidence in me.
I was throwing it into corners pretty hard. Sure you feel a bit of body roll, but it tracked really well. It felt planted to me.

· Registered
270 Posts
Do you have the F1 tires? I think it really is the RS-A tires. I would really like to try some different tires with stiffer side walls, it just feels like the side wall kind of rolls over when you push a little. I don't think they would slide or anything but it just doesn't feel as good as I thought it would I guess. I probably wouldn't turn down a track day though... I wouldn't be able to resist! :banger:

· Premium Member
5,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do you have the F1 tires? I think it really is the RS-A tires. I would really like to try some different tires with stiffer side walls, it just feels like the side wall kind of rolls over when you push a little. I don't think they would slide or anything but it just doesn't feel as good as I thought it would I guess. I probably wouldn't turn down a track day though... I wouldn't be able to resist! :banger:
Yes, I have the F1 tires. Tires can make a big difference.

· Premium Member
5,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Still working on getting the full size pics...

Reactions: UN4GTBL
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.