Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I was proud to say that I am a new Caliber owner. Had been checking out the forums, so here goes.

History. About 6 months ago I bought a new 4 door Wrangler. Biggest POS I have ever owned. It was in the shop 3 of those months.

Finally, I'd had enough. Between what I was paying for it, the problems I was having, and my wife and I having a change of 'strategy' in our bill paying (trying to now pay stuff off quickly to purchase our 'dream' home). I decided to take my lumps and get rid of it.

My neighbor works for DC, and offered me a F&F code because of all the troubles I've been having with the Jeep.

So, trade it in on a new caliber. Did ok, with the discount I got, I was happy spending about $150-200 less a month on gas, payment, insurance, etc. Bought a black SXT, pretty happy with it.

Although, I notice on the second day I have it, it's leaking OIL!!!! So, I check the dipstick and it is WAAAAY overfilled, probably a quarter inch above the safe line. Ok, so they over filled it.

Brought it in exactly 7 days after I bought it.....

Porous Block. Entire engine needs to be replaced.

I'm so sick of DC and their lack of quality control, I don't want it back... I don't want a new one ...

Sorry for the rant ... on my first post!! LOL

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Man that sucks! sorry to hear that. I would make then replace the entire car if you can. Also ask your neighbor for some assistance too...hopefully he has some pull.

·
Registered
683 Posts
DC has very good quality control from my experience. Every auto maker produces some lemons. You just seem to have had more than your share. I've owned 4 Dodges since 2000 and all of them have been great. Far better than my older Nissans, GM's and more. Furthermore Chrysler warranty has been outstanding at making things right including paying an $1800 repair bill after the warranty had expired.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well My cailber has 6800 miles and been running well

·
Registered
644 Posts
^^ how bout when lifes gives you lemons, make lemonade... lemons and tequila arent offen paired. usually limes and tequila for those who need training wheels... otherwise, a good tequila can be consumed on its own, just like a good scotch ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well, a little update. Don't know quite sure how to 'handle'.

I've been trying to call 'everyone'. Sales Manager, General Manager, Sales Guy ... no contact. Left multiple messages, no one returns my call.

So, called the bank, see if I could work the 'no pay' angle. No go.

So, I called Chrysler ... told a nice gentleman the whole story (including the Jeep), gave him names, phone numbers, any information I had.

He puts me on hold, comes back about 2-3 minutes later. Says he talked to the service advisor that I have talked to about the car. He said that it's not a porous block, but a leaking rear main, and that it should be fixed by Monday.

I think that's news with a double edged sword. As bad as it was leaking, that was my 'first guess' , I've replaced many a rear main in older cars (you know, the kind you can actually do stuff yourself on). And when I dropped it off, I fully expected them to say this. Within an hour, they (service goobs), determined that it was not the rear main, but a porous block. I have also not heard from the service guy that it IS the rear main, only what I heard 'second hand' from the Chrysler Customer service rep.

So, either I've had a simple fix (comparitively) completely misdiagnosed and the service techs don't know sh*t, or they are blowing smoke up Chrysler's a$$ to get Chrysler off their case, and are still unsure. To be honest, to throw a 'porous block' cause out into the wind is a pretty bold step if you don't know for sure. And if they were unsure, they shouldn't have said anything other than 'We don't have a cause yet, we need to confer with Chrysler Technical'

Last I talked to the service guy, he said that they weren't even going to be able to pull the tranny until today (friday) to confer with Chrysler.

Something just doesn't add up. My worry is that they are going to 'fix' the rear main, give it back to me, and it's still going to leak, and we'll have to start round two.

arrrrrgggghhhhh.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Interesting, never heard of the "porous block" excuse. Has anyone heard of an actual "porous block" situation before... or are those service guys bald-face liars?

Hope your Caliber gets fixed soon IndyCJ! Mine has 10k miles on it now and runs great. There were a few problems at first but they have all been repaired. It's an enjoyable ride now.

·
Registered
253 Posts
GOT said:
Interesting, never heard of the "porous block" excuse. Has anyone heard of an actual "porous block" situation before... or are those service guys bald-face liars?

Hope your Caliber gets fixed soon IndyCJ! Mine has 10k miles on it now and runs great. There were a few problems at first but they have all been repaired. It's an enjoyable ride now.
ford hade a bunch when i was in high school they sent them to us as student to "mess" around with, the whoe enegen

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, got it back yesterday, much to my surprise.

They were still 'unsure' of what EXACTLY was wrong, they thought it was either the rear main, or the freeze plug that's in the back of the block. They replaced both as a precaution.

A little worrying that everytime I get out of the car now, I'm checking for a tell tale oil spot, but so far, so good.

I've at least gotten a 'reference number' from Chrysler customer service. If I have any more issues (hopefully not), I can fall back on that.

·
Registered
246 Posts
You appear to be less angry with the situation, and that's good. I did a little searching on porous blocks and found it's not unheard of, and definately not unique to any engine maker:

(Volvo) http://www.swedishbricks.net/700900FAQ/960-90Info1.html#Porous%20960%20B6304%20Blocks

(General Motors - post by paul8488) http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-4885.html

(Honda) http://www.hybridcars.com/forums/archive/2006-civic-hybrid-t538.html

These are just a few. So far at least your dealer seems to have come up with the solution even though it took a while. If not, take it back and if that still doesn't give you complete satisfaction, if your from the USA, you can always have it Lemon Law'ed. Good luck, hope it works out well and let me say welcome to Caliber forums!

Medic

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
IndyCJ said:
... My worry is that they are going to 'fix' the rear main, give it back to me, and it's still going to leak, and we'll have to start round two.
arrrrrgggghhhhh.
I've encountered situations like this before.

If my diligent efforts hit this stage, I will give them ONE opportunity to do what THEY recommend - provided it is indeed a reasonably fast and convenient process, or that they adequately compensate my time and effort (loaner vehicle, a few "freebees" in parts or other routine service, etc.

THEN, if their way is unsuccessful - it's MY turn so set the expectations that become demands that comply with strict warranty promises/procedures and the "lemon laws" of that jurisdiction.

Just be sure to get all actions they are recommending IN WRITING, as they stated it to you of the suspected problem they claim, PRIOR TO THE ACTUAL WORK BEING DONE (at a minimum, have it recorded on the service order when you take it in, and ensure that THAT is the SAME one that you receive and subsequently SIGN when you receive the vehicle back and check out from the dealership), and KEEP all documentation you receive.

Maintain a "diary" of your efforts (if you aren't already) - of the full who/what/where/when/etc to include the names of who you spoke with, what was said, time/date, phone versus in-person contacts, etc.

I've had full success either way with such efforts. When any businessperson saw that I was holding them responsible and building up solid documentation to resolve a situation - while starting with and maintaining personable and respectful yet professional attitude toward them - they USUALLY realize that they should do what is proper in turn. Remember, most persons that you have such problems with are business people who are looking at the end result of a profit with the least possible overhead and "hassle".

In the few cases where I HAD to take further action (arbitration or court), I've never lost - because I had the documentation, treated THEM right despite frustrations, was reasonable in my expectations and actions from the beginning, and only escalated and intensified my efforts to resolve the matter to firmer and formal resolution methods after THEIR recommendations and actions failed.

·
Registered
70 Posts
sorry to hear about your experience with both your Jeep and the Caliber. I purchased a Caliber almost a year ago and had nothing but trouble with it. I just traded it in for a new Wrangler last week and could not be happier. My Caliber was in the shop at least 7 times to replace the exhaust, front bushings, squeeky struts, shocks, roof squeeks, intermittent working wheel radio buttons, drivers side door noises, clock springs and the list goes on. Some were replaced multiple times and in the shop for the same 2 to 3 times. There were even more parts on order that I was waiting on when I traded it in. The Caliber really fit my needs however it was still making annoying noises and just all around disatisfied me. Too much my surprise the Jeep is just as quiet as my Caliber was and no squeeks at all. I just wish I had never traded my other Jeep in last year to begin with.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
PAJeep said:
I just wish I had never traded my other Jeep in last year to begin with.
Amen to that.

I traded in my Rubicon for the 4 door JK (I needed the room), biggest mistake I've ever done. Hopefully the caliber will be ok. I like the mpg so far.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts