Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, I scanned the forums, but I didn't find what I needed. I brought my car to the dealership for the F29 recall and I also decided to ask them about the exhaust pinging.

I live in a really small town, so theres only about 5 or 10 calibers in the area. Only two people have reported the exhaust pinging. (Including me)

So there is no TSB, nor do they have the reason to try and get one with only 2 people reporting the problem. My dealership isn't doing anything wrong, they are good. I told the manager about the website and they said if I could get a scan of someones report who had it fixed with it stating the problem, parts ordered, and the repair, then they could fix mine.

I know people have had this fixed, so I was wondering if I could get a scan or a fax or an email or something with the dealership paperwork stating how it got fixed.

Thank you guys so much!!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Re: Need help from somoene who had the pinging fixed

This is what I found and gave to the Dealer. This is an Engineering memo.

From Engineering:

"Customer complains of severe pop, click or ping noise from exhaust during cooldown. Noise is above normal cooldown ticking noises heard on other exhaust systems. Source of the noise is the slip joint at the resonator outlet. The cause is the joint building too tight at the supplier and not allowing the internal resonator tube to slide within the joint. A design change was made to relieve this tight fit. This will reduce the cooldown ticking noise from the exhaust to a normal level.
The muffler/resonator assembly should be replaced if a customer complains of this condition. "

Clean point in production is 5/1/2006.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

That might work, but it would be so much easier if I had a full blown service report from the dealership; that would work wonders. Thank you for that memo, I will bring that in to the dealership. If anyone has a service report please help a brotha out.

·
Registered
87 Posts

I dropped my caliber off this morning for the recall and exhaust click. so time will tell. im supposed to get a call by the end of the day. the service guy told me its normal, but i know its not. so we'll see!

·
Registered
683 Posts

I'll scan my dealer ticket tomorrow and post it. I believe it shows the part #'s of what was replaced. It's completly quiet now. No more ping ping PING noise.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Awesome, thanks Huff! I owe ya one.

·
Registered
22 Posts

I took exactly what steveb posted to my dealer in Dallas and they replaced the entire exhaust system 2000 miles ago. No pinging/clicking since. Had the recall work done yesterday and asked about the engine pinging and leaky rear washer issues which I also have. Nothing from DCX officially yet on those two issues.

·
Registered
226 Posts

I went to the dealer today for my recall and exhaust tick. they didn't fix the tick, told me that there was 17 pages of TSB's and they didn't find anything referring to an exhaust problem.

I'm pretty ticked off about it.... no pun intended.

·
Registered
901 Posts

17 pages of TSB's????
:eek: :eek:

·
Registered
683 Posts

Here is my dealers ticket. My dealer called Chrysler and found that there was no TSB but they could replace the muffler under warranty to solve the problem. Some dealers are more willing to find solutions than others.

·
Registered
226 Posts

I know. I have a feeling that he was exagerating... so I said I should probably set some appointments for them to be fixing my car! He just stood there and looked at me. lol

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Thanks for all the help, maybe a Moderator should sticky this for other people having the same problem I was having.

·
Registered
259 Posts

I took mine in and aksed to call the DCX they had no problem getting approval to replace it. This parts should be in this week :)

·
Registered
60 Posts

I just wanted to tell everyone i am very happy with my dealer...

i called him up and told him about the muffler problem and the leaky rear washer fluid and he is ordering in the parts ASAP.

i was surprised he didn't even want to see the car, he just ordered the necessary parts.

hopefully everything works out when the parts come in.

·
Registered
66 Posts

HEy I took mine intoday and all they ordered for the noise is a resonator I hope this fixes it

·
Banned
400 Posts

MikeyJCaliber said:
HEy I took mine intoday and all they ordered for the noise is a resonator I hope this fixes it
it won't, my dealer did the same thing (month ago). Same thing, PING... Ping... ping.:(

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

At least your dealership is still doing stuff. Mine has been giving me the run around for the past month. Now my car is pulling to the right, and I hope the frame is twisted. They can buy this pain in the ass back.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts