Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my steel blue sxt on friday:D ...i've been reading this forum a lot over the past few weeks and have a couple questions now that i have mine...

1. the dashboard lighting...i did a search and noticed people saying the dash was too bright. i find the opposite...am i clueless about where a dimmer control would be that i haven't found?

2. when i use the key remote to unlock and also when i open the doors, no interior lights go on...i thought all cars would provide some light at some point...the map lights do work when the button is pushed on and off but never when i enter or exit...normal?

3. passenger 2 airbag light...is this supposed to stay illuminated if no one is in the passenger seat. it goes on for about ten second then turns off...when someone is seated it goes on and off much faster (i think i;ve only had someone in the car once:eek: )

thanks for your help in any answers you can give. i'm sure there will be more questions coming

btw...i live in san francisco and since i've been looking at calibers since the first week of june, i've only seen two!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Unfortunately, my owners manual is in my Caliber - which is at the dealer now to correct a factory defect.

However, if I recall correctly, the dimmer for the dashlights is on the left side shaft beside the steering wheel - the one you pull to turn on your high beam headlights. Just rotate the knob-type device that is, I believe, in the center.

I believe the interior lighting coming on with the remote is a setting that you can easily program - the instructions are in the manual.

As mentioned in some previous discussions here and in the owners manual, the passenger side seat has a built-in sensor device that detects whether someone is sitting in that seat or not. If the sensor determines that no one is sitting on the seat, the airbag is deactivated. This prevents an unnecessary deployment (and expensive replacement) of that airbag in case of a collision when there is no passenger in that seat.

As I stated, I'm relying on memory for all of this as my vehicle is now at the dealership.

Regardless, you can locate all of these items and many others that help you familiarize yourself with the Caliber and it's controls/features by browsing the owners manual - or at least looking up the particular topic in the index and/or chapter headings.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Did you get a manual?

I can answer a couple of questions, remote options, including lights can be programmed two ways, either by the remote itself or if you have the drivers convienence package, on the gauges.

The airbags sound like they are working normally, they should do a test (light) at start up.

·
Registered
901 Posts
2. when i use the key remote to unlock and also when i open the doors, no interior lights go on...i thought all cars would provide some light at some point...the map lights do work when the button is pushed on and off but never when i enter or exit...normal?
Well, it could be normal, or maybe not. Check a couple of things...

First: On the turn signal stalk, the inner dial rotates to dim or light the dash and console lights. Turned all the way away from you there is a slight detent and all the cabin lights go on. If this dial is turned all the way towards you instead, the interior lights will be off. Perhaps that is the cause. Odd that it would get thru dealer prep that way, but possible I suppose.

Second: When you park the car and shut off the key, the radio will keep playing for 45 seconds OR until you open a door... Does the radio stop playing when you open the door? If the radio keeps playing, your car may have a faulty "door open" sensor -- some other members here did too. This can be fixed at the dealership.

3. passenger 2 airbag light...is this supposed to stay illuminated if no one is in the passenger seat. it goes on for about ten second then turns off...when someone is seated it goes on and off much faster (i think i;ve only had someone in the car once:eek: )
When you noticed the light staying on longer than usual, did you have anything sitting on the seat (heavy purse, book bag, etc), or were you leaning on the seat? If so, the weight sensors in the seat were probably trying to determine how much weight was on the seat. The passenger airbag will be disabled (and the light on) if the weight is within a certain (undocumented) range.

Pages 44-45 of the owners manual explains how the passenger airbag disabled light works, including a table that lists when the light should be on or off.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Harley said:
Unfortunately, my owners manual is in my Caliber - which is at the dealer now to correct a factory defect.
I tell ya, we need 2 manuals - one for in the car and one by the computer! :p

·
Registered
126 Posts
meghannsf said:
I just got my steel blue sxt on friday:D ...i've been reading this forum a lot over the past few weeks and have a couple questions now that i have mine...

1. the dashboard lighting...i did a search and noticed people saying the dash was too bright. i find the opposite...am i clueless about where a dimmer control would be that i haven't found?

thanks for your help in any answers you can give. i'm sure there will be more questions coming

btw...i live in san francisco and since i've been looking at calibers since the first week of june, i've only seen two!
1. The dimmer contol for the light is on the turn signal shaft. If I can remember, there is a knob to turn lights on, right next to that, is a small piece that turns forward and backwards, that is the one that controlls the brightness of the dash/odometer/radio lights.

2. I have the SE no remote lock. Kicking myself, becuz it is an option in the SE.

3. The only way the passenger side airbag stays illuminated is there is enough weight in the seight but not enough to turn it off. I don't have the manual handy, it tells you there. The light is off if there is no one in the seat, but on if they are or the things do not weigh enough.

Hope that helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts