Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my SXT 2.0 in yesterday to leave it with the dealership so they could figure out why my engine was "rattling". It's nothing major but it does sound like the engine has 150K miles on it.

We rode around and come to find out, the mechanic said that it is a spark knock and should go away as the engine breaks in by 6000 miles. I am at 2000 now so I guess we will see.

Does anyone else have engine noise like this? He described it perfectly, it sounds like a spark knock. It's not really loud but you can certainly hear it and you can only really hear it when you give it some gas....say around 3000RPM's.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
ghoticov said:
...the mechanic said that it is a spark knock and should go away as the engine breaks in by 6000 miles...
I'm no mechanic but that sounds very odd... and at 6000 miles it's supposed to go away:confused: My Caliber doesn't do that and I never had a car that has done that... or what they say, "spark knock" (just what is that anyways???).

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GOT said:
I'm no mechanic but that sounds very odd... and at 6000 miles it's supposed to go away:confused: My Caliber doesn't do that and I never had a car that has done that... or what they say, "spark knock" (just what is that anyways???).
Its an engine rattle of some sort, its hard to explain. I thought it was the valves rattling or something but he said it was a spark knock, which makes sense because I had the same thing happen to my 2002 Dodge Ram when it reached about 100K miles.

But this is a new engine, I have never had that happen before. He said it is a new engine and they cannot even touch it without have someone from Chrysler there to inspect the issue. He said if it doesn't go away once the engine breaks in, we will pursue it. I have a feeling this is going to be one of the lingering issues....

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've only got around 800 miles or so on mine, but so far no noises at all like that.

Keep us updated on it though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2001 neon R/T with the same problem.... and have had it since i got the car 3 years ago. still havent figured out WTF it is yet. Its not throwing codes, I've replaced everything spark related. and its still there..

·
Registered
155 Posts
ghoticov said:
I took my SXT 2.0 in yesterday to leave it with the dealership so they could figure out why my engine was "rattling". It's nothing major but it does sound like the engine has 150K miles on it.

We rode around and come to find out, the mechanic said that it is a spark knock and should go away as the engine breaks in by 6000 miles. I am at 2000 now so I guess we will see.

Does anyone else have engine noise like this? He described it perfectly, it sounds like a spark knock. It's not really loud but you can certainly hear it and you can only really hear it when you give it some gas....say around 3000RPM's.
Try some higher octane gas, if the rattle goes away its timing is a little advanced, I don't understand why they didn't put a timing light on it. As well, maybe the knock sensor is faulty and not retarding the timing, when a knock is sensed........at any rate try some better gas.......:eek:

·
Registered
245 Posts
pacerman said:
Try some higher octane gas, if the rattle goes away its timing is a little advanced, I don't understand why they didn't put a timing light on it. As well, maybe the knock sensor is faulty and not retarding the timing, when a knock is sensed........at any rate try some better gas.......:eek:
I have the same recommendation, perhaps not a better grade of gas but rather a better brand. Many of the "cheaper" stations mix additional additives that some engines have problems with.

Personally, I switched from Pioneer to Sunoco awhile back and my engine has quieted down and fuel economy has improved considerably.

Dan

·
Registered
8 Posts
I actually have the same problem with my SXT 2.0. Took it back to Dodge to get it checked and the mechanic couldn't hear it while it crystal clear to myself and my husband. He basically told us if we hear it get louder to bring it back in once their mechanics are better versed on the car. Going to try the change in gas to see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Well, according to the owners manual, we should only be using 87 octane in it so I am following that. I am afraid to put higher octane in just to "mask" the issue. There is something going on for sure...

That being said, the dealership called me today and said he spoke with a Chris Charleston, who is the Atlanta Training Center Manager. Chris told him that this is the second "issue" that he has heard about with the Caliber and the engine noise. He said Chrysler is aware of the issue and they are working on a way to fix it. The dealership said if I didn't hear from him in about 3 weeks, to call him back and hopefully they will have a fix.

He said the car is safe to drive but there is certainly an issue and they are working on it.

·
Registered
343 Posts
my neon had a knock...sounded like the engine was bad...changed the oil, and it went and stayed away

·
Registered
343 Posts
changed TYPE of oil...went from synth to regular oil

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Amandyke said:
Auto Repair SPARK KNOCK

Definition: This is the pinging or rattling noise sometimes heard during acceleration that indicates detonation is occurring inside the engine (See Detonation).

• DetonationSpark knock can be caused by a variety of things including using low octane fuel, over-advanced ignition timing, too much compression (often due to a buildup of carbon in the combustion chamber), by an inoperative EGR valve, and/or by too much heat. If switching to a higher octane fuel doesn't cure the problem, the cause should be investigated because prolonged or heavy knocking can damage the engine.
From the above quote I wouldn't be waiting for 6000 miles to roll around... the motor could be damaged by then.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Right now, the Oil industry is adapting to new rules that prohibit blending MTBE to gasoline. There is a shortage of its alternative, ethanol, which must be blended at the point of final use.

It is possible that you are getting a lower octane than you think if the oil company screwed up the transition.

If I were you, I'd buy a tank of a Major Brand Premium. There is no downside except for cost, and I would not want to drive a car that is knocking excessively. Major damage will occur.

·
Registered
245 Posts
superbang said:
what do you drive dan?
It’s nothing fancy but it gets the job done, I bought it way back in my college years when money was tight. It’s been a good car.

It's a 91 Hyundai Sonata, the only additional option was the 3.0L V6, from what I can tell it’s absolutely bullet proof. (Same V6 used in the 90's Grand Caravans).

5 years ago, it cost me $1,200 CDN with 112,000km on the OD. It now has 263,000km and it still runs very nicely. Total repair & maintenance costs over those 5 years have been less then $3,000 but I do my own light maintenance and take pretty good care of it. Having a new car would be awesome but I can’t justify spending that sort of money, especially considering my commute is now 0.6km. Its really nice only needing gas once a month.

Once summer rolls around, it’s an 8-10min walk.

Dan

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Vision67 said:
Right now, the Oil industry is adapting to new rules that prohibit blending MTBE to gasoline. There is a shortage of its alternative, ethanol, which must be blended at the point of final use.

It is possible that you are getting a lower octane than you think if the oil company screwed up the transition.

If I were you, I'd buy a tank of a Major Brand Premium. There is no downside except for cost, and I would not want to drive a car that is knocking excessively. Major damage will occur.
Is QT a major brand?

I am seriously thinking of putting a tank of high octane in from a major brand. The book recommends 87 but I don't want to damage my engine and the premium can't hurt, can it?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I've been running premium for the last couple of tanks to see if I can increase mpg. I sure hope it doesn't ruin the engine... can't imagine it doing so or there would be warnings in the owners-manual and at the pump... maybe there are and I just haven't notice:eek:

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
GOT said:
I've been running premium for the last couple of tanks to see if I can increase mpg. I sure hope it doesn't ruin the engine... can't imagine it doing so or there would be warnings in the owners-manual and at the pump... maybe there are and I just haven't notice:eek:
I though I read somewhere that if a NEWER car calls for 87 Octane that putting anything higher is just waisting your money. Doesn't it have something to do with the engine is mixing the air fuel by computer and if it reads higher/ lower it will override it anyway?? Maybe I am smoking something, but thats what I thought anyway.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts