Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Just got my 07 sxt cali 2 weeks ago. Love it except for this stupid powe door lock issue im having. I have the lock fuse pulled right now. But when fuse is in i can lock car using inside switch and all is good. I walk away from car and then car is trying to unlock and lock doors over and over every ten seconds. It doesnt fully unlock just slightly. I replaced battery in key fob and the remote doesnt work at all to unlock/lock car. I only have one key. Since its all door doing this i am starting to think it may be master switch on drivers door. Have lock fuse out because it was killing the battery in car because it does it constantly. And even with doors open itll lock door randomly. Any help would be great. Really annoying having to do it old school and unlock/lock door manually. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
Years ago, I dealt with this lock problem with my Son's 2007 Caliber. In this case it was drawing current and causing the battery to go dead. There was quite a thread we had going on that. One owner and his dealer just GAVE UP! and he turned the car back in for a refund!

We solved it same way, pulled the fuse. But it wasn't as disappointing, as we had installed a remote start module, which had its own remote lock function. That may be the answer for you, but installing the remote start is very tricky, as they don't have separate wires for "ACC", "IGN", & "Start", like a normal ignition switch, it is all done over one wire with different voltage levels put on it.

I posted all of that on this forum somewhere...

-Dave

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Years ago, I dealt with this lock problem with my Son's 2007 Caliber. In this case it was drawing current and causing the battery to go dead. There was quite a thread we had going on that. One owner and his dealer just GAVE UP! and he turned the car back in for a refund!

We solved it same way, pulled the fuse. But it wasn't as disappointing, as we had installed a remote start module, which had its own remote lock function. That may be the answer for you, but installing the remote start is very tricky, as they don't have separate wires for "ACC", "IGN", & "Start", like a normal ignition switch, it is all done over one wire with different voltage levels put on it.

I posted all of that on this forum somewhere...

-Dave

Well funny u mentioned remote start did a little digging under dash and found this

From running numbers its a gps tracking thing. But its only got a power and ground hooked up. All other wires r not connected. I was thinking about snipping it off and seeing if its fixed. Its getting power from a red w/ green strip wire going to main plug under steering colum. Here is pic of wire too. You think might be on to something?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Wow! Wonder who wants to track you? Sounds like it is powered by the ignition switch, which would transmit tracking info whenever you moved the car. Kinda scary! You say you only have one key, I wonder if the person who gets this tracking info has the other key?

You might move this to someone else's car, and see if they get suspicious people hanging around. You might wrap it in foil so it can't communicate, or you might just snip it out.

It can't operate your locks, unless the signal it is giving off interferes with them, wrapping it in foil will answer that.

What an intriguing mystery, everybody on this thread will want to know more!

-Dave

·
Registered
78 Posts
Wow! Wonder who wants to track you? Sounds like it is powered by the ignition switch, which would transmit tracking info whenever you moved the car. Kinda scary! You say you only have one key, I wonder if the person who gets this tracking info has the other key?

You might move this to someone else's car, and see if they get suspicious people hanging around. You might wrap it in foil so it can't communicate, or you might just snip it out.

It can't operate your locks, unless the signal it is giving off interferes with them, wrapping it in foil will answer that.

What an intriguing mystery, everybody on this thread will want to know more!

-Dave

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was accutally thinking it may be wired in wrong and getting signal from locks. Idk y my locks are acting up and this is the only thing ive seen not factory on this car. Its very interesting but i need to figure out this lock issue but im going to cut that box out regardless. Im thinking maybe it was a leased car at one point. They like to keep track of there cars if someone misses a payment. Im really not sure. I was also kinda thinking maybe its some-sort of alarm or remote start because im really not sure exactly. From few number i ran it came back as a gps but still idk

·
Registered
78 Posts
If it is a GPS it gets radio signal from specific Satellites only. If it has tracking ability, then is also sends signals to (probably) cell phone towers.
It can't get a signal from the car's locks, as they don't send signals, except in the case of the fancy "2-way" systems used for add-on remote starters, which the standard MoPar system is not.

The standard system was a problem with many owners, as I said already, I am surprised the system still exists after all these years, it must have driven the previous owner mad!

Click my name and click "find other posts" as most of my posts on the Caliber forum would be of interest to you, as they pertain to the wiring involved here.

I miss my Son's Caliber as I fixed up the whole undercarriage, all new moving parts in the suspension, plus a new front cross member the dealer installed on a recall. He said it drove like it was brand new, then a deer jumped out in front of him, wasted the deer, $3000 worth of parts, and 2 weeks work in my driveway. We have let the deer population overrun Michigan.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well pulled box out and no ill effects. I also replaced power lock fuse with new one. Old one i kept tryin to put in looked in tact but thought i saw a partial crack in it so i replaced it. So far power locks havent had issue again. Waiting more time to c for sure

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Been 2 full days and powerlocks have not done it any more. Will report back final time at end of week with if for sure its fixed. Thanks again for all the help. Did not expect that box to be the problem but it seems it was either that or the fuse. Thats all i did was cut box out and replace fuse with new one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well this morning walking my dogs i noticed it started again. It was fine for almost 3 full days but it rained last night and now this morning its doing it again. Ugh really frustrated

·
Registered
78 Posts
I did have an intermittent fuse once, and it could apply here. Mine was a fuse that was small, like 1 Amp, but feeding a load that was way small like 1mA, so it wouldn't get enough current to blow. "Normal" applications would just blow the intermittent fuse. This was an industrial application, and the fuse was required for safety, so rather than change the design, I added a small pilot light, and it was no problem anymore.

·
Registered
78 Posts
SXTJustin,

If you pull the keyless entry fuse, and want to install your own keyless entry, I can guide you through the connections, as my Son and I had great success with his 2007 Caliber, no problem for years. I believe I still have the schematics and the marked up shop manual.

-Dave

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well it seems i might have fixed it. I replaced key fob battery and it works now And replaced master switch on drivers door. If it does do it its not as frequent so I’m not gonna worry bout it. Also found before i replaced master switch if i locked using key fob and all without using lock button it wouldn’t do it. So i think switch was shorting out

·
Registered
78 Posts
I thought you caught it locking and unlocking. The door switch should have two circuits, "lock", and "unlock", it would be rare for both circuits to be intermittently shorting out. However, you said it started messing up after it rained, could the switch be getting wet? That would affect both circuits...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I thought you caught it locking and unlocking. The door switch should have two circuits, "lock", and "unlock", it would be rare for both circuits to be intermittently shorting out. However, you said it started messing up after it rained, could the switch be getting wet? That would affect both circuits...

It wasnt fully locking and unlocking just partially. And the switch did get wet at some point since ive owned it becausd i had left window cracked but it was doing it before then too. I havent seen or heard it do it since ive been using key fob to lock and unlock doors and since replacing switch. And if it is its def not as frequent. Im done worrying over it until it starts draining the battery more. But as far as i can tell it doesnt do it anymore since doing those 2 things

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
The only other thing i did besides those 2 things is took key fob apart and cleaned it and bent some of the contacts a little and hasnt been an issues since replacing switch and only using key fob to lock and unlock doors

Ill tell you this im 29 and have had about 29 cars and 90% of them havent had power locks or windows so i miss the days of that. But my wife loves the little things like that. I sold my 07 corolla manual trans because she couldnt drive if she needed to so got an this caliber in auto so if she needed to she could drive it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have had much trouble with power windows. But the power locks should be no reason to have trouble. They are not performing any difficult mechanical acts, and the RF links should be problem free by now.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts