Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked it up today, so far, so good....

Long story- bought it in principle from one dealership last Saturday. They had no stock, but assured us that they could get one, so we were okay. The ALL IN price (employee friends) was $31700 CDN. This was for the R/T, all options but smokers, and with a factory roof, no after-market. (price included $1050 deliver, $100 air tax, $75 gas tax).

On Sunday, we built the car on line, searched locally via the DC site, and found one in Rexdale. Monday we told our dealer about it.

We sold out Grand Am Monday nite which was great. We agree that we would deliver it to them Fri nite.

Come Wed, the local dealer still did not get that, or a similar car! So we cancelled that deal and went to the Resxdale dealership directly.

We bought the same car for $30,900! $800 less than what should have also been employee friends pricing. Go figure.

This morning, we picked it up. Added the chrome filler door (dealer cost), they gave us lock nuts, some touch up paint, we added fuzzy dice & rubber mats. :)

So far, its been okay. The rear doors are lighter than my PT's door, and lighter than the Grand Am which we sold.

I alos own an 2002 AWD Caravan, so we are indeed a Mopar family now. I'll post pics after 4 posts I guess :(

S

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Welcome to Caliberforums Sean!:)

Glad to see you got what you wanted, at a lower price at that!

Congrats!

Post pictures of the Black Beauty!:cool:

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
When you say all the options, I hope for $31,000 you at least got the Nav system. And, is that with both sales taxes included?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
xlimodriver said:
When you say all the options, I hope for $31,000 you at least got the Nav system. And, is that with both sales taxes included?
Yes- the price we paid to the dealer, after all taxes and whatever, was $30,900 cdn. The list price on the car, with options and delivery, was $30,300. The $30,900 that we paid (including the 14% taxes), when backed out, reducing whatever crap they charge (registration fees, licence fees, dealer fee, ....) showed the Discount line on the yellow sheet to be $2072. We did have to show a DC control number when we picked it up.

The Nav system would be aftermarket, no thanks. I already have a Garmin iQue for GPS navigation.

What are the typical Canadian prices for an R/T with all the options?? The on line config showed the following:

R/T: $23,995
RAQ 6 CD/MP3: $455
Roof: $850
Premium sound: $395
Conv. group: $250
Leather: $750
Security: $195
18x7 chrome clad: $650
Uconnect: $295
Sub: $27835
discount: $2072
add: $1050, $100, $75, their $100
Add 14% taxes
Add $20 licence
Total $30,900

When I bought the PT back in 2000, it was PAY STICKER or go away! We seemed to have run into that locally here too lately. The R/Ts are not staying on the lots (with roof an 18" options). Not sure why, even the local dealership could not swap with another for an R/T.

Just noticed a few oddities tonite:

- the window switches do NOT light up!!
- the air flow, from the dash vents, ain't too good! (it was a brutally hot day today)
- there is no rear duct like there is in the PT and was in the GA
- the headlights are NOT automatic
- there is no factory tint on the glass
- BLACK is hot
- the 18+ chromes are actually a chrome face over top of aluminum. I wanted the chrome to reduce tire bead leaks and the not-avoidable, aluminum oxidation issue. Looks like we did not avoid that after all. The 18" wheels/tires are sure kick-ass though for a car this size.
- the stereo is very nice, good sound.
- moon roof is auto open as well as auto close. Watch your arm!

Forgive the horrific typos in post 1, we were rushed to go for a ride... :eek:

S

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Post 3, I can post pics now:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Awesome looking car!! Good job in doing your homework, it paid off!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RadioDude said:
Awesome looking car!! Good job in doing your homework, it paid off!
Thanks- I think it did too. I went into the Stealership Wed, and just laid down the law. Told him I was not in a good mood, that I did not want to waste his or my time, and we could be done in 30 minutes. My youngest daughter said I was too hard on the guy, I called it "King of Cars" in reverse. ;)

Actually, the sales dude was pleasureable, and knowing the car and features ahead of time I think let him know that we were not pushovers.

I have never owned a black car, MAN is it sharp (when its clean :cool: ).

(P.S. it really is the wife's car. I guess I need to state that incase she reads here....) ;) :(

·
Registered
267 Posts
It's sad that you have to be mean (fixed spelling in this post) to car dealers to not be totally bent over (pardon my English). The dealership I went to happens to be our largest advertising client in terms of money spent per year (I work for a locally owned radio/TV conglomerate).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sean said:
Thanks- I think it did too. I went into the Stealership Wed, and just laid down the law. Told him I was not in a good mood, that I did not want to waste his or my time, and we could be done in 30 minutes. My youngest daughter said I was too hard on the guy, I called it "King of Cars" in reverse. ;)

Actually, the sales dude was pleasureable, and knowing the car and features ahead of time I think let him know that we were not pushovers.

I have never owned a black car, MAN is it sharp (when its clean :cool: ).

(P.S. it really is the wife's car. I guess I need to state that incase she reads here....) ;) :(
Maybe we all should have a Cali Cruise. once you go black you never go back

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mike said:
Maybe we all should have a Cali Cruise. once you go black you never go back
Funny. When I bought my PT in 00, I thought of a PT Cruise. In June 2001, I had Cruise the Falls 1. It had 275 PTs from all over North America. In 2003, I had 613 PTs! Last year (2005), there were 500.

I called it Cruise the Falls. Wife unit said yesterday "DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT".... This is what 600 PT Cruiser look like all in one spot by the way:

(my site: http://www.cruisethefalls.com (I stopped doing this last year for a number of reasons but it was FUN!!)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sean said:
Funny. When I bought my PT in 00, I thought of a PT Cruise. In June 2001, I had Cruise the Falls 1. It had 275 PTs from all over North America. In 2003, I had 613 PTs! Last year (2005), there were 500.

I called it Cruise the Falls. Wife unit said yesterday "DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT".... This is what 600 PT Cruiser look like all in one spot by the way:

(my site: http://www.cruisethefalls.com (I stopped doing this last year for a number of reasons but it was FUN!!)

There was a pt cruise in WNY a few months ago they raised over $12000 for a kids group and had over 500 cars show up. I saw them all on tv news handing over a huge check

·
Registered
361 Posts
Sean said:
What are the typical Canadian prices for an R/T with all the options?? The on line config showed the following:

R/T: $23,995
RAQ 6 CD/MP3: $455
Roof: $850
Premium sound: $395
Conv. group: $250
Leather: $750
Security: $195
18x7 chrome clad: $650
Uconnect: $295
Sub: $27835
discount: $2072
add: $1050, $100, $75, their $100
Add 14% taxes
Add $20 licence
Total $30,900
Nice find, it's just what I wanted too. I was at that dealer before I bought mine, and all they had were SE and SXT models. Quite a few of them as well. I had to order mine, it just went to D1 status this week.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Sean said:
- the air flow, from the dash vents, ain't too good! (it was a brutally hot day today)
- there is no rear duct like there is in the PT and was in the GA
The airflow does suck on hot days... I have learned as soon as I get in the car and start it to hit the recirculate button (which I wish would stay on)

As far as the rear ducts... they are under each seat. I think it was the same in my PT Cruiser.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mike said:
There was a pt cruise in WNY a few months ago they raised over $12000 for a kids group and had over 500 cars show up. I saw them all on tv news handing over a huge check
We called that the "copy cat" event! ;) There were actually 150 PTs, the amount raised has not been made public yet! (even their website is a bit vague, stating "xxx PTs attended", but "250 people"! ) The check was a mock cheque (check). The real amount is still pending. :rolleyes: (by contrast, we knew on site within 10% what our amount would be and made the mock cheque on site). I commend these people for doing this event, just wish they were more open but that is for them to deal with now, not I.

Ducts under the seat- thanks. I didn't look too deeply, just felt with my hands. The PTs rear openings are right there! You can see them, could not see the Cali's (yet).

S

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Principal said:
Nice find, it's just what I wanted too. I was at that dealer before I bought mine, and all they had were SE and SXT models. Quite a few of them as well. I had to order mine, it just went to D1 status this week.
What dealership? Check Ontario Chrysler (you will have to BUILD a Caliber on line, using your postal code), then serach for inventory. Our last search showed an R/T red with everything, at Ontario Chrysler, Dixie Rd Mississauga.

Dixie Chrysler in Brampton just got a load Friday- blue, white, black, only 1 had a roof.

Can I ask (ballpark) what you paid????? :confused:

S

·
Registered
44 Posts
hey sean, nice ride! i too am from brampton. my black sxt fully loaded came in yesterday!! only 4 1/2 months later!! pretty funny though ,my other vehicle is also a pt !! what dealership screwed you around??

·
Registered
361 Posts
Sean said:
What dealership? Check Ontario Chrysler (you will have to BUILD a Caliber on line, using your postal code), then serach for inventory. Our last search showed an R/T red with everything, at Ontario Chrysler, Dixie Rd Mississauga.

Dixie Chrysler in Brampton just got a load Friday- blue, white, black, only 1 had a roof.

Can I ask (ballpark) what you paid????? :confused:

S
Is that Ontario Chrysler the one just south of the 401? That was one of the first dealers I went to. They annoyed the hell out of me. It was also the first dealer I had ever been to in my life, maybe they traumatized me just a little :) I eventually ordered from the Team Chrysler dealership in that auto-mall area just north of that dealer. (Aerowood + 401 -- They've just moved to Mavis road, south of the 401).

I paid a bit over (I don't have the actual paper work with me atm) $25K for everything except the chrome wheels, sunroof (i'm too damn tall for it :(), and I left the stereo with the standard one in case something better shows up one day. Plus the 1050$ for delivery, $100 air conditioning tax, and a free can of Nestea ;) I only got $704 off on it though, but I'm happy with that even.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hey, welcome to the Black R/T club.

You mention a 'factory' roof rack but it doesn't appear in your photo. I bought one when I bought my Caliber, and it arrived about 4 weeks later. I haven't installed it yet and not sure I will. Please post pics of your roof rack when you can, thanks.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
caliberico said:
hey sean, nice ride! i too am from brampton. my black sxt fully loaded came in yesterday!! only 4 1/2 months later!! pretty funny though ,my other vehicle is also a pt !! what dealership screwed you around??
Congrats!! Watch for me, I'll watch for you!! :p Actually, watch for the wife, its really her car. :(

Brampton Chrysler kinda screwed me around. I bought my van from them exactly 3 years ago, was pretty happy then. Not too happy now. I will be going to Dixie for warranty work on the Caliber.

Had the windows tinted today (my neighbour did 35% front, 5% all the other 5) for under $200!! He is a pro and does jobs out of his house on weekends. Want his address?? :D

We bought a black rubber back matt for the rear area, a 3x4 ft one from Walmart fits okay. I see some dude in Bradford sells a fitted mat, that allows for fold down. I emailed him for a Toronto price.

Here it is:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DODGE-CALIBER-2006-2007-CARGO-LINER-TRAY-171-FL_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33697QQihZ008QQitemZ180012764004QQrdZ1

Metro- I meant to say that it was the factory SUN ROOF! The stealership here offered an after market one on a black RT that did not have a factory roof. A factory roof will have rolled (stamped) edges and water channels down the A pillar for water. Aftermarkets won't. We did not want aftermarket sun roof. Sorry for the confusion.

Principal- (what school you at??). I am 6 ft tall, I found the Caliber had more head room than the PT. I also found that in the R/T, (maybe others), the seat moves up and down using a lever like a pump. Cool! Wife wanted the roof, she is 5-4, maybe 5-5. (and of course, 29, 110 pounds, and has been for many years I think :rolleyes: ) So be it.

Nice to meet you all.

S (J section in Brampton)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts