Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a new owner of Caliber and a new member to this board, I just thought it would be good form to introduce myself and say "HI". My profession is computers/IT and I live in Germany. I bought the Caliber to replace my aging VW (which I sold last week). My other car is a '96 Nissan.

I was going to post a picture of my new ride, but board rules won't let me link to pictures from another location until I have more posts here. I understand the rule and why it's there, so pics will have to wait until a later date. Until then, you can see a small picture of both my cars in my signature block.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Let me be the first to welcome you Michael!:) Enjoy your stay, post away & don't be afraid to have some fun here. Lots of good folks here to answer most any questions you may have.

Medic

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rocked said:
How close do you live to Kolbermoor?
I live about 30KM north of Kaiserslautern, just off of A62 near Homburg.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I still don't know where that is at. Do you know where roseheim is? I will be there at the end of the month the beer fest starts the last saturday of August. I work for a company out of Kolbermoor which is right next to Rosenheim, come over a couple of times a year for so called training, but the actually the training consist of how many of those liters glasses I can drink:D

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rocked said:
I still don't know where that is at.
To get a perspective get mapquest directions between Herschweiler-Pettersheim (where I live) and Kolbermoor. I'm closer to France and Luxembourg while Kolbermoor is closer to Austria.

I'd post a link to the mapquest directions, but I can't yet.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Good morning. From WA State. I hope you end up loving your car as much as I do. I have had mine since June 24 and love it. Mia

·
Registered
203 Posts
Welcome aboard... and have fun with the Caliber and here on the forums...

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thank you all for your warm welcome.

I picked up delivery of my Claiber on 29 July. I had ordered it on 5 April. It took almost four months for Dodge to build it for me and deliver it to Germany.

I plan to do some minor (non-warranty voiding) mods to it. The first one will be wheels. I didn't want to be restricted to the wheels Dodge offers. I figure for the price of wheels, I will get something from a larger selection and get what I want.

I hope to be able to get some advice from other Claiber owners and offer advice when I can.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hey Welcome :) I hope you love your car. It's great you only had to wait 4 months on your car. People here in the states are waiting longer than you! :eek:

I want to change my wheels to...I'm just concerned about my tire pressure monitoring system if I try since the sensors are in the valve stems :( Not to mention bigger tires mean worse gas mileage :( Oh well, atleast I'll look good :)

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
wellcome to the board i am from germany also ,Salzgitter in niedersachsen but live since 92 in hamilton canada .Have fun with your new caliber(auch auf der autobahn) have fun und viel spass Thomas

·
Registered
160 Posts
Another german guy here - living in Hamburg and still waiting for my Caliber to come though :rolleyes:

About 4 month of waiting for a car, ordered 1 1/2 month before the Caliber even was introduced to the german market? :eek: And it is "only" the SE version without even having any fancy extras, isn't it?

Well, at least you have a Caliber!

btw - which engine did you choose?

Edit - 2nd glance on your pictures let me think, that you went with the "S" version instead of the "SE" - is that correct?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I went with the 1.8L/5sp. Being a middle age family man, I had mine built more for practicality than performance. I did go with some of the cenviences such as power windows/locks, keyless entry, security system, 6disc/MP3, daytime running lights, audio input jack, 110V outlet, A/C, and cruise control. It is a U.S. spec car.

I got a Limited Edition SE (a SE with some options not normally available on the SE). Total cost, including overseas shipping, was $16,000.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Michael K. said:
I went with the 1.8L/5sp. Being a middle age family man, I had mine built more for practicality than performance. I did go with some of the cenviences such as power windows/locks, keyless entry, security system, 6disc/MP3, daytime running lights, audio input jack, 110V outlet, A/C, and cruise control. It is a U.S. spec car.

I got a Limited Edition SE (a SE with some options not normally available on the SE). Total cost, including overseas shipping, was $16,000.
Well, 16K $ seem to be a reasonable price for that much car!

The rear head rests kinda fooled me I think - ordering an US-version sounds logical though, since there wouldn't have been much european specs available in early April I guess :rolleyes:

How about the "extended 5* warranty"? Did you still buy the car through an official Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge dealer?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Swoop said:
......And it is "only" the SE version without even having any fancy extras, isn't it? .....
Well not quite !
The SE is bristling with fancy extras, its just one or two things missing is all.

I have ordered the SE version and here is a list of all the things that I am NOT getting, and SXT owners will get, which is not much realy when you look at it.

1.Auto dimming mirrors.----> I can live without this feature, no big deal.

2.Colour coded consol and seat inserts----> I like this feature the most out of all the extras, but its no great loss.

3.Over carpets ---->Had them as freebies with the deal.

4.illuminated entry----> I wont miss this extra.

5.Passenger grab handles----> Never ever used stuff like this.

6. 9 speaker 458 watt 6 CD + music gate----> I invairiably never drive with music blairing out, so I wont miss this feature.

7.Tyre pressure monitoring----> this could have been useful..I suppose as fuel mpg suffers slightly on incorrectly deflated tryes !

8. 18"Alloys---> I've actualy ordered the custom Dodge 17" Equinox alloys at extra cost, they are better than the 18" std version. They are similar to BMW Alpina wheels.

9.Body colured side mouldings deck tints----> I can get these as an accessory if I wish.

10.Fog lamps----> I've never realy used these on any car I had with them.

11.Chrome grill----> No big deal, In the UK chrome grills are out of fashion and colour coding is in. However the chrome grill does look nice on the Caliber, it suits it and I could get it as an accessory later if I wanted.

oh and cruise control would have been nice but not essential.

And thats it, thats all I'm "losing out" by having the SE instead of the SXT.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Swoop said:
. . .ordering an US-version sounds logical though, since there wouldn't have been much european specs available in early April I guess
Ok, I think I need to clarify something here. I am living in Germany, and have been in Germany since early 2000. I lived in Portugal before that. I am, however, a U.S. citizen serving in the U.S. Air Force. While I could have very easily bought a Euro spec car, I decided to go with U.S. spec because I never know where the AF will send me next and I plan on keeping this car for at least 10 years (I'll be retiring from the AF in six years).

I guess I should have cleared that up from the beginning. Just because I live in Germany, doesn't mean I'm German. I'll be leaving Germany in 2008. In all honesty, I would love to live here longer than eight years but I don't have much choice in the matter.

I bought the car through the military exchange service in Mannheim and got the overseas warranty coverage. If I have any problems, the local German Dodge dealer will take care of the warranty work for me.

·
Registered
160 Posts
xlr8 - take a little looksie at this one here > http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25085&postcount=6

Seems as if we are pretty close when it comes down to our Caliber choice ;)

When I wrote "only SE without fancy extras", I rather meant that there was no extras such like an additional moon roof, 18" wheels, leather interior or whatsoever, which might have slowed down production due to availability somehow.

By no means I was going to talk shabby about the SE Caliber!! Even have one on order myself (signature).

·
Registered
141 Posts
Right guys, here is a list of Caliber stuff that SE owners will have.
SXT owners have all this stuff as well of course

Air con
Auxiliary power socket
cargo cover
firm feel power sterering
illuminated cupholders
removable torch
driver seat height adjustment
chillzone glove box
fold flat front passenger seat
fold flat load floor storage
reclining rear seats
centre armrest---wish I didnt !
tachometer
temp and compass
cloth upholstery
4 speakers music system with AM/FM+CD
ABS brakes
Traction Control
driver passenger airbags
ESP ( Diesel only )
full length curtain airbags
headlamp levelers
locking filler fuel cap
childproof locks
remote keyless entry
Thatcham category 1 Alarm and Immobilser
tilt steering column
power folding heating door mirrors
solar control glass*
european suspension pack**

NOTE:
* I think the glass is self tinting like 'reactolite rapide' sunglasses and may only be on European versions...not sure please comment on this one guys !

** The European suspension pack is only installed on the Calibers for European markets. It consist's of stiffer springs and harder shocks, As USA cars tend to have softer suspension.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts