Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all...thanks for reading this...(if you do).

I am thinking VERY seriously about a in-dash DVD, CD, mp3, blah blah blah 9er...blah machine.

Bottom line...I want to install it myself. I have almost fully decided on the Kenwood KVT-817DVD system. That said...if anyone out there has a word of caution...please let me know...and also...please let me know what I need to get aside from the deck itself...faceplate kit I know...but wiring...or anything else...let me know...k? Thanks.!

Here is a link the item in question:

Nevermind...I am too "noob" to post a link...

Ultimately I hope to get the Nav system also...but just the head unit for now.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Most places can include the wiring harness that will allow you NOT to splice into the factory system. Instead, you only connect the wires from the HU to the wire harness, and then the wire harness plugs into the stock wiring. If you order from Crutchfield, they give you that stuff for free. Well, atleast they did two years ago, last time I ordered from them.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Akaeding said:
Hey all...thanks for reading this...(if you do).

I am thinking VERY seriously about a in-dash DVD, CD, mp3, blah blah blah 9er...blah machine.

Bottom line...I want to install it myself. I have almost fully decided on the Kenwood KVT-817DVD system. That said...if anyone out there has a word of caution...please let me know...and also...please let me know what I need to get aside from the deck itself...faceplate kit I know...but wiring...or anything else...let me know...k? Thanks.!

Here is a link the item in question:

Nevermind...I am too "noob" to post a link...

Ultimately I hope to get the Nav system also...but just the head unit for now.
Have you checked out the Kenwood PNAV DDX-6019? If so, what are you thoughts on this particular head unit? I'm in the market for one too! Right now I've narrowed it down to the Kenwood DDX-6019 or the Pioneer AVIC-Z1. Pioneer website has great info on all its decks, but Kenwood doesn't. I particularly like the Kenwood due to the fact its nav system is by Garmin. From my research, the Pioneer AVIC-Z1 has a lot more awesome features than the Kenwood, but has a ****ty nav system when compared to the Garmin. What I need is more info on the Kenwood in order to make up my mind.

·
Registered
683 Posts
If you have UConnect or Steering wheel controls then you'll lose those features when going to an aftermarket stereo unless you want to do even more work and retrofitting. If you have factory Sirius you'll also have to replace the tuner with an aftermarket. If you have musicgate you'll have to bypass the factory amp.

If you do not have factory UConnect, Sirius or steering controls (musicgate) then theres little problems installing an aftermarket stereo. Wiring harness adapters can be bought at Walmart or most any car stereo shop. For a double din stereo you'll need to swap out the bezel. Contact United Radio as they sell the Nav radio double din bezels for the Caliber.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whoa whoa whoa..why would I need to replace the sirius reciever??? Everything I have read indicates that even now...the sirius reciever is a seperate unit in the car...and that the factory head unit is doing the same thing that my aftermarket would...displaying info and sending signals to the speakers. In fact I am almost positive of this...as I have seen another chrysler vehicle with a head unit nearly identical to mine that displays all the SIRIUS info on the digital display...whereas mine shows nothing but the channel number.

Can you clear this up Huff?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mahal3680 :

Sorry I got a little shell shocked when huff said I would need a new Sirius reciever there...Yes I have looked at all the kenwood stuff...and alot of the pioneer stuff..and between those 2 choices myself...I would still say kenwood. Mainly because the kenwood units all have a huge array of add ons available. I can use the nav system on ANY of the lcd units...as wwell as any of their other add-ons. N

Now the Garmin thing...there is one bottom line answer to that...while every GPS in the world doesn't say "garmin" on it...they are all using tech that at some point was liscensed from Garmin. So in actuality it doesn't make too much difference who your GPS reciever is made by...just the features that it offers. Keep that in mind.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Akaeding said:
Whoa whoa whoa..why would I need to replace the sirius reciever??? Everything I have read indicates that even now...the sirius reciever is a seperate unit in the car...and that the factory head unit is doing the same thing that my aftermarket would...displaying info and sending signals to the speakers. In fact I am almost positive of this...as I have seen another chrysler vehicle with a head unit nearly identical to mine that displays all the SIRIUS info on the digital display...whereas mine shows nothing but the channel number.

Can you clear this up Huff?
The factory Sirius tuner is designed to work with a Mopar Can-Bus stereo only. The digital information going to the stereo from the Sirius tuner is unique to a particular stereo. If you buy a Kenwood then you need a Sirius tuner made for a Kenwood data bus. If you buy an Alpine you need one for the Alpine AI-Net bus. There is no industry standard for Sat data.

This is also why it is a problem to change the stereo if you have UConnect or steering wheel controls. Both communicate with the stereo using Chryslers Can-Bus. It is very difficult to get an aftermarket stereo to talk on Can-Bus. There are a few 3rd party adapters such as those made from PAC electronics but none that I know of to connect a Chrysler Sirius tuner to an aftermarket head unit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok...now this goes back to what the guy in my local shop was talking about. HE DID say something about a $149 cable that I would have to get, so that the new deck would "talk" to the car...now I know what he meant. Thanks for pointing it out though...I guess I will have to come up with that cash too. Oh well. Once it is in I will be sure to let everyone know how the install went. And whether or not the CANBUS is as tricky as I hope it isn't!:D

·
Registered
187 Posts
Huff, as long as we're mentioning steering wheel controls, can you enlighten me as to the practicality of upgrading to such controls? I have the 6-CD radio, U-Connect, Sirius, but no MusicGate. You mentioned CAN-buss communication. Will it be possible/practical to buy the steering wheel hardware with the controls embedded and connect those controls to the buss? I'm fine with paying the dealer to install if the parts can be had and the work is practical for after-the-fact installation.

·
Registered
683 Posts
donsmith, I know people who have done this on newer Durango's. They purchased the switches and cut out the back of the steering wheel cover to mount them. Looked good as factory. I don't know if the wire harness is in the column for the steering wheel controls. I would assume it is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts