Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all new member here, first time ever postiong on a forum so be patient.

Just signed up to ask a question. I purchased my Steel Blue Caliber R/T in March for my daily commuter. Got 10,500 miles on it and love it. No issues yet but the normal items. Loaded R/T but no Musicgate.

I have built a custom Sub box that fits on the driver side in the space behind the rear wheel well and extends over the top of the wheel well for the extra air volume. Solid face of box covers wheel well as well for solid look and to provide a mounting serface for fire/ice 750 watt amp. Sealed box to house 10" audiobahn. Trunk cover hides set up nicely.

I have the 6 disk factory radio and want to keep it due to the wheel controls. Now need help with parts needed for amp conection prior to pulling radio and dash. I am no audio pro but have installed amps via preamp conections to aftermarket radios.

Is there a remote turn on wire off the factory radio and if so what color is it?

What exactly do I need to conect my factory radio to the amp. I am assuming there is not preamps on the back of the radio.

I saw some talk about a line output converter. I am keeping the 4 door speakers running off the HU. If I need a line output converter please advise on how it hooks up and any advice on what brand/type to purchase.

I replaced my door speakers with 93 db 3 way Pioneer (TS-A6971R) 6x9's and am happy with mids/highs from those. Just need to finish up the bass project!!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Yes, you will need a line level converter to hook up your amp, either that or an amp with line level inputs(they do make them) You will have to splice into your rear speaker wires to get the inputs you need. And the line level converters never sound as good as actual RCA connections. You will lose some sound quality with them.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Your bestbet fort ease of installation is to do what I did in your situation. Splice into the speaker wires coming out of the stereo (you don't have to cut them, but you can. I just sliced the insulation and sprest it apart, then wrapped a new wire around it) Run the speaker wires back to your amp. Set up your amp to always be on when the car is on, it won't hurt it. Then run your own wires from yor amp to the door speakers or backup to the front to the stock wires (they will have to be cut if you choose this route)

Whatever you do, do NOT use a line level converter, they really are crap. Find an amp that uses low level inputs (speaker wires) you will get decent sound.

·
Registered
44 Posts
john151ama - by keeping your stock head unit, your best bet will be to use a line out converter. A line out converter will have the remote turn on lead that you need and it will give you the preamp outputs (usually 1 pair) that you need to go to the amp. You will need to tap into the existing speaker leads to use the converter. Best place to tap into the speaker leads is behind the head unit because you'll need a left and a right. If you're not sure which color wires coming out of the head unit are the speaker leads, go to a local car audio retailer (Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.) and get a wiring harness and a reverse wiring harness. The reverse harness will plug into the stock head unit and the regular harness will plug into the factory harness (which you'll have to unplug from the stock head unit) and then you will connect the two harnesses together and splice your converter between the two harness. This eliminates having to mess with stripping factory wires. Don't worry about sound quality when using the line out converter. You're only hooking it up to a subwoofer. If you've got highs coming out of your sub, something's not set right on your amp.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help. Do you know if there is a remote turn on wire off of the HU or do I need to do the splice in to the power outlet route?

·
Registered
44 Posts
You're not going to find a remote turn-on wire off the head unit or a pair of rca's. Factories don't do that because they want you to buy their upgraded audio systems.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
just run a wire to the wiper fuse since it is switched with the ignition. that way your battery will not have a constant load on it.
Bryan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts