Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i've searched the forum, but didn't find what i was looking for.
i bought an ipod connect kit and i need to plug it to the back of my factory radio, anyone has tips or done this before?
basically: how do i pull the radio out?
thanks a lot for your help. :)

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
First things first, you will need these tools:
7mm socket,
7mm box end wrench,
Medium Philips screwdriver,
Trim removal tool or fat standard screwdriver that doesn't have rough edges (the cheap ones usually work the best for this)
Old credit card that you don't use anymore

1) Unhook the positive battery terminal and let it sit for 15 minutes before you continue. I cannot stress this enough. You will be working around the airbag and the CAN bus and they probably wouldn't like a spike of 12 volts if you short it out somehow. Be safe and follow this one. This would be like stiking a screwdriver into an electrical outlet, The results are that bad as far as the car is concerned. Just getting this point across now.
2) Remove the shift collar by lightly prying down on it with the old credit card. Once the collar is loose, pull up on the shift knob. It will be snug but just give it a good yank and it will come right off.
3) Slide the trim removal tool under the lower right corner of the shift lever bezel and pry up the corner slowly working your way to the top. Once that side is out, do that same thing on the other side.
4) Turn the vent knob to defrost and the temp knob to cool. This will keep you from breaking the climate control cables.
5) Slide the trim removal tool under the right lower corner of the radio/climate control bezel and rock slowly back and forth until you pop the first latch loose. Do the same on the left side and continue to do this for each latch moving from side to side to until you get to the top where you will pull slightly from the bottom of the bezel up to release the last latches on top of the vents.
6) Remove the 4 screws on the back side of the climate control with the box end wrench. Don't pull it out too far or you risk damaging the cable system for the climate control.
7) Remove the connector from the hazard flasher controller.
8) Remove the 4 screws that hold the hazard flasher controller in place. You will need this later when you install the new bezel.
9) Remove the 4 screws that hold the radio in place.
10) Carefully pull out the radio and remove the wire harness. Do NOT pull on the actual wires! After you can see the back of the radio, pull on the black collar that holds the antenna connector. It is in there very tight so take your time so you don't wreck the connector or you are SOL. They don’t' have a replacement end yet!

This was taken from a previous post that for some reason i cannot find. If you recognize it as your own please claim credit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
thats pretty much how you do it.

just be careful around those climate controls, there a complete pain to work with. bad design choice imo

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys,
i'll be looking into that in the morning (it's 10pm here in france...)
i'll let you know how thing go.
l8ter

·
Registered
51 Posts
I found that once you getthe shifter bezel off (Mine is incredibly easy because Ihave a5-speed, I can just remove the rubber shift boot and pull :) )
you can take the radion bezel off by HAND, by pulling from the bottom to remove the lower clips, slipping a hand behind the bezel and pushing out fo the middle, and the pulling from te middle for the two in the radio. Jus my 2 cents, I would hate to see you scratch up you console using a tool of some sort.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
You can totaly skip step 8, unless you are replacing the whole bezel trim. And still not sure how a credit card is supposed to help remove the shifter knob. Mine just pulls right off. Unles this is a 5-speed shifter thing.

·
Registered
683 Posts
The shift lever is two pieces. I used the credit card to seperate the two halves and then pull up on the upper knob itself to remove. Possibly seperating the two pieces is not needed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thought I would add to this thread that was so helpful for me. Manual trans the shifter knob pulls right off, you don't need to separate the halfs. Also attached is a pic of the backk of the bezel, this way you know where the clips are.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I actually found it alot easier to just grab the bezel at the top and carefully pull it.The top wont seperate from the dash completely due to some plastic tabs that go under a lip in the dash. Once the clips are released though it gives more room for your fingers to work your way down and pop out the middle clips and eventually the bottoms. Just remember that when putting the bezel back on those tabs at the top will need to hook back under the dash. I just popped the bottom back on and using a small screwdriver and some cloth to protect the bezel i pulled the dash up over the clips.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
B74ubba said:
Thought I would add to this thread that was so helpful for me. Manual trans the shifter knob pulls right off, you don't need to separate the halfs. Also attached is a pic of the backk of the bezel, this way you know where the clips are.
You don't need to separate the auto shifter knob either. Not sure why people do that. It's an extra un-needed step that just gives you extra parts to lose as well. Just grab the knob and pull it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Fingernipp said:
I actually found it alot easier to just grab the bezel at the top and carefully pull it.The top wont seperate from the dash completely due to some plastic tabs that go under a lip in the dash. Once the clips are released though it gives more room for your fingers to work your way down and pop out the middle clips and eventually the bottoms. Just remember that when putting the bezel back on those tabs at the top will need to hook back under the dash. I just popped the bottom back on and using a small screwdriver and some cloth to protect the bezel i pulled the dash up over the clips.
yeah I did mine the day after I got the car. Was so careful pulling off the bezel and used a cloth so I wouldn't scratch it. Then after it was off put it on my workbench. While working it got scratched there.... all well so much for careful

1 - 12 of 12 Posts