Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried using 100% Nitrogen in their tires? It is suppose to keep better stable inflation pressures, increase mileage, and life of tires.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i use compressed nitrogen for the air ride suspension on my dakota and have actually used it to air up tires around the house after my pos craftsman compressor died but havent ever noticed a difference in mileage

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Nitrogen wont leak down as fast as plane ole air and is non corrosive being pure inert gas. It is also heavier gas by quite alot as you may know about nitrogen suffication as it displaces air by sinking to the floor and forcing lighter gases upwards. The fact that it costs something for a fill and gives a harder slightly heavier tire turn me off to the idea.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nitrogen has a density of 1.25g/l. Air is slightly heavier with a density of 1.28g/l. I have not notice any better mileage with my first tank.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dakota_vc said:
i use compressed nitrogen for the air ride suspension on my dakota and have actually used it to air up tires around the house after my pos craftsman compressor died but havent ever noticed a difference in mileage
Beautiful Caliber!

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Calibreath said:
Nitrogen has a density of 1.25g/l. Air is slightly heavier with a density of 1.28g/l. I have not notice any better mileage with my first tank.
Is that oxygen or actual atmosphere? Nitrogen always sinks in real world situations.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Here's the real scoop:
1) Air & Nitrogen are very close in density (compared to air @ sea level)
2) Just using nitrogen does not result in better mileage. It's the fact that nitrogen does not change pressure as much as air when the temperature changes.
3) Wheel weight is negligible whether filled with air or nitrogen
4) There is nothing to do with leaks....if there's a leak, air or nitrogen will both leak out
5) For the same pressure, air & nitrogen create the same tire "hardness". In other words, a tire with air @ 35 PSI = tire with nitrogen @ 35 PSI.

Ultimately, it comes down to the use of nitrogen creates a more stable tire pressure & a more constant fuel mileage. So if you were to fill 2 tires to 35P PSI at 70F, one nitrogen, one air.....when the temp drops to 20F, the nitrogen tire will be much closer to 35 PSI than the tire with air.

J

·
Registered
683 Posts
Nitrogen itself won't increase mpg. However, most people do not check their tire PSI often enough as the weather and seasons change. Nitrogen won't change PSI with temperature as much as air. So it can improve mpg but more likely it will reduce tire wear.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fingernipp said:
Is that oxygen or actual atmosphere? Nitrogen always sinks in real world situations.
Air is approximately 79% nitrogen and 21% oxygen. 100% oxygen has a density of 1.43g/l.

Helium has a density of .18g/l, which is much lighter, I wonder if this been tried in tires by anyone?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
By leak down i dont mean actual leak. As we know rubber is actually semi porus and gas will slowly seep through.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Fingernipp said:
Helium has a density of .18g/l, which is much lighter, I wonder if this been tried in tires by anyone?
Tried Helium once but it made my engine sound funny.:D

·
Registered
447 Posts
Huff said:
Nitrogen itself won't increase mpg. However, most people do not check their tire PSI often enough as the weather and seasons change. Nitrogen won't change PSI with temperature as much as air. So it can improve mpg but more likely it will reduce tire wear.
That's not a problem with the good ol TPM system :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts