Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone here drives some serious mileage daily (at least 150 miles) and how the Caliber is holding up. I will be replacing the POC Focus I currently have soon and the Caliber is what I am leaning towards. However, past bad experiences with Dodge leave me worried about quality and the car won't stand up to the mileage that is driven.

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
BlueP said:
I'm wondering if anyone here drives some serious mileage daily (at least 150 miles) and how the Caliber is holding up. I will be replacing the POC Focus I currently have soon and the Caliber is what I am leaning towards. However, past bad experiences with Dodge leave me worried about quality and the car won't stand up to the mileage that is driven.

Thanks. :)
What was your past experience with Dodge? Just wondering since I've owned Dodge since '99 with no problems.

·
Registered
340 Posts
As stated in previous reply "What were your other Dodges".

I have owned only MOPAR for over 20 years. Would like to know your issues. I realize everyone has issues with EVERY manufacturer. Curious.

Remember all manufacturers want the vehicle to only last "so long" so you will buy another one!!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
i just broke 9k yesterday since may 12th.... no major issues yet... we have owned Mopar since 1981... no major problems yet... still have our 81 dodge ram 250 custom....

·
Registered
129 Posts
3300 miles since July, and everything is GREAT.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OrangeRT said:
As stated in previous reply "What were your other Dodges".

I have owned only MOPAR for over 20 years. Would like to know your issues. I realize everyone has issues with EVERY manufacturer. Curious.

Remember all manufacturers want the vehicle to only last "so long" so you will buy another one!!!
Two Neons and a Caravan. The Caravan had tranny problems from the begining. While the dealership worked with me on resolving the issues, they wouldn't replace it and it kept slipping. I think I was more annoyed about repeated trips to the service shop when just changing the tranny fixed the problem. (Sold it to my Grandfather who replaced the tranny and sold it to his neighbor.) The Neons were 2000 and 2002. The 2000 had engine problems, burned oil and the AC needed to be recharged every 6 months (I still say that is not normal). It was totaled in an accident. The 2002 had engine problems as well. Loss of oil pressure, windshield wipers not working. Also the trunk wouldn't stay latched. If I hit a bump in the road, it would pop open. I didn't work at this job and drove only to a normal job and the usual out and about errands. It just left me feeling not to good about Dodge quality.

The Caliber has the mpg I need to get, the cargo space that I need and it looks good but past experinces have left me a bit nervous. My DH is a truck guy and would like to get a truck but the mpg that I would get in a truck doesn't fit in my budget. While the Caliber SXT does.

Thank you for the responses so far. :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi BlueP, I'm from The Great State of Texas also. I live in San Antonio but work in Austin. So I drive about 160 miles round trip every day. My previous car was a 2002 Neon which never gave me any problems. So far I have about 5000 miles on my Caliber without any problems what so ever. As far as comfort goes it's pretty decent. But I don't think I would enjoy it much if I had to drive any further than I do now every day. I aggree with roadsterchinsk, I should be driving something much more comfortable (Passat, Audi, BMW or Mercedes) with the kinda miles I'm putting in. But getting ready to to send twins to a private college forces me other wise. But the Caliber is reasonably comfortable. And I can maintain a decent highway speed (about 95 mph). My only complaints would be the arm rest hurts my elbow after awhile and it's kinda ackwards getting in and out. I keep scuffing my boots on the plastic trim next to the door sill. For the money the Caliber is an excellant long distance commuter. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm at about 8,200 miles since the end of June, about 3,000 miles per month, and I'm coming into my busy season where I'll be driving much, much more. I have the AWD R/T with 18" wheels, so the ride may not be the same as other Calibers. Proper tire inflation is important for ride comfort. My heated leather seats have the lumbar support, very nice. I'm 6'2.5" and a bit under 200 lbs. No mechanical issues to report so far, and I'm enjoying the ride every time I get behind the wheel. If only I could keep a lighter pedal, I'd save even more on fuel and not risk tickets... but this car is so much fun!! I'm getting about 27MPG and riding it hard.

·
Registered
644 Posts
im and 6k, and running smoothly... this is one of 3 Dodges i own... and a 4th car thats not a dodge but has a dodge motor... 88 ram 50 (110k miles) , 2004 Quad cab HEMI sport (30k miles), and my cali.... if you wanna get technical my eclipse has a chrysler/dodge motor in it... its the same motors that are in the 1g neons... and damage done to that car is my own fault...lol

·
Registered
41 Posts
I put at the very least 85 miles a day on my cali. I will reach 5k by the middle of next week and so far things are running great.:)

·
Registered
371 Posts
Over 6k on mine, and it's better now than when it was fresh off the lot! I even look forward to the days when I have to drive long distances to get to a job site. I still can't figure out why this thing is so much fun, after all, it was just supposed to be my work vehicle.:p :D :D

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Just made a 700 mile trip in my Cali and was comfrotable the whole way. One of the most comfortable cars I've driven for long distance commutes. You just need to find that right adjustment for the seat that you like. Everybody is different. Unless you are constantly putting pressure on the arm rest with your arm, like more than just your arm relaxing, it should be fine. I have no problems with the arm rest hurting my arm and I use it constantly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Had my AWD R/T since June, and absolutely love it. When I bought it, I was 8 days into a month long temporary job that required me to drive all day every day, and only stop for gas and to hit the head. I spent the next 3 weeks in my car for 9+ hours every day, longest was near 15 hours. No complaints then, and still none now. Now I drive 100 miles round trip to college every day, and am due for a second oil change, since I'm near 6600 miles.

The ride is incredibly smooth, and the sound system is outstanding. Well, it was. I did a bonehead move and had the stereo up at 30+ for about 7 hours straight last weekend, so now I think I've cracked a speaker or two. The sound system is great and you can have it at max without any problems, as long as you do it in moderation, not a long stretch like I did.

Gas milage, I get pathetic gas milage (24-25mpg highway) because of my break-in period (first 2000 miles) was spent driving an average of 20 mph for that job. I hear that if you break it in the way you intend to drive it you'll get awesome gas milage.

If you really care about gas milage, I hear that if you treat the car right, and break it in the way you intend to drive it, you'll do better and get 27+. If you really care about comfort, look no further. As I said before, I spent 9+ hours a day for 3 weeks in my car when I bought it, and I had no complaints then, and I still don't now.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
BlueP said:
Two Neons and a Caravan. The Caravan had tranny problems from the begining. While the dealership worked with me on resolving the issues, they wouldn't replace it and it kept slipping. I think I was more annoyed about repeated trips to the service shop when just changing the tranny fixed the problem. (Sold it to my Grandfather who replaced the tranny and sold it to his neighbor.) The Neons were 2000 and 2002. The 2000 had engine problems, burned oil and the AC needed to be recharged every 6 months (I still say that is not normal). It was totaled in an accident. The 2002 had engine problems as well. Loss of oil pressure, windshield wipers not working. Also the trunk wouldn't stay latched. If I hit a bump in the road, it would pop open. I didn't work at this job and drove only to a normal job and the usual out and about errands. It just left me feeling not to good about Dodge quality.

The Caliber has the mpg I need to get, the cargo space that I need and it looks good but past experinces have left me a bit nervous. My DH is a truck guy and would like to get a truck but the mpg that I would get in a truck doesn't fit in my budget. While the Caliber SXT does.

Thank you for the responses so far. :)
Sounds like you had both bad luck with the vehicles, and a shyty dealer. All the problems youhad should have been easily fixed by a competent dealer. Sometimes it's hard to find a good dealer for service, but there are some out there. And no manufacturer is exempt from shyty dealers or bad apples from the factory.

·
Registered
506 Posts
i made a 1200 mile each way trip to italy and back pluss put about 500 miles on it while in italy... car drove 12 hours straight with not even a huccup... then drove back 13 hours without a hickup... i love the thing... i think it's comfy and fun and cool looking and well reliable enough cuz it gets me where i need to go so far...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts