Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my Caliber in last week to have them look at the exhaust for the pinging and a rattle as well, the dealer looked it up on the computer and found that there are replacement parts available to correct the problem, so it is nice to see that they at least recognize that they have a problem, my car makes a pinging noise for at least 10 minutes while cooling down.

Here are another couple of issues that I have found.

- Cool Zone latch does not stay open so the cooler isnt getting the air in so it doesnt work
- Center armrest needs a lock on it, it just slides back and forth, not good
- Rattle in the front console somewhere
- drivers side door doesnt fit flush to the car
- outside temperature gauge seems to be way off some days

With all that being said, I really do still love the vehicle, could use a little more get up and go of the line though...I guess you cant have it all for under $20,000. Just for reference I own a Steel Blue SXT

Cheers

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
ryebrei said:
I guess you cant have it all for under $20,000.
WHAT:eek: You mean to tell me that we should be content with defects simply because we didn't spend over $20k??? Damn. I spent my hard earned money and I want that machine to perform without reasonable flaw. I think it's perfectly reasonable to have a good working car regardless of how much was spent on it. My last three cars (89 Omni, 97 Cavalier and 02 Cavalier) had NO PROBLEMS like what I have with this Caliber. Sure they were not Cadillacs, Vipers or RAM trucks but they performed flawlessly and they all cost me under $14k! I mean the Calibers had lousy brakes that I had to replace at 20,000 miles but that was absolutely all that I had a problem with until I hit 70,000 miles with both of those cars. And the Omni lasted me to 115,000 miles before I had to do ANYTHING besides replacing brakes/rotors.

Yes of course we had a brand new-model-car and these things are known to happen. That means dealers and manufacturers should also be very accommodating and cooperative... I think, don’t you?

$20,000 (or even the $18,000 I spent) better buy me a lot better car than $14,000.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, yeah, I totally agree with you, thats not what I was getting at, that may have come out wrong. If I pay $20,000 for a car and there are problems, believe me, I'm getting them fixed!! I'm not saying any of these problem are acceptable, and to be honest a few of them are down right embarrassing, I dont know how some of these issues got overlooked, they have the COOL ZONE as a big selling feature and the thing doesnt have a proper locking device to stay open, no locking device on the armrest is unacceptable too, not to mention the fit and finish on the car, I have heard several people mention the doors not fitting flush. Anyway, it is the 1st year of this model so there will be issues.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Not sure if this will help with the outside temp display. The sensor is usually mounted near the front of the car, front bumper area. When parked, underhood temps will naturally affect the sensor, giving a false high reading after being parked with the engine hot. Quite often, after driving for a few minutes, the temp will return to normal. Same would apply if you are stuck in a traffic jam on a hot day.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Most of these problems that I've seen posted seem to be wit the SXT. I have an R/T 4 days old and have none of these problems (knock on wood) outside of couple of the annoyances posted (armrest and Chill Zone).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE New Parts Ordered from dealer for pinging FIXED!!

Took my car in yesterday to fix the popping and pinging sound from the muffler and I am happy to say that it is completely gone, they actually replaced the entire exhaust system and said that they expect to see alot of these cars back, they also fixed the sliding door in the chillzone it only took them about 2 hours to get it done, I am very satisfied and NO MORE PINGING NOISE.......They said that the exhaust systems were tightened too much on the line which cause internal breakage and did not allow the muffler and pipes to expand. If yours is pinging and popping I would take it in, its great not having to hear that noise.

Cheers !!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Glad to hear you got it fixed! There's hope...

·
Banned
400 Posts
Re: UPDATE New Parts Ordered from dealer for pinging FIXED!!

ryebrei said:
Took my car in yesterday to fix the popping and pinging sound from the muffler and I am happy to say that it is completely gone, they actually replaced the entire exhaust system and said that they expect to see alot of these cars back, they also fixed the sliding door in the chillzone it only took them about 2 hours to get it done, I am very satisfied and NO MORE PINGING NOISE.......They said that the exhaust systems were tightened too much on the line which cause internal breakage and did not allow the muffler and pipes to expand. If yours is pinging and popping I would take it in, its great not having to hear that noise.

Cheers !!
What dealer was this? Name, location, etc...
I told my dealer about this, they said they checked foe a TSB on the matter, but only came up with a resonator as being the problem and replacing it with a new one as the fix.

On the flipside, I contacted DCX this afternoon, and a female said they were aware of the issue, but that NO TSB had been issued until they can order NEW PARTS! Turns out that the resonator in the current crop of Calibers, are not the correct part. WTF??:confused:

She also said, if people are going to a dealer and having parts replaced, that it wil be a WASTE OF TIME because the part will be the same, and the pinging will come back eventually. She said, a TOTALLY NEW PART is being worked on at that moment, and THAT'S when a TSB will be issued.

·
Registered
143 Posts
bah my dealer said there was no tsb for the clicking and said they fixed it by re tourqing the ehxaust. It did nothing it clicks just as much if not more then it ever did before.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not sure about that, my dealer in london, ontario said that the parts they were putting on were new and improved, its been over a week and I have absolutley NO PINGING AT ALL

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Apparently, all they did to fix the chillzone slider was add more foam to the sliding door so it doesnt slide back and forth, it seems to be working fine now.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have the pinging noise comming from the exaust as well in the SE model, but will not push the issue till I go for the 3,000 mile oil change. I also don't hear the engine knocking that most people are talking about, however what I do is hear is a tap at times, not all the times.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I too have had problems with the pinging. But I hadn't really thought about taking it in because it was something that I could overlook. But finally last week I took it to see if they could do something about it.

Too bad my service guys are a bunch of jerks, and basically just told me that this was completely normal noise and that I just wasting my time because there is nothing they would be able to do about it. Fine. So I leave right, pissed off, well guess what happens the next day(Friday). I get a call from this lady, apparently she works for DC, and she tells me that they had ordered some parts to fix my exhaust and that my dealer would be calling me in a couple of days to set up an appointment to install the parts.

:confused:Strange.

So I go back to the service department and the same guy that told me there was nothing wrong with my exhaust, said that the higher ups wanted the dealer to replace some parts, all he said was something about the resonater, and that he was in the dark just like me.

:confused:What gives, Dodge should communicate better with their dealers I mean come on. This runaround is just ridiculous. Hopefully though, in the end, I hope to get rid of this darn Pinging noise.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Re: UPDATE New Parts Ordered from dealer for pinging FIXED!!

ryebrei said:

Cheers !!
Just what I wanted to hear....I want my pinging noise gone for good :(

1 - 20 of 26 Posts